Cars On Fire In The Pits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cars On Fire In The Pits.

Kenny Brack should be suspended for, at least the rest of the season, and the spotter replaced. Why would anyone want to bring a burning, car to a refueling area? It was not only his pit crew in danger, but every other crew person on pit road. Racing has been very lucky not to have had serious Injures because the driver/crews are unable, to understand that fuel is a dangerous chemical. And cars on fire do not belong close to refueling rigs.
    A friend was saying the Irl was telling him to stop because on the fire. If this is true booted him for the season. I remember looking at Herks hands the frist time and still get sick thinking of the pain he went through.
    The 2006 Silver Crown Champ will be aFormer USAC Champion!

Looked to me like the safety crew was waiting for him at his pit-- had the fire out before the car came to a complete stop. Best safety crew in the bidness, bar none.

I'm sure they directed Kenny to head to the pit area. Why else would the men with fire extinguishers have been standing there? They were between Kenny's car and the fuel tanks, too. The situation was handled as well as possible.
    Quit whining. Enjoy the racing.

Comment

When he entered the pits the fire was barely visible and insignificant.

It remained that way until just a few yards from his pit turn-in when the engine cover caught fire.

His crew safely and easily extinguished it within a matter of seconds. In fact, the bucket dump was probably unnecessary.

Much ado about nothing.
      "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

At least they didn't pull a Hemelgarn and refuel it.
        Nolan Ryan was once bitten by a coyote

Comment

The safety crew was not waiting for him in the pits, they followed him into the pits, thus arriving at the same time. The fire was barely visible until he was well down pit road. I had him on the scanner and Kenny was complaining of brake failure on his pit in. When he was about 3 stalls from his stall, the spotter starting yelling 'GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT' which is when the fire took off.

Kenny did, and they got the fire out. No problem. Well executed by all involved.

Comment

Very simple he had to stop where there was help. What if he had stopped where he was alone and got stuck in the car? I'm sure they directed him where to go, looked like they were ready for fire battle the instant he stopped plus there were people there to help him out if he needed it.
            sa

Comment

Originally posted by Sammich
              At least they didn't pull a Hemelgarn and refuel it.
              dude, they could not find the fire till they did that okay!

Comment

Originally posted by jrandrew00
                dude, they could not find the fire till they did that okay!
                Was this something like looking for a gas leak with a match?

Professor Joe
                Lost in Indy

"So many of these guys know how to preserve their tires, how to handle traffic and how to win a race. They really deserve to be in Indy cars." - Bob East

Comment

Originally posted by Professor Joe
                  Was this something like looking for a gas leak with a match?

Actually, it was more like looking for a match with a gas leak.

Comment

I found it great that the safety truck was running side by side with him down pit road when the other series gets so much flack about how long it takes them to get to a crash site. Why must we pick every nit and all hammer IndyCar or each race on every issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie
                      I found it great that the safety truck was running side by side with him down pit road when the other series gets so much flack about how long it takes them to get to a crash site. Why must we pick every nit and all hammer IndyCar or each race on every issue?
                      Lord, Miles, You beat me to it by about 10 seconds!

And, I'm not sure kenny knew it was burning.
                      "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie
                        The Irl or Nascar or who ever needs hammer on every time safety is a concern. Oil on pit lane was bad enough, But bringing a burning car to a refueling area was stupid. How many safety
                        truck/workers did he pass. The key point here is The Irl told him to stop. What ever the Crew/spotter was saying was not a factor. After the Irl told him about oil on the pit lane.

Comment

Originally posted by KnockOff

His crew safely and easily extinguished it within a matter of seconds. In fact, the bucket dump was probably unnecessary.

Much ado about nothing.
                          Please do not make a NASCAR statement about the team being able to better handle a fire then the safety crew. That is like saying Johnny has a fast truck why do we need a ambulance.

Comment

"Please do not make a NASCAR statement about the team being able to better handle a fire then the safety crew."

That's not what I said.

I watched the tape again, and the crew doused the fire easily and in a matter of seconds.

When KB pulled onto pit lane a small oil fire was burning. A couple of seconds before he pulled into his pit the engine cover flamed. The first handheld extinguisher knocked the fire down.
                            The bucket of water was just a safety-margin overkill.

No big event to anyone but the alarmists in here.

"You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X