Come over here and try it!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come over here and try it!!!

I loved how Tony Kannan answered the question he was asked about IRL racing being easy by saying "Come over here and try it."

I guess now we can put that ridiculous assertion to bed.........
    "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

He also called it "the toughest race of my career".
    "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

It just underscores the heightened level of precision required in oval track racing vs. road racing. No knock on road racing, it just seems that in road racing, you can overcome missing the set much more so than on ovals. In the IRL, you miss the set-up, say, 3 races in a row, and you can pretty much forget about the championship.
      "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by sf-indy-fan
        It just underscores the heightened level of precision required in oval track racing vs. road racing. No knock on road racing, it just seems that in road racing, you can overcome missing the set much more so than on ovals. In the IRL, you miss the set-up, say, 3 races in a row, and you can pretty much forget about the championship.

...just ask Team Rahal.
        ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Statements like that are why I reallyj like Tony the Snoz, he is the real deal.!!!
          Is it May yet?
          Take me back to a world gone away-James Pankow

Comment

Originally posted by sf-indy-fan
            So in other words, in road racing a good driver can overcome a bad car but on ovals a good car is more important than a good driver?

Comment

Well, gyc, I think it depends on how you define "good driver." A huge part of oval track skills is being able to tell exactly what a car needs, and a guy who can get around a road course quick may not, when racing on an oval, necessarily be able to successfully communicate to his team precisely what changes need to be done.

That's why Mears was so great (it's not that he was poor on road courses, it's that he was so dominating on ovals). He not only was able to tell his team what the car was doing ("pushing a little"/"pushing a lot"/"a little loose"/ "a lot loose"), but what they needed to do to fix it ("put in half a turn of wing"/ take out a half a turn")!

And before some of the newer members comment here, yes, this IS an endorsement of the road/oval format of CART. They did some things RIGHT.
              "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

Originally posted by ensign14
                Take the downforce off the cars, add a little power...
                [sarcasm] Yeah, that worked REAL well for CART over the last few years.[/sarcasm]

Leave the cars the way they are.
                "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

of course one might consider that Kanaan has always been a pretty fair oval racer while slogging around mid pack at the road courses.

of course others might not
                  "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Railbird
                    of course one might consider that Kanaan has always been a pretty fair oval racer while slogging around mid pack at the road courses.
                    Which proves what?

I think that you are just the type of person that Tony was speaking to.

Comment

I think that you are just the type of person that Tony was speaking to.

LOL

so you think the shnoze is throwing down the gauntlet on the white haired AARP set do you?
                      "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

I'm sure a lot of drivers would gladly come over and give it a try if given the chance. Tony should consider himself lucky to have such a ride, given his track record, and just shut up...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X