This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota is making threats (merged)

I guess the IRL can't have its cake and eat it too. There is always the other side when it comes to 'helping' an auto manufacturer that is down on its luck.

http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/0817/1598059.html

Hey Toyota and Honda .... Pfffffffttttttttttttt !!!!!!!

Is it May yet ?

Comment

Please note the author of the article. Not saying it's not the "truth" but I would still consider the source.

Dave
      "I doubt NASCAR really cares one way or the other what Richard Petty does at this point in his life..." -hdolan. Very sad but very true.

Comment

That is all nonsense.

Sam won the race because he had the best car. He killed them in traffic and would eat guys alive in the middle of the corner. I would guess that he didn't have a power advantage over Toyota. If he had a Toyota behind him, he would have killed everyone on Sunday.

Kanan needs to shut up and race.

Comment

Toyota to badge TWR engine

Toyota's Lee White :
          "We understand they wanted Sam and GM to win a race," said White, whose company won the Indy 500 in its initial try last May and owns nine wins in 2003. "But my feeling is that they need to work just as hard as we do and whatever steps were taken to make him competitive obviously were successful.

"Now we expect to be given equal consideration. I think I'll give the IRL a letter requesting that we be allowed to bring in a new motor. Immediately."

Isn't TWR the only other one approved ?
          I am blessed to have witnessed "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing" 50 times!

Comment

From that article:
            "We understand they wanted Sam and GM to win a race," said White, whose company won the Indy 500 in its initial try last May and owns nine wins in 2003. "But my feeling is that they need to work just as hard as we do and whatever steps were taken to make him competitive obviously were successful.

"Now we expect to be given equal consideration. I think I'll give the IRL a letter requesting that we be allowed to bring in a new motor. Immediately."
            "The IRL was worried about keeping General Motors," said White. "Maybe they should worry about keeping Toyota in the series."
            Whoever had "less than six months" in the "How long before Toyota or Honda threatens to leave the IRL pool" wins.

They'll be ready for Winston Cup in 2005, right around when their contract with the IRL is up. No Toyota usually means no Honda either. Without them, who funds AGR, Fernandez, Ganassi, Rahal, etc?

Comment

Whether or not Robin is the author doesn't take away the fact that Lee White was directly quoted......sounds like Lee is going to make a stink! Yikes!
              Support Mockery - Visit www.themockdock.com!

Comment

Consider the author of this piece before giving it any weight. And just one other thing, the Cosworth was approved for competition before Chevy had their problems. This engine is not hot off of the drawing board. Toyota and Honda can either step up to the challenge and make thier engine stronger, or run from the competition.
                You didn't hear Panther complaining earlier in the year. They just worked harder, and moved on. Speaks volumes about the complainers after yesterdays race. GM had a problem, and they went out and fixed it. Honda and Toyota would have been given the same consideration if they had been that far down on horsepower.
                RM trying to stir up the pot, as usual.

Comment

Heard Marla Klain on RPM2night say both Toyota and Honda are steamed.
                  Kevin Kalkhoven on Champ Car: "The amount of money we're spending is very little overall and I can afford to run this thing forever."

Comment

It's strange that folks weren't too upset when Dixon led all 200 at Richmond!
                    Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Originally posted by PHJIndy
                      It's strange that folks weren't too upset when Dixon led all 200 at Richmond!
                      I believe part of the "proper formula car training" I keep hearing about includes lessons on whining like a little girl. Roundy-round Yanks just have to learn it later in life, but I'm sure (and afraid) it will come soon enough...

Comment

Is anyone really surprised? This is typicial behavior from Toyota (and Honda.)

Ain’t it great when the manufacturers have so much power in a series?

You know when some of us raised red flags over sealed engines, factory leasing and mega buck supported T & H teams, we were labeled complainers, but folks this is an example of the chickens coming home to roost. Now that the economics of the league have been so skewed by T & H, half the grid would disappear if Lee White gets p-o’ed at the series.

This is just what many of us long time IRL fans feared and the reason it was so important to keep manufacturer dependence to a minimum. We’ve simply seen this scene played out over and over and it always ends the same way. It’s not if T & H will leave, the question is when and will there be anything left after they bolt? I wonder who Tony George calls when the inevitable happens and the subsidized teams disappear and the costs have been jacked up so high and nobody but the factories own an engine?

That’s why this stuff like factory leasing matter folks. It's as if some people here are so blinded by the hear no evil, see no evil party line that they can't even acknowledge the truth we all used to agree on back a few years ago.
                        Last edited by AdamM; 08-18-2003, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Odd - Toyota didn't have any problems winning at Michigan.

Someone pull up Robert Clarke's quotes about how Hornish was handling a lot better than Dixon.
                          http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Robert Clarke, general manager for Honda Performance Development, said Hornish deserved to win, and not because of his engine's horsepower.

"If you look at the in-car cameras, that team has something special with its handling because Sam never moved the wheel," he said. "Everyone else was just fighting the wheel, especially with all those bumps in the track."
                            from today's Indianapolis Star

Sounds like someone who knows how to lose gracefully. I suggest Toyota should do the same.

Comment

"I guess the IRL can't have its cake and eat it too."

Note: " guess"

"You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X