Three things to promote the IRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three things to promote the IRL

1. Free tickets to all venues for kids under a certain age...
    2. Free pit passes at all venues for kids under a certain age...

and now for the biggie

3. One day qualification at Indianapolis. In the NCAA one loss and your gone...they pack the house, same for NFL playoffs...we are now a 'right now' culture...line 'em up and take a run...I believe that both attendance and ratings would improve drastically for the event...build on that improvement...

Show me where I'm wrong...

Howard, I can go with one and two, but not three. I could even go with two days of qualifying at Indy. But one... naah.

jmho
    If you do what you've always done...

you'll get what you've always gotten.

Comment

Re: Three things to promote the IRL

Originally posted by hdolan
      1. Free tickets to all venues for kids under a certain age...
      2. Free pit passes at all venues for kids under a certain age...

and now for the biggie

3. One day qualification at Indianapolis. In the NCAA one loss and your gone...they pack the house, same for NFL playoffs...we are now a 'right now' culture...line 'em up and take a run...I believe that both attendance and ratings would improve drastically for the event...build on that improvement