X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just who is the historian

for the IRL website?

From the lead story concerning Sam Honish winning today :

"This is Hornish’s first victory since he won at Chicagoland Speedway in 2002."

Is he forgetting something, or am I imagining a win for Sam at Texas last September?

From The Bombardier 500 page:

RACE & POLE WINNERS

Race Date Winner Speed Pole Speed

6/7/97 Arie Luyendyk 133.903 Tony Stewart 167.133*

6/6/98 Billy Boat 145.388 Tony Stewart 224.448

9/20/98 John Paul Jr. 131.931 Billy Boat 225.979

6/12/99 Scott Goodyear 151.177 Mark Dismore 215.272

10/17/99 Mark Dismore 135.246 Greg Ray 216.107

6/11/00 Scott Sharp 169.182 Buddy Lazier Points*

10/15/00 Scott Goodyear 175.276 Greg Ray 215.352

6/9/01 Scott Sharp 150.873 Mark Dismore 215.508

10/6/01 Sam Hornish Jr. 168.523 Sam Hornish Jr. Points*

6/8/02 Jeff Ward 164.984 Tomas Scheckter 220.146

9/15/02 Sam Hornish Jr. 163.981 Vitor Meira 221.594

Maybe it's the same guy who told Bob Jenkins that yesterday was the fastest closed-course race in history.
    And the same guy who told Paul Page the former record for fewest cautions in a race was three (now they're saying it's two - Disney in '97).

Comment

Originally posted by MM658
      Maybe it's the same guy who told Bob Jenkins that yesterday was the fastest closed-course race in history.
      And the same guy who told Paul Page the former record for fewest cautions in a race was three (now they're saying it's two - Disney in '97).
      The Disney '97 race was rain-shortened, however.

So what was the fastest closed-course race?
      No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

The fastest closed-course race and 500 mile event was "The 500" at California Speedway last November. Won by Jimmy Vasser.

Comment

Originally posted by TM1511
          The fastest closed-course race and 500 mile event was "The 500" at California Speedway last November. Won by Jimmy Vasser.
          Depending on how you measure the track. CART's measurements are always a bit generous.
          Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

It also included a suspicious red flag toward the end of the race.
            Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Originally posted by PHJIndy
              It also included a suspicious red flag toward the end of the race.
              Although it is considered official, that red flag will always be an asterick in my book. It was done not to make sure of a green finish (this isn't NASCAR) it was done with the hopes they could get the race to average over 200 mph...they fell short by just a tad, but still beat the old 1990 Michigan 500 record by 8+ mph, and the '87 Busch Clash 50-miler when they used to not have restrictor plates...

The 2.029-mile distance thing still gets me though....I'd like to someday see what construction plans intended the track length to be. I occurs to me that Fontana is so wide, that drivers who take creative lines can change the race/lap distance every time around!!! High here, low there, high there, low here...we can add 200 feet to a lap!!! (or vice-versa)
              Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy
                The 2.029-mile distance thing still gets me though....I'd like to someday see what construction plans intended the track length to be. I occurs to me that Fontana is so wide, that drivers who take creative lines can change the race/lap distance every time around!!! High here, low there, high there, low here...we can add 200 feet to a lap!!! (or vice-versa)
                I recall a year or two ago, an IRL team member posted some lap distances in feet from telemetry at California.

The average distance that the car was traveling per lap was 1.981 miles.

Comment

Had Vasser been ahead of Andretti the race wouldnt of been red flagged, it was also to try and get the record which they did thats like stopping the clock for a caution so that they will get the record, thats no good.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctorindy
                    The 2.029-mile distance thing still gets me though....I'd like to someday see what construction plans intended the track length to be.
                    My father was part of the California Speedway design team. He told me that the precise 2-mile measurement was based on a line exactly 10 feet from the white line at the bottom of the banking.
                    No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Does anyone know, for sure, exactly where a race track should be measured? I believe that years ago, it was 6' off of the pole.

Also, is it possible for a race average speed to be faster than the fastest lap in the race? I question this because on the race results I get from our local track, in many instances, the AMB Identification & Timing (transponders) system comes out with a faster race avg speed than the fastest lap of the race. This is set up for a 1/5 mile oval (0.2 miles). The AMB people come out and say it is because the drivers drive a different line. Hey, 0.2 miles is what it is set up for. If set for that distance, it should not matter what line the drivers take, right?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X