Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sprint car driving is not the way to the IRL, PERIOD.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sprint car driving is not the way to the IRL, PERIOD.

    The only way to make sprint car driving a path to the IRL would be to do away with the wings and electronics. I've spoken with some sprint car drivers that do not like the fact that an Indycar is in the hands of an engineer and not the driver. Stock cars are a lot closer to a sprint car than Indycars today. The pre-wing era of Indycar was a haven for open wheel sprint car drivers, today is just the oppossite.
    It only matters if you think it matters. - Klicky

  • #2
    Not to derail your thread, Indyracin; but how much longer can stock cars continue to be that way?
    "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
    --Danny Noonan

    Comment


    • #3
      quite correct, sprint car driving is not the path to the IRL.

      however, winning championships in silver crown, sprint cars and midgets, winning consistently on pavement and dirt, and being the best in some of the toughest racing in the world, the best of the 10,000 short trackers in the country, sure as **** ought to be the path to the IRL or any racing series once chooses.

      i'm growing more and more in favor of a front engined Indy car every single day.
      Twitter: @ByrdRacing
      Facebook: facebook.com/jonathanbyrdsracing
      Website: jonathanbyrdsracing.com
      YouTube: youtube.jonathanbyrdsracing.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by D Byrd
        quite correct, sprint car driving is not the path to the IRL.

        however, winning championships in silver crown, sprint cars and midgets, winning consistently on pavement and dirt, and being the best in some of the toughest racing in the world, the best of the 10,000 short trackers in the country, sure as **** ought to be the path to the IRL or any racing series once chooses.

        i'm growing more and more in favor of a front engined Indy car every single day.
        When I proposed such a car, I made the point that it wouldn't put any driver at a disadvantage, regardless of his background. I still believe that. If they did it right, there could be a mix of drivers that might please fans of every kind of racing.
        Proud to be a complainer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by D Byrd
          .

          i'm growing more and more in favor of a front engined Indy car every single day. [/B]
          Where would you put the fuel cell?
          "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by D Byrd
            quite correct, sprint car driving is not the path to the IRL.

            however, winning championships in silver crown, sprint cars and midgets, winning consistently on pavement and dirt, and being the best in some of the toughest racing in the world, the best of the 10,000 short trackers in the country, sure as **** ought to be the path to the IRL or any racing series once chooses.

            i'm growing more and more in favor of a front engined Indy car every single day.
            Indycar owners do not care (even though they should) how many championships a driver has won in other series. What can you do for me right this minute is all that is on there mind.

            And I would actually perfer a rear engine midget, sprint or SC car.

            Run a low budget series at first (a rear engine focus midget would be a way to start the class) to work out the logistics and see what times they run. After that add a weight handicap to the RE car if it is slower than a front engine car and let them race in the same series.

            USAC already had RE sprinters (they outlawed them) once. Do it again, but in a slow, controlled manner.

            **** start a LT-1 RE SilverCrown series. Use the ASA engine rules, sealed engines and all. No IRS or IFS, just like the SC cars and run on pavement tracks less than a mile. Chevy can sponsor it. Ford does it with there Focus.

            The pieces are there. Some one with some power needs to put them together.

            I ain't got no power.
            Terrible moderators can destroy great forums

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Doc Austin
              Where would you put the fuel cell?
              No problem. Doc. It will take some time but I can dredge up the link to the proposal and give it to you. The fuel cell was well protected. My momma didn't raise no idiots.
              Proud to be a complainer.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jl
                ...And I would actually perfer a rear engine midget, sprint or SC car.

                Run a low budget series at first (a rear engine focus midget would be a way to start the class) to work out the logistics and see what times they run. After that add a weight handicap to the RE car if it is slower than a front engine car and let them race in the same series.

                USAC already had RE sprinters (they outlawed them) once. Do it again, but in a slow, controlled manner.
                Be sure to include Late Models on the program, so you can sell some tickets, and make them the nightcap feature, so the fans don't go home early.

                ... LT-1 RE SilverCrown series. Use the ASA engine rules, sealed engines and all. ...
                Bleah!
                Definition of support series: A series that needs the support of the headliner class to draw a crowd.

                Comment


                • #9
                  News flash - it was found that fe cars are not as fast as re cars around 1965.

                  BTW - the racing biz/splitsville board has done wonders. How about another board about the IRL for sprint car fans that hate the IRL? Then we could have a board for those that like the IRL and one for those that don't.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ramdacf
                    News flash - it was found that fe cars are not as fast as re cars around 1965.

                    BTW - the racing biz/splitsville board has done wonders. How about another board about the IRL for sprint car fans that hate the IRL? Then we could have a board for those that like the IRL and one for those that don't.
                    News flash-It was found that turbocharged engines make much more power about 1968. So what? Full skirts would increase corner speeds. So what? How about active suspension, AWD, turbines, moveable aero devices, two way telemetry. nitromethane in the fuel, sculpted undertrays with splitters and vortex generators and a host of other goodies? All these and many more have been found and proven in various forms of racing. That doesn't mean they should be used by the IRL. It's no longer about ultimate speed. That ended in 1996.
                    Proud to be a complainer.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ramdacf
                      News flash - it was found that fe cars are not as fast as re cars around 1965.

                      BTW - the racing biz/splitsville board has done wonders. How about another board about the IRL for sprint car fans that hate the IRL? Then we could have a board for those that like the IRL and one for those that don't.
                      That's right... get those gosh darned dirt slinging sprint car fans the heck out of here! They all hate the IRL, don't you know? They only come around here to stir up garbage and irritate us with their "J.J. Yeley this..." and "Dave Steele that...". I'm sick of those IRL haters! Don't they know that Indy Cars are for road racers now? Don't they get it? Idiots! I'm trying to come around here and talk about how great it will be to see Helio and Tora follow each other around on the streets of Long Beach and all these fools want to talk about is putting the engine in the front and ruining a perfectly good formula. Cripes, these USAC slugs drive me insane! I bet Dan Weldon could kick Jimmy Bryan's butt, anyway. :mad:
                      Dave Steele Rocks!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Take the wings off, that'll fix everything.
                        "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                        ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"


                        Brian's Wish

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by manson
                          I bet Dan Weldon could kick Jimmy Bryan's butt, anyway. :mad:
                          LMAO on that one.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            "The only way to make sprint car driving a path to the IRL would be to do away with the wings and electronics."

                            Now there's a great idea!
                            Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Turn13
                              Take the wings off, that'll fix everything.
                              Then you will loose your down force,which in turn do away with the famed side by side racing many here love.

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X