Hey aviators...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey aviators...

What was that thing that did the flyover today? My only guess is the SR-71 Blackbird, but I'm not up on my aircraft ID.
    www.BriansWish.com

Capt. Ron's B1
    "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

B1B...I was in tanks on active duty. It was kinda important to be good at aircraft recognition
      "IRL is better at everything except selling themselves." -- Jennifer Floyd Engel, ESPN/103.3 FM

Comment

Mike Skinner's private jet.

Come-on over to NASCAR
        Every short-track open-wheeler has a chance at the big-time
        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

The first "stealth bomber" the B-1B with wings swept full forward for a "low and slow" pass...

gorgeous plane...
          B-1 "Lancer"

Comment

Agreed, akh. If there's anything more mechanically fascinating than a race car, it has to be an airplane.

CCF

Comment

Originally posted by carl s
              Mike Skinner's private jet.

Come-on over to NASCAR
              Every short-track open-wheeler has a chance at the big-time

OH That was Good,,,,, Bingo,,,,

When I saw Skinner's new home,,,, with a Lear 25 parked in the basement hangar,,, I just said,,,

This is the Business We've Chosen,,,, Don't Ask Why...

Where even Mike has his own Lear,,, an 10,000 sq foot new home,,, on a golf course / airport complex,,, with a Lear parked in the basement hangar...

That's BIG TIME,,,,
              Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Little Aviation Trivia,,,

You know how they use to start the engines on the SR-71's, for a launch, a little vacation trip to Moscow ???

If any of you remember "TV Tommy Ivo's" twin engined Buick Dragster ??? Same set up... Not the Four engined piggie... Two V-8 Buicks, set side by side in the Frame ???

Yeager,,, invited a bunch of the local Mustang "Sticks" up to a SR-71 base in northern California to watch the "Launch and Recovery" of an SR-71, on a mission to Moscow... (???) Maybe to Long Beech, to spy on Pookie....

They first, "cold fueled" the airplane,,, fuel just pouring out of the airplane,,,,everywhere,,, tanks all leaking... Then they'd pull these two starter units out, one under each wing, both units were two V-8 Buicks hooked to a gear box,,, with a "Quill Shaft" pointing straight up.... Just like TV Tommy Ivo's Twin Buick Dragster set up... They'd jack the two starter units up, until the "Quill Shafts" engaged the accessory drive unit in the bottom of each engine, on the SR-71...

When they were finally ready to launch,,,, they'd top off the fuel again,,,, in fact they left the fuel nozzles hooked up,,, just like Hammibal Wreckter,,, did at ??? There was so much fuel leaking out, unreal.. It just scared the crap out of me,,, I could just see,,, toasted, Big Wheel,,, under glass...

Then they'd get the signal to "Launch",,, they kick the starter units, into gear,,, then went to full power on all four Bucik engines, two engines on eack starter unit... Which would start the engines,,, to slowly "spool" up on the SR-71... Yea,,, sure,,,, it took about three seconds... After "Spool Up",,, they throw a book, of lit matches, in each engine's air intake,,,, on the SR-71...

A big flame would belch out the Azz end of the SR-71's engines... Then they'd drop the starter units, off the jacks, pulling out the "Quill Shaft's... Just as these big starter units hit the ground, they'd pull the fuel nozzle's out of the airplane... By that time, the pilot was all ready rolling on his takeoff run,,, no engine check,,, no warm up,,, no wave good-by,,, just full power, to full after burner, and the takeoff run was on... Five seconds later,,, you couldn't see the airplane... We all looked around at each other,,, like,,, What the F,,, just happened... Only the government, could come up with this kind of nonsense... UnReal,,,,,

They would still have the cold fuel nozzles in the airplane, when the two "Start Crew Chief's" would go to full power on them four Buicks, and when they got the first sight, of the SR-71 engines coming to life,,, they drop the twin Buick starter units, off the jacks, and the airplane was rolling already... All in about a fifteen second procedure....

Up to that time,,, it took better than 5 hours to get to this stage of launch...This would all take place in a poratable sun shade hanger, located at the end of the runway, with the SR-71 headed in the direction of takeoff... Airplane, pilot,,,, gone,,, in less than fifteen seconds.... Hello Moscow,,,

Two hours later, after lunch,,, here comes the SR-71, with a picture of ,,,, Red Square in the belly... UnReal...

Tallyho, Bingo, a roll of film, showing the Miss Nude Moscow Contest held in Red Square... A clip of Nikida doing Candy Samples, and a shot of "Debby Does the Kremlin"... LOL

They really didn't have a guy standing there with a book of matches,,, no,,, he had two books... No,,,, on board igniters...

TV Tommy Ivo's,,, Buick Deal,,,, it was funny....
                Jet Fuel everywhere,,, a big drain in the runway floor... From start of the lauch process, and the first cold fueling,,, they must of dumped out 200 gals of Jet fuel on the ground, from leaking tanks... Titanium airplane, and fuel tanks, designed to seal up at speed, and heat produced by that speed... But it was quite a sight....

All designed by Kelly Johnson, of the Lockeed's Skunk Works,,, in what,, about 1956 ??? When asked once,,, what the airplane of the future would be or look like,,, he said it would be a "Crop Duster"... Funny,,,, Kelly Johnson,,, was another Don Garlets... One Smart Guy...
                Last edited by BigWheelHawaii; 08-17-2003, 04:31 PM.
                Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Originally posted by CCFirebird
                  Agreed, akh. If there's anything more mechanically fascinating than a race car, it has to be an airplane.

CCF
                  You've never seen Kara Lazier walk by. THAT'S mechanically fascinating!

Comment

Not only was the B1-B flyover impressive (notice the "cloud" formed over the wing due to the low pressure area and the high humidity?), but I guess Bryan Herta enjoyed it too, as he was pointing at it from his cockpit.

Comment

BH, wasn't the hydralic "fluid" in a sem-solid state like jelly? So, at speed and high temp it would melt and become liquid?

And just what was the Blackbird's highest speed?
                      "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

I hope they showed the second pass on TV for y'all, it was a real legwetter. Same approach direction, full throttle and afterburner, climbing out and a sloooooow right aileron roll to wings vertical and then back level.

As they say, "the crowd went wild", lol.

Back in 2000 I was at Atlanta Motor Speedway on Friday before the race, standing by the tunnel entrance waiting for my credentials when a B1B approached from the south at low altitude. As the airplane passed over the track, the pilot hit the AB and proceeded to do a full aileron roll.

I could hardly believe my eyes, that big azz airplane doing low altitude aerobatics.

The Lancer is a pretty awesome airplane.

Comment

As impressive as the B2 is, the B1 is awe-inspiring. I keep hoping that we'll get one for an Indy 500 flyover. Hey, if they can do it in Kentucky, Indy isn't far away.

Comment

Knockoff, the SR 71 did not have jelly like hydralic fluid. Think about the term hydralic. It was a higher temp stable fluid, like the fuel was a higher vapor pressure fuel than the normal JP 4 or 5. and no it didn't fly over Moscow. (Gary Powers took care of us doing something like that again) But it went to some interesting places too be sure.

Top speed is still a national secret, but it flew from New York to Great Britian in under 2 hours shorty before they left active service. NASA has 2 or 3 the Air Force gave them, but I don't believe they have flown for some time. Extremely high cost per flight hour.

Comment

SR 71 can not go that slow not even nearly that slow. Thats why they were such a problem they had to be refilled in air in order to take off with proper wait and it refuelers couldnt keep up with it in order to refuel. Quite a problem for both the refuler and the blackbird pilot.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X