Turning the Corner???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning the Corner???

For years I have observed a major difference between IRL races and Nascar races -- namely that Nascar fans were there to cheer for the drivers and IRL fans were there to enjoy the race. I have always felt that the IRL's success would be limited until they could develop drivers who people would come to watch drive a tractor. I saw a hint of that today.

When Sam Hornish was opening up his can of whoop *** on the rest of the field I noticed many, many Hornish fans urging him on with each lap and celebrating each time he passed another car. I think the IRL has great fans and they always appreciate a winner but this was different. It was very reminiscent of what I saw at the BY400 a couple of weeks ago.

It could be a huge step toward the IRL's long term success.

Or they could sit idly by and let him go to Nascar.
    Center Grove Trojans
    2008 5A Football State Champs
    2015 6A Football State Champs
    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

pure speculation on my part
    GM has spent a ton of bucks on the motor deal
    obviously none of their other current IRL teams/drivers are gonna consistently whoop on RP, CG, and AG.
    GM already has plenty of studs in Nas
    therefore it makes sense to keep the Buckeye Bullet in IRL at whatever cost and probably expand the team with another top notch driver.
    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

One driver does not a series make.

I was at Richmond and The only drivers that got any response from the fans were Sam, Sarah and Al Jr.

Al ain't gonna be around much longer.

Sarah will go the way of Lyn St.James if she doesn't start performing better.

Sam is one of the best drivers in all of racing, and the IRL will lose a lot if he goes to NASCAR.
      "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
      Vice President, Marketing
      IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

I was never a Sam Hornish, Jr. fan until last year when he and Panther Racing took it to Team Penske. I thought he was some kid who got thrown into a great car all the time and never had the bad luck of mechanical failure. My feelings changed last season. I will always be a fan of Team Menard but when they are out of it I am a Panther Racing fan.

I wanted Sam to lap the field so bad I hurt when watching the race today. That team is great and I hope they can make a run at the championship.

Back on Topic ---- The people in the stands seemed very happy when Sam parked his car on the front stretch. There was a lot of cheering out there. The IRL has to hold on to this guy with both hands; he is their poster boy, he is our poster boy and we need him for the series to succeed.
        The transformation is complete. The Indy 500 is the only IndyCar race that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by CamKing

I don't know about that.

Richard Petty was Nascar for many years.

Comment

CamKing was right about the fans at Richmond, and I was one of the ones pulling for Sam every lap. He is developing a following, and if he decides to stay where he is at; (please stay Sam), and could win Indy, his popularity would explode. He's always talked about wanting to see the IRL grow and I just hope that he can see that he may be very important to that growth. With all of that being said, Sam deserves to be paid, and paid very well.
            "Freedom, just around the corner from you,
            With truth so far off what good would it do?"

Bob Dylan- "Jokerman"

Comment

Exactly.

What they need is a good old fashioned rivalry. One where the combatants have been battling each other neck and neck for years. But first that requires continuity in the seats/owners/sponsors. Another song I've been singing for years.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2008 5A Football State Champs
              2015 6A Football State Champs
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
              2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Re: Turning the Corner???

Originally posted by Truth Detector

Or they could sit idly by and let him go to Nascar.
                Let's be optimistic, and start pointing out all the reasons this kid has to stay.

From the beginning, I have been as impressed with Sam's maturity, intelligence and level-headedness as with his phenomenal driving skills. I think he understands the importance of Indy, and and despite suggestions of interest in "winning a Daytona 500", has he really shown any far-reaching interest in NASCAR? I mean, Andretti, Foyt, Unser, Donohue all played around down there to one extent or another, but none of them gave up their open wheel roots and aspirations. I'd love to see Hornish win Indy, Daytona, LeMans, the Knoxville Nationals, whatever he wants to race in. I don't think that participation in any of those other things means he's through with Indycars. Not by a long shot. He has the potential to be the greatest indycar driver ever. He may already be. Seeing what was merely "potential" in the Gen IV a few weeks ago mature into a force to be reckoned with, I'd bet anything that Sam's going to stay with Panther. If the RCR rumors are true, that could be his avenue to play in NASCAR from time to time.

Comment

What they need is a good old fashioned rivalry.
                  If Dixon doesn't shut up, that's exactly what we'll have.
                  "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

It helps that he was "Ohio's own" in front of a predominantly Ohioan crowd.

They (we) were definitely chearing for Sam. Actually, were'nt two of the top three from Ohio? (Herta)

Comment

And it could be wonderful Doc.
                      "Freedom, just around the corner from you,
                      With truth so far off what good would it do?"

Bob Dylan- "Jokerman"

Comment

Re: Re: Turning the Corner???

Originally posted by Brent_the_Lazier_fan
                        I mean, Andretti, Foyt, Unser, Donohue all played around down there to one extent or another, but none of them gave up their open wheel roots and aspirations.
                        None of them had a chance to make $25mil a year.

The IRL has two things on their side to keep Sam. The Indy 500, and Sam's personal services contract with GM. GM will pay Sam a ton to stay in the IRL, but he won't be worth as much to them in NASCAR.

The one thing I see NASCAR has besides the money is becoming a household name. Sam seems like an "average joe" kinda guy, but it's gotta be getting to him to be one of the best racers in the world and hardly anyone knows who he is.
                        "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
                        Vice President, Marketing
                        IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

Exactly.

What they need is a good old fashioned rivalry. One where the combatants have been battling each other neck and neck for years. But first that requires continuity in the seats/owners/sponsors. Another song I've been singing for years.

...you hit the nail square on the head Truthie.
                          ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

I would love to see Tony Stewart come over to IRL and join Sam on the Panther team. That would be my dream team for a while. Fun to watch. Make Sam's car yellow and white and Tony's car white and yellow. Or maybe keep Pennzoil on the Hornish car and Home Depot on Tony's car. Come on over Tony!
                            Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Turning the Corner???

Sam seems like an "average joe" kinda guy, but it's gotta be getting to him to be one of the best racers in the world and hardly anyone knows who he is.
                              I don't thin kthat bothers him one bit. I think he likes the anonymity.

Would you want to be hounded like Tony Stewart? I honestly wouldn't. The money. Sure. All the other stuff. Nope.
                              Terrible moderators can destroy great forums

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X