200.572 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200.572 mph

Interesting to note that the elapsed time of the Kentucky 300-miler was 1:29:44.6120......A 300-miler run in less than an hour-and-a-half computes to a speed of greater than 200 mph......In this case, 200.572 mph.....

Seems like IRL Timing & scoring chooses to use a different track size from the official measurements the IRL distributes to the media.....Without a doubt, they certainly should be using the same numbers....

So, while the IRL now has a race that was run at an all-time record of 200.572 mph, thanks to T&S, the all-time record has been giftwrapped back to CART~

Was the KY 300 actually exactly 300miles??
    The track may be listed as 1.5 miles but it may be a 1.485 miles or something like that.
    "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
    - RUSH, Freewill, Permanent Waves (1980)

Comment

This speed chart http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/st...speedchart.pdf has the length of Ky Speedway to be 1.48 miles. So 200 laps would be 296 miles. And that 1.48 miles could be rounded up, I think if you use the stats available to calculate it, the resulting track length will be in the 1.47---- miles in length.
      Last edited by c7; 08-18-2003, 12:47 PM.
      "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
      - RUSH, Freewill, Permanent Waves (1980)

Comment

Officially Kentucky is measured at 1.48 miles, so the race distance was officially 296 miles...

I guess they could have added two or three more laps to the race to make it exact, but I think the IRL wants fans at the race, and on TV to follow the race easier when the lap count is a "round" number...therefore the even 200 laps...besides, does having the exact distance really matter...it's still close enough...
        Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich
          Wow another thread ends up being about CART.
          HAMLET:

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow
          of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath
          borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how
          abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rims at
          it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know
          not how oft. Where be your gibes now? your
          gambols? your songs? your flashes of merriment,
          that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one
          now, to mock your own grinning? quite chap-fallen?
          Now get you to my lady's chamber, and tell her, let
          her paint an inch thick, to this favour she must
          come; make her laugh at that. Prithee, Horatio, tell
          me one thing.

Comment

3 different track measurements for Naz~

Looks like the IRL has 3 different measurements for the Nazareth Speedway......The IRL Media guide (page 285) lists the track as a 1-mile oval.......On the same page in the IRL media guide, it lists the race as 225 laps & 200 miles, which in effect, says the track is 0.889 miles in length.....But Timing & Socring says the track is 0.935 miles in length.......For the IRL to "officially" list the Nazareth Speedway as 3 different lengths if purely ridiculous........C'mon, guys......In order to retain some sense of value, you've gotta come up with a singular size of the track -- certainly not 3........This is the crust of the problem.........The IRL simply MUST come up with a common number to calculate speeds -- in both qualifying & the race.......To continue to use 2 or even 3 different track measurements smacks of unprofessionalism~

Comment

Re: 3 different track measurements for Naz~

Originally posted by johnny_c_storm
              Looks like the IRL has 3 different measurements for the Nazareth Speedway......The IRL Media guide (page 285) lists the track as a 1-mile oval.......On the same page in the IRL media guide, it lists the race as 225 laps & 200 miles, which in effect, says the track is 0.889 miles in length.....But Timing & Socring says the track is 0.935 miles in length.......For the IRL to "officially" list the Nazareth Speedway as 3 different lengths if purely ridiculous........C'mon, guys......In order to retain some sense of value, you've gotta come up with a singular size of the track -- certainly not 3........This is the crust of the problem.........The IRL simply MUST come up with a common number to calculate speeds -- in both qualifying & the race.......To continue to use 2 or even 3 different track measurements smacks of unprofessionalism~
              It's been my understanding for a few years now that Nazareth is 0.94 miles around. Even when it opened in 1987, they (CART) knew at the time it was actually less than 1 mile around. But back then, who really cared. The "actual" distance of one lap didn't matter, I guess since the race was an even 200 laps.

However, over the years, speeds there climbed there at a crazy rate, and in '96, Paul Tracy was credited with a 190 mph lap. By then, it was evident that some remeasuring had to be done, because everybody KNEW that was an inaccurate speed. Two other reasons were also...the teams were actually given fuel for the distance of the race, and since it was "officially" 200 miles, the teams technically were being given too much fuel, and that allowed them to use more fuel (get worse mileage) than they were supposed to, that technically being unfair....also in '93, Nigel Mansell won the race after it went without a caution (actually the first lap was yellow...a waved off start) and the race was over in like 1 hr 15 mins....hardly a show for the fans, a pretty unfair length of time to pay that much for a ticket....so they went to a 225 lap race, and made it a 0.94 mile lap...

As for the 3 descriptions....technically Nazareth is a "One-Mile Oval" if you use that term to describe the "TYPE" of oval it is....compared to, say, the 1.5 milers (none of which are actually 1.50000 miles either)...

It sounds more like the intern wrote that stuff, and doesn't know much about the history of the track, since he probably doesn't realize it actually existed before the IRL started going there...bet they'll treat Milwaukke the same too...what, it existed before '04?
              Doctorindy.com

Comment

from what i have heard, on a nascar thread, is that a track is measure in different places by different series, that why you can get 3 different lengths, normally its measure around the bottom of the track for the 1st length, then the middle and the top, to give ya 3 different measures, then you can go by either one to make it the closest length ya need for the race distance,

where does the IRL measure it from, top, middle or along the bottom??
                "These guys generate some serious horsepower," Wallace said. "I wouldn't get out of an electric chair to get in one of these things."

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofsarahfisher

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
                  @ $1.25 a share, at least let them have a little something to crow their last breath about.

They got plenty Doc,,,, PLENTY... Some old retired couple in South Dakota, and their Mutual Fund,,, that's what bank rolled them crooks...
                  Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X