More on Hornish/Panther

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on Hornish/Panther

I found a couple more interesting comments on the Hornish situation. What do they mean?

Indystar

He did not say if his new team will be in the IRL or NASCAR, or both, which now appears to be the most likely scenario given his admitted interest in competing in the Daytona 500.

"The opportunities I've been given are too good," he said.

Hornish, who won his record-breaking ninth IRL race Sunday at Kentucky Speedway, said money was not a factor in his decision to leave Panther. In fact, team co-owner John Barnes said he was not allowed to make a contract offer even though he expects to have a partnership with Winston Cup team owner Richard Childress next season.
    And from the Panther Racing website, a poster with the clever alias "John Barnes" writes:

No one is more sorry to see Sam leave than us.I don't think Tony, Panther or General Motors could have changed Sam's mind. Today he made a desision that he will now have to live with. We hope nothing but the best for Sam and his family. He has been a true Champion while here. Someone we were all proud to go in to battle with. We currently have 4 more races left in this season. We plan on winning all 4. Then we can all reminisce about the last 3 years. But I can guarantee you one thing come next year our Team will continue to dominate this series without him. Yellow will continue to be the color to wear in Victory Circle! And it will still be fun to watch! Hope to see you there!
    JB]
    If Tony & GM couldn't change Sam's mind, it sounds to me like Nextel Cup Dodge or Ford/Indy one-off Toyota or Honda.
    Last edited by SPM; 08-18-2003, 07:22 PM.

Re: More on Hornish/Panther

Originally posted by SPM

So GM is out???

That would rule out Childress in either series.

Hendrick.

DEI.

Leaves open Penske, Andretti & Ganassi.
    GM was offering to up Sam's personal services contract to stay with Panther in the IRL. He could still be going to a Chevy NASCAR team.
    "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
    Vice President, Marketing
    IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

I view every NASCAR team as a potential IRL team.
      Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

He could be going to a Childress IRL team powered by Chevy...or perhaps Childress wants to race Toyota in CUP a few years from now...

Dizz Fan
        Greatest Spectacle in Racing :nod:

Comment

Re: More on Hornish/Panther

"I don't think Tony, Panther or General Motors could have changed Sam's mind."

I assume they are talking about Tony George right? That seems to indicate Sam is going to NASCAR.

Comment

I would think chevy would frown on that. I wouldn't think a major chevy team would want to pizz off the manufacture.

Is it May yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by CrewChief
              I would think chevy would frown on that. I wouldn't think a major chevy team would want to pizz off the manufacture.
              In NASCAR, it is Chevy that doesn't want to pizz off DEI, Hendrick or RCR.

J. Michael Ringham

Comment

I like the kid but really don't care. What has made panther great is their teamwork. The set ups and the preparation.

There are other drivers out there with the talent to take advantage of Panther's ability to prepare a race car.

Comment

Originally posted by CamKing
                  In NASCAR, it is Chevy that doesn't want to pizz off DEI, Hendrick or RCR.
                  I agree to an extent, but I will beshocked if it is a chevy cup team that he goes to. Hendrick has Kyle Busch in the pipeline and no sponsor for the #25, DEI has no sponsor for the #1 and would Sam really want to be second fiddle to Junior ? And RCR has sponsorship from GM so they aren't likely. Everham is the one nascar team that I keep thinking of, major sponsor, big time team, drivers have under performed and could dodge through Illmore line up a AGR Honda ride at Indy for Sam ?

Is it May yet ?

Comment

Everham is the one nascar team that I keep thinking of,
                    I would think that's a good bet, but in the 9 months I've been in NASCAR land I've learned things don't always make sence.

Sam could end up at Gibbs after Tony leaves to Race for Chip.

J. Michael Ringham

Comment

Originally posted by CamKing
                      I would think that's a good bet, but in the 9 months I've been in NASCAR land I've learned things don't always make sence.

Sam could end up at Gibbs after Tony leaves to Race for Chip.
                      That is what happens when moonshine replaces tenderloins on ones diet

Is it May yet ?

Comment

That is what happens when moonshine replaces tenderloins on ones diet
                        If BWH doesn't give you a Bingo award for that, you can have one of mine. I've got so many, I keep tripping over them anyway.

J. Michael Ringham

Comment

"In fact, team co-owner John Barnes said he was not allowed to make a contract offer"

This is the really interesting part of the quote assuming its true. To me, that can only mean he is going to a Chevy team in WC. Who else could "not allow" Panther to make an offer?

Comment

Originally posted by mario
                            Who else could "not allow" Panther to make an offer?
                            Sam and Joe Campinigro his agent. They probably told them that they'd already made up their mind so don't even make a contract offer.
                            But that's just my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by mario
                              "In fact, team co-owner John Barnes said he was not allowed to make a contract offer"

This is the really interesting part of the quote assuming its true. To me, that can only mean he is going to a Chevy team in WC. Who else could "not allow" Panther to make an offer?

The question is...Who wouldn't allow them to counter offer, Hornish or GM?

If he goes to *******.....I hope he comes back to race the 500..and gets beat!!!...By Panther none the less.
                              Zoooooooooooom!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X