This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Carpentar

Wasn't Ed supposed to race with PDM at Kentucky? I did not see his name on the entry list.
    Milwaukee was raced on an oval and Kalkhoven appears to favour street races.

The last I heard it was to be later in the season.
    "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Thanks
      Milwaukee was raced on an oval and Kalkhoven appears to favour street races.

Comment

Right on time. . . this release from PDM Racing, via TrackSide Online

Infiniti Pro Series driver Ed Carpenter was officially entered today as the driver of the PDM Racing Dallara for the Delphi Indy 300 in Joliet, Illinois on September 7th.

Carpenter, 22, from Indianapolis, tested with the team and passed the speed phase of his Indy Racing League IndyCar Series rookie test July 30 at Kentucky Speedway. "We are very pleased and excited to have Ed driving for us in Chicago," said Team Owner Paul Diatlovich. "He showed us his ability during the test. He had consistent lap times, drove a good line, and provided the team with excellent feedback. His experience in the Infiniti Pro Series has aided in his progression."

Carpenter, driver of the No. 14 Futaba/Delphi/A.J. Foyt Racing Dallara/Infiniti/Firestone, won the inaugural Freedom 100 Infiniti Pro Series race May 17 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and is third in Infiniti Pro Series points standings after eight of 12 races. He finished third in the 2002 points standings.

He is a veteran of USAC racing having competed in Midgets, Sprint Cars and Silver Crown cars and scored feature victories in a midget in 1999 at Louisville Motor Speedway and a Silver Crown victory in 2001 at Salem Speedway.
        "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Yawn.

Anyone want to start the list of short trackers more deserving?
          http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

No.

Don't you have a board to moderate? Should be 2 or 3 posts there by now.

Why don't you start a thread over there about all the road racers more deserving than Geoff Boss, that should get some action.

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch
              ...Anyone want to start the list of short trackers more deserving?
              ...anyone want to start a list of drivers more closely related to Tony George?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                No.

Don't you have a board to moderate? Should be 2 or 3 posts there by now.

Why don't you start a thread over there about all the road racers more deserving than Geoff Boss, that should get some action.
                It's odd you mention Geoff Boss; when ya think about it, Geoff's only qualification for his Coyne Rent-A-Car is the fact he brings a check. It seems to me the only qualification for Ed Carpenter running the PDM Rent-A-Car is the fact he brings a check.

Sorry, I'd rather see JJ Yeley or Dave Steele or Jimmy Kite in the IRL instead of a guy whose primary qualififcation for the ride is, well, being Tony's stepson. Heck, I'd rather see Mark Taylor, who, ya know, has dominated the IPS this season, in the IRL.

I don't think Ed is going to be a winning race car driver because, well, he doesn't do much winning. Two wins, three seasons.

Worse yet, any success he has will always have question marks, as his stepfather happens to be the same guy who pays race control and the folks who tech the cars.

But thanks for making it about me, because it's obviously my fault.

Comment

It seems to me the only qualification for Ed Carpenter running the PDM Rent-A-Car is the fact he brings a check.
                  I seem to remember some other young kid getting his start at PDM by renting the ride, some fellow named Hornish, I think. Whatever happened to him?

Comment

I seem to remember some other young kid getting his start at PDM by renting the ride, some fellow named Hornish, I think. Whatever happened to him?
                    We're comparing Ed Carpenter to Sam Hornish?

It used to be real simple: if a guy took a **** of a car and put it somewhere it shouldn't be - like Hornish did with PDM - it was a sign of a good driver.

If Ed Carpenter does anything with PDM, you can't be really certain if he's a good driver or if his rev-limiter is more equal than everyone else's.

Comment

It used to be real simple: if a guy took a **** of a car and put it somewhere it shouldn't be - like Hornish did with PDM - it was a sign of a good driver.

Monkey- once again, I invite you to the PDM shop to inspect the equipment for yourself, even though you probably don't know the difference between a "****" and a torque wrench.

Peel yourself away from the computer for an hour. We would love to have you as our guest.

Comment

We're comparing Ed Carpenter to Sam Hornish?

It used to be real simple
                        How many wins did Hornish have when he drove for PDM? Who expected him to win a single race, let alone many and championships to boot?

You're right, it used to be real simple. Fans would wait to see how well a driver did on the track before they made up their minds about his talent.

I have no idea whether or not Carpenter will win races or be competitive. I do know that he has earned the right to be on the grid and I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I find it more than a little amusing that a CART fan is railing away about ride buyers and nepotism when just about their whole grid is made up of no-talent squids renting their rides with daddy's money.

Comment

I find it more than a little amusing that a CART fan is railing away about ride buyers and nepotism when just about their whole grid is made up of no-talent squids renting their rides with daddy's money.
                          Oh, I'm just a CART fan now, huh? Perhaps in your binary world, sure...

There are a fair number of drivers I would say have earned the right to run in the IRL before Ed Carpenter.

People here sit & holler for a short track guy - and they get one who has won all of two short track races in three years.

Meanwhile, the guys who win lots of races - championships even - the only thing they get from the IRL is the blue hat in victory lane.

That's what bothers me.

Comment

Trapped in nowhere land . . . .

Poor 'wrench. The Cartisians think he is a lemming, and the IRListas think he is a cartisian.

Comment

Probably stupid of me, but I'll jump in here...

There are a fair number of drivers I would say have earned the right to run in the IRL before Ed Carpenter.
                              Fair enough. But I can also say that emphatically and with support about a number of drivers in the IRL this year, including two who happen to have driven for Mo Nunn this year, and one who has driven for AGR.

If the IRL is a legitimate playground for the likes of Giaffone and the Guy in the 12, and crash test dummies Sheckter and Wheldon, then Carpenter deserves a shot to prove his skills.

Is he going to contend for the win at Chicago? I doubt anybody has those kinds of expectations. But if he tests and qualifies well, and looks smooth in the race, then he gets some valuable experience for the future.

He has looked very good in the IPS. He is consistent, and doesn't crash. By tossing around insinuations that he is the recipient of preferential treatment you're obscuring facts and not doing your own credibility any good, either. Lighten up on him until we get the chance to see what he's made of, huh?

Sorry for the rant. Carpenter-bashers, you may now go back to flaming away.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X