Road racing was part of the vision...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road racing was part of the vision...

I remember road racing being considered as an option down the road when the IRL was being formed in '95. Road racing at a couple venues was part of the "vision" way back before the IRL turned a wheel in '96. When CART dies in '04, there will be a couple venues that will be good for the IRL to pick up in '05. They will do it and they SHOULD do it. It will be good for the balance sheet of the IRL and good for the sponsors.

There is nothing wrong with road racing. Where we have lost our minds is when there is only a few ovals in a series that features the Indy 500 as their crown jewell. The IRL would be a better series with one or two road races and a full schedule of ovals.

NASCAR has a couple and everyone loves them. Nobody thinks they are a road racing series. The same will be true for the IRL.

Cheer up boys, it will be fun.

Re: Road racing was part of the vision...

Originally posted by Bryan_Weber
    I remember road racing being considered as an option down the road when the IRL was being formed in '95. Road racing at a couple venues was part of the "vision" way back before the IRL turned a wheel in '96. When CART dies in '04, there will be a couple venues that will be good for the IRL to pick up in '05. They will do it and they SHOULD do it. It will be good for the balance sheet of the IRL and good for the sponsors.

There is nothing wrong with road racing. Where we have lost our minds is when there is only a few ovals in a series that features the Indy 500 as their crown jewell. The IRL would be a better series with one or two road races and a full schedule of ovals.

NASCAR has a couple and everyone loves them. Nobody thinks they are a road racing series. The same will be true for the IRL.

Cheer up boys, it will be fun.
    No, it won't be fun. IRL road races won't draw flies. All they will do is anger the oval fans. NASCAR is not a good example. If they scheduled a figure 8 race, it would pack the house. If you think everyone loves the NASCAR road races, you haven't been listening to the teams.
    Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

There are a couple road race venues that would draw more than all but a few of the oval venues. I will bet my house on it. We only need a couple in a 20 race schedule.

The NASCAR fans love the road races on the schedule. It is so far from the normal oval events as to add some real spice. It will be the same thing for the IRL.

The teams will enjoy it. The fans will like it. It will be fun. I don't want a steady diet of road races, but a few will be different enough from the 1.5 mile cookie cutters to be fun.

(all that above comes from an Indy boy that thinks the Indy 500 is the best race in the world and the sereis should be built around it)

Pizz and moan all you want. In '95, the IRL talked about adding a few road races when the league was ready. It has taken a little longer for the IRL to win the war than expected, but the time will be '05 and they will be ready.

Comment

Re: Road racing was part of the vision...

Originally posted by Bryan_Weber
        NASCAR has a couple and everyone loves them. Nobody thinks they are a road racing series.
        I know this statement is just hyperbole, but everyone does not like them but they do put up with them.
        "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Get used to it. The IRL road races are going to be great and those who can't find it in themselves to at least give it a chance are even more clueless that the cr*pwagoneers who won't watch oval racing because they think they are too smart for it.

The IRL fans can embrace road racing and help the IRL, or cart can regroup as something else, find it's nitche and come back to haunt the speedway on a scale like 1979. Pull your head out and take a look around.
          "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Brazilians at Belle Isle!

The manufactures always like to duel in Detroit

and I've already got the Tshirts
            "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Re: Re: Road racing was part of the vision...

Originally posted by rev-ed
              I know this statement is just hyperbole, but everyone does not like them but they do put up with them.
              I flew the ol' Cessna out to lake Seneca for the Glen. People love that event. The locals are into that race as much as I'm into Indy.

Comment

Look it, I think two things have happened...

First, the vision was a lot more vague than many of us believed.

Second, many of us saw that blurry vision as a clear ideal of what we personnally wanted the IRL to be.

Now, having said that, and freely able to admit that my interpretation of the vision was wrong, I am getting increasingly weary of being told to "pull my head out" of something, not let a "door hit me" in the posterior on my way out, and to stop "moaning and groaning". To be told that I am as "clueless as a crapwagoner" offends me greatly.

Simply because I acknowedge that the originaly vision allowed for road racing, and just because I now accept road racing as inevitable, does not mean that I have to like it.

Indeed, I do not like it.

I do not like it one bit.

I do not like it in a house.

I do not like it with a mouse.

