Hornish's corner speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornish's corner speeds

Is data available on corner speeds during todays race?
    While attending the race I listened to the radio broadcast and they were indicating they thought his corner speeds were much higher than everyone else, but when the radio interviewed Dixon after the race he said he thought Sam's advantage was all horsepower.

Re: Hornish's corner speeds

Originally posted by TomL
    Is data available on corner speeds during todays race?
    While attending the race I listened to the radio broadcast and they were indicating they thought his corner speeds were much higher than everyone else, but when the radio interviewed Dixon after the race he said he thought Sam's advantage was all horsepower.
    Horsepower? Yes.

But handling made the difference.
    Man to Man is so unjust... there's no Man you can Trust.

Comment

Top Section Times
      "IRL is better at everything except selling themselves." -- Jennifer Floyd Engel, ESPN/103.3 FM

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak_IndyFan
        Top Section Times
        Hmmm, by that it looks like on clean laps (one would assume they are the fastest) Dixon and Fisher were the fastest on the straights and even faster then Sam overall, could it just be Sam's car was handling so much better and he is a better driver that in traffic he pulled away ? Think about that Mr. Dixon.

Is it May yet ?

Comment

Why, you didn't really expect Dixon to admit that Sam is a better
          driver or that Panther sets up the car better, did you?
          "It is a besetting vice of democracies to substitute public opinion for law. This is the usual form in which masses of men exhibit their tyranny." - James Fenimore Cooper

"One man with courage is a majority." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Most everyone was flat out in the turns as well as the straightaways yesterday. Looking at the best corner speeds insn't going to tell you a lot. Each driver spent the weekend figuring out how little downforce (and therefore drag) he could live with, and still run flat out. A good setup was essential. Given roughly equal horsepower, the guy with the best setup and driving was going to win the race. Look how far apart some teammates ran yesterday.

Comment

"Most everyone was flat out in the turns as well as the straightaways yesterday."

If so, a lot of teams better get their telemetry problems fixed. Or maybe I'm way off base thinking "flat out" = "100%" throttle position. TV didn't show "most everyone" with 100% throttle position in the turns.
              Last edited by KnockOff; 08-18-2003, 10:13 AM.
              "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Originally posted by KnockOff
                "Most everyone was flat out in the turns as well as the straightaways yesterday."

If so, a lot of teams better get their telemetry problems fixed. Or maybe I'm way off base thinking "flat out" = "100%" throttle position. TV didn't show "most everytone" with 100% throttle position in the turns.
                Heheh, over the years I have seen this statement hundreds of times. Oh, and "so much downforce that (fill in the blank)".

These assertions are sometimes accompanied by the companion statement "I've never been to or watched an IRL race and I never will."

So here's the formula.....TV + PC + internet connection = racing expert.

Comment

If you watched close - most of the TV telemetry showed a constant throttle position of say 98% - that was nothing more than a calibration issue, just as the time it showed 101% was not "cheating" . . .

Comment

"...most of the TV telemetry showed a constant throttle position of say 98%..."

I'll review my tape, but I watched close and remember seeing what to me was a significant amount of lifting amid the skips and dips.
                    "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

I happened to glance at the monitor at one point during the race and saw Hornish pass another car (I think it was Takagi) on the outside in two, and it was quite easy to see that the yeller car was just way better on corner exit speeds.

No wasted motion, just a very pretty line out of the turns.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X