It's the Chevy Gen IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's the Chevy Gen IV

I don't care who builds the powerplant. If Chevy paid for the engine, they should have the right to call it anything they want. The concept of a badge on a racing engine isn't anything new. It is the deep pockets that allow these engine builders to produce racing engines.

TRD does their own work, but Honda doesn't. Should we call the Honda something else? Heck no. They paid for it, they can call it anything they want, too.

Out of respect for Chevy, let's knock off the goofy names for the Chevy Gen IV. They did the right thing and paid the big bucks to support their teams rather than let them continue to twist in the wind.

Hard to argue with the logic. . .
    "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

What, and let Chevy essentially cover up its utter and complete failure?

Keep calling it the Chevworth and perhaps Chevy will be too ashamed to make the same mistake next year.

Comment

I think anybody who cares already knows. . .
        "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Chevy screwed up royally and cost a lot of teams a lot of money not to mention the people that will probably lose their jobs (and I'm not talking about the engineers who designed it). They gave up on that engine way too early so I will continue to call it a Cosworth because that's what it is.
          The transformation is complete. The Indy 500 is the only IndyCar race that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by autoracingfan2
            Chevy screwed up royally and cost a lot of teams a lot of money not to mention the people that will probably lose their jobs (and I'm not talking about the engineers who designed it). They gave up on that engine way too early so I will continue to call it a Cosworth because that's what it is.
            OK, then to be consistent you should be calling the Honda an Ilmor.

Comment

Originally posted by rev-ed
              OK, then to be consistent you should be calling the Honda an Ilmor.
              They bought the rights to that engine before the season started. It's different.
              The transformation is complete. The Indy 500 is the only IndyCar race that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by FCYTravis
                What, and let Chevy essentially cover up its utter and complete failure?

Keep calling it the Chevworth and perhaps Chevy will be too ashamed to make the same mistake next year.
                Nobody is more cirtical of what Chevy did to their teams than I am. What do you suggest?

The first good thing they did this year was to pony up the cash and buy an engine for their teams that work. Then they have guys like you that name call. Perhaps they should just focus on NASCAR and dump the IRL?

You ask the Chevy teams if they are happy now compared to a month ago! Panther can once again win.

Oh, and by the way, Cosworth has worked with GM in the past, hence I fail to see the big deal here.

Comment

They bought the rights to that engine before the season started. It's different.
                  Timing doesn't change the purchase. If you don't, you're being inconsistent. If you do, go for it.

Comment

Why? Because. So there.

Comment

Why is that different? It's a contract builder too. Same thing except the time they signed their contract.

Perhaps you wanted all the Chevy teams to fail and close shop? Nobody is going to sponsor a car that can't stay on the lead lap no matter what. Now, the Chevy teams can race. The race on Sunday is going to have several new players that have an honest chance at victory and that will be nice for a change. Sam and Panther will be back. Hence, I think it's great!

Comment

"Why does what you just said strike me as a massive rationalization?" -- The Big Chill
                        "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

Sorry, it is not the Chevy whatever, it is a Cosworth, they build it, submitted it to IndyCar, they are selling it to Chevy, all that is PRBS. Chevy was completely lacking in the ability and expertise to build a competitive 4-cam engine and let their teams and the series down with their failure. Call it whatever you and Chevy wish, I will call it a Chord or Chevworth. We got the first hint of how inept Chevy really was when Infiniti got rid of the first design bunch and Ed Pink and took the 35A design in house and hooked up with TWR in 2002. The only thing that saved Chevy last year was early Infiniti reliability issues and a knuckleheaded driver that couldn't keep from crashing. For Chevy, that turned out to be a bad thing, there was a wake up call there, they slept through it.

With only 21/22 entries this year, we the supporters of the series were cheated of the racing that could have been if the Chevy teams and Sam Hornish hadn't been gelded with that horsepoop engine. Toyota and Honda had no problem beating Chevy, it was easy. All this crap about keeping all the good parts on the shelf until they needed them showed that Chevy didn't have a clue about how little they knew.

Go see how many 2003/2004 Chevy V8's you can buy with a 4-cam engine, that is the start of the problem. Ford has been 4-cam entirely for almost 5 years now, the last "pushrod" V8 was in an Explorer, years ago.

Comment

Honda bought the engine, but they are still doing development work on it. HPD is an official rebuilder. Honda has its hand in work being done on the engine.

Toyota used its off road truck engine as a basis and developed their own IndyCar engine.

Chevrolet developed their own engine and its initial design came up short. Instead of fixing it, they went to an outside source and bought a new engine. GM won't be doing any development on this engine, Cosworth will. Speedway is not owned by GM, so we can't count them as doing development. The name on the motor should be that who's doing the development and that's not GM.

Comment

Cosworth is one of racing history's more important names IMO.

I'll call it that, thank you very much.

oh, and Rev, I've refered to Honda's badging partner often.

all of this angst is merely handwringing over the fact that the manufactures are running roughshod over the original visions.

as a few of us predicted.
                              "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X