I will continue to express this opinion as I explore ways to remain passionate about a series that I have supported wholeheartedly before it ever "turned a wheel". I've earned that right... bought and paid for it with my fan dollars spent at every Indy 500 since 1975 and 20+ IRL races since the leagues inception. I've earned by promoting the IRL and lobbying for it to anyone that had the aptience to listen me. I've fought for it on a variety of internet forums. I've earned it with all the Billy Boat, Scott Goodyear, Sam Hornish, Buddy Lazier, Eddie Cheever, Michael Andretti, Tony Stewart, and PDM attire I have hanging in my closet.

Those of us who don't like road racing in the IRL complain about the road racing.

Those who accept road racing in the IRL complain about us.

You are fine folks.

I respect your acceptance of road racing.

Please respect my inability to do the same.

If the time comes to stop complaining, we'll accept it or leave.

Count on it.
                Dave Steele Rocks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by manson
                  Look it, I think two things have happened...

You are fine folks.

I respect your acceptance of road racing.

Please respect my inability to do the same.

The other 18 oval races will be the same IRL you know and love. If you don't like a couple venues, don't watch. Just enjoy the ovals and you will not be able to tell the difference.

Either way, it's on the way boys.

Comment

Originally posted by manson
                    Billy Boat, Scott Goodyear, Sam Hornish, Buddy Lazier, Eddie Cheever, Michael Andretti, Tony Stewart, and PDM attire I have hanging in my closet.
                    Just a thought - out of those drivers, Goodyear, Hornish, Lazier, Cheever and Andretti are all road racers.

Comment

Only two road courses according to the mission of the IRL in 1995. Not four like Mr. Barnhardt tried to sell a few weeks ago. The word is tried. These ex-CART teams are trying to Force feed road courses to the IRL and their fans. Fans will rebel and that isn't a myth either.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo7
                        These ex-CART teams are trying to Force feed road courses to the IRL and their fans.
                        Ha ha ha, now that's funny. You're blaming the ex-CART teams for this? Better look closer to home, Jimbo. Like, 16th and Georgetown. The IRL is going road racing quite willingly.

Comment

Originally posted by FCYTravis
                          Ha ha ha, now that's funny. You're blaming the ex-CART teams for this? Better look closer to home, Jimbo. Like, 16th and Georgetown. The IRL is going road racing quite willingly.
                          Really, when you think about it, this is all USAC's fault. If they would have just denied Brabham's 61 Indy entry and let us colonists continue to race our old dinosaur roadsters* round and round, life would be great. After all, we "Muricans" know better than the rest of the world... please

Hmm let's see, Trenton, Ontario, Texas, Langhorne, these were all oval tracks that went belly up during the much lamented golden era of OW racing. I guess those hundreds of thousands of short track fans never quite made it to the ticket windows...

Road racing and oval racing. Two different disciplines, according to some two different fan bases. I like both. If you don't well that's your choice. I will watch it, and enjoy it.

*Disclaimer - before some get their underwear in a bunch, let me tell you that I think a 1956-58 Watson roadster, sans rollbar, is one of the most awesome and beautiful race cars ever built. I am an Indy 500 purist and don't care who's there and who's not or where they came from. The 33 drivers and teams that come to the green flag on the last Sunday in May are my heroes.

Comment

Bryan - I will be able to tell the difference. The difference will be that the US oval track driver will go from a slim chance to no chance of competing in the IndyCar Series. I am not of the opinion that it will just be a couple of road courses but I will do cartwheels if that holds to be true.

Travis - Good point! I also have some (old) Tony Stewart IRL stuff. Get some grass rootish oval guys into the series and I'll buy all their crap and wear it proudly, too.

For the record, I have no problem with road racers in an all oval IRL. I am, in fact, a road racing fan. However, I believe that the IRL must maintain an avenue of approach for oval drivers.
                            Dave Steele Rocks!!!

Comment

Road racing fans will stay away in droves from any race the IRL takes over. Sheesh, a big % of CART oval fans didn't even come back when the IRL took over races and we really expect something different among a group of fans that is most predisposed to hate the IRL.

The hardcore open wheel road racing fanbase has a large % of people who would rather drink spit before supporting anything TG is invloved with. To deny this is just not facing reality. It's personal to many of those fans and I'm convinced they will never "get over it." The problem is that a series needs those hardcore fans to form the foundation of their fan base and they simply won't be there for the IRL on road courses. And the original IRL fans would have backed CART from the start if they really got a kick out of seeing open wheel cars on road and street courses.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X