Homestead construction pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homestead construction pics

From the pics it looks like it will offer good racing.

Third Time's The Charm! We Visit The New, [Again], Homestead Miami Speedway

I'm all for flat tracks, but this doesn't look too bad. This season's not even over, and I can't wait for next year.
    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Thanks Ron, this is interesting.

Phil de Montmolin, Homestead’s Public Relations Manager:

And basically what they did to come up with that variable banking system was to place three cars on the start -finish line, three wide, and kept on tweaking it by increasing the banking up the track to where the three cars would finish at the same exact time, going by the same horsepower etc. whereby, by computer design, there are three equal grooves throughout the racetrack.......

...........The one change of note that sometimes gets lost in all this discussion is that the track is being narrowed. It was 72 feet wide, it will now be 55 feet wide. The reason being, we’re really trying to encourage that tight, side by side racing. There’s some tracks that do have the multiple grooves around the track, but because of the width of the track the cars sometimes wind up spaced way far apart. What we’re trying to encourage is that bangin’ , classic NASCAR type style where these guys are really tight, yet side by side.......

.......During this time I asked Phil about the SAFER walls and he assured me that they will be installed by race week, barring unforseen circumstances.
      It looks like the return to Homestead next year will be ineresting.
      "You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
      -John Morley

Comment

Very interesting pictures. Thanks for the link star. The gradual increase in banking doesn't look too bad from those pictures. Brian said that it would be October before they would be able to get an idea on whether it would be safe enough for IRL cars to run on.
        SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
        " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Originally posted by dog-ring
          Very interesting pictures. Thanks for the link star. The gradual increase in banking doesn't look too bad from those pictures. Brian said that it would be October before they would be able to get an idea on whether it would be safe enough for IRL cars to run on.
          I'm more concerned about the narrowing and how the track is going to handle the marbles. All I can picture is by mid race the track becoming a one groove deal.

jmart

Comment

Good article. Not sure I'd want to sit low in turn one - looks like the banking will interfere with line of sight?

Hopefully, these changes will spice up the IndyCar race - I've always thought it was a fairly boring race.

Comment

I was more interested in this section:

Pd This track is unique and the first of it’s kind whereby it was designed almost entirely through the help of computers, and through the latest in technology. GoodYear was a big part of this in providing the technology and the brainpower and the computers to make it all work. And basically what they did to come up with that variable banking system was to place three cars on the start -finish line, three wide, and kept on tweaking it by increasing the banking up the track to where the three cars would finish at the same exact time, going by the same horsepower etc. whereby, by computer design, there are three equal grooves throughout the racetrack. That would satisfy exactly what we are trying to accomplish with this project in side-by-side racing. It’s the first track of it’s kind that has been designed with this kind of technology, by computers, where there are three precisely equal grooves, mathematically, so we’re real excited to see the actual results.
              Professor Joe
              Lost in Indy

"So many of these guys know how to preserve their tires, how to handle traffic and how to win a race. They really deserve to be in Indy cars." - Bob East

Comment

The only problem I have with this is ****** mandated these changes. I will miss the flat turns, however, the new turns might produce the "Texas" style IndyCar racing we are used to seeing.
                RIP Dan Wheldon :(

"Anybody who says the IndyCar Series is not the best championship in the world is a complete idiot in my book." ~Dan Wheldon

"It's a discussion board, not a society ball." ~Skypigeon

Comment

One less race where they have to slow down in the turns!
                  Nolan Ryan was once bitten by a coyote

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X