"Cosworth" - A suggestion for the IRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cosworth" - A suggestion for the IRL

I suggest that the IRL needs to make sure competitors refer to all of the series sponsors by their proper trade names. It does nobody any good to start calling the engines "Illmor", "TRD" or "Cosworths".

I can understand why some guys feel a little miffed. My suggestion is GET OVER IT. Settle it on the track.

If this "Cosworth" nonsense continues, I suggest Brian Barnhardt start handing out the fines.
    "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Touche`

Comment

Cosworth is a classic racing engine manufacture, nothing to be ashamed of there.

I hope Brian doesn't fine me...
      "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Re: "Cosworth" - A suggestion for the IRL

Originally posted by LorenzoBandini
        I suggest that the IRL needs to make sure competitors refer to all of the series sponsors by their proper trade names. It does nobody any good to start calling the engines "Illmor", "TRD" or "Cosworths".

I can understand why some guys feel a little miffed. My suggestion is GET OVER IT. Settle it on the track.

If this "Cosworth" nonsense continues, I suggest Brian Barnhardt start handing out the fines.
        Yeah, restricting people's speech sounds like a good idea.

That's crazy. The IRL has changed, but I'm pretty sure that the 1st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution didn't.

Quit worrying about it and it will go away.
        The transformation is complete. The Indy 500 is the only IndyCar race that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Railbird
          [B]Cosworth is a classic racing engine manufacture, nothing to be ashamed of there.
          Yes, but Chevrolet is paying big money for the badging rights. They bought it, they own it, they can call it whatever they want.

I suggest all the chevy guys start making Illmor references and see how the Honda guys like it.
          "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

It is petty and childish. Solely done with the intent to demean.

This is top tier professional racing. These are suppossed to be top tier teams and drivers. When they resort to this type stuff it makes them look small and does nothing for the sport.

It is done. As noted by others - get over it . . .

Comment

yeah, it's done

and it was Cosworth that did it....

If I write a big check for a Harley do ya think everyone should call it a John?

and I'm all for calling the Honda an Ilmor.

H=ll, stop and think of the adds Toyota could run capatalizing on just the facts.
              "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by 220mph
                [B]It is petty and childish.
                Welcome to the internet.
                "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

I called the CART Chevy an Ilmor Chevy, so I'll call this one a Cosworth Chevy.

I love people saying that since Chevy wrote a big check we should call it what they want, like they're buying us off. I'm not that cheap.

The 49ers still play in "Candlestick park".
                  The Angels still play at the "Big A".
                  A Cosworth is still a Cosworth.
                  "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
                  Vice President, Marketing
                  IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

"You can call me Ray.
                    Or you can call me Ray Jay...."
                    Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

Originally posted by STAND E
                      "You can call me Ray.
                      Or you can call me Ray Jay...."

Aloha E

One More,,,, One More,,,,

And Now,,,, You Can Call Me,,,,,"The Big Johnson"....
                      Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
                        Yes, but Chevrolet is paying big money for the badging rights. They bought it, they own it, they can call it whatever they want.

I suggest all the chevy guys start making Illmor references and see how the Honda guys like it.
                        Why not go one further, and mandate the drivers mention their opponents sponsors whenever they gripe about them? After all, those sponsors are paying good money too...

Comment

I didn't advocate they mandate anything.

I said they should grow up. And they should.

As Hornish rightfully points out - he was kickin most of their arse's when he was many horsepower down to them.

Sour grapes is sour grapes . . .

Comment

"Yes, but Chevrolet is paying big money for the badging rights. They bought it, they own it, they can call it whatever they want. "

Heck yes...they could even call it a 'parody'

Comment

I'll continue giving both companies credit

by calling the Gen IV a 'Chevy Cosworth'

Cosworth designed and built the powerplant while Chevrolet paid the big bucks to put their name on it...
                              "I love Indianapolis. I love the people. I love everything about it....the tradition, the history." - Dan Wheldon

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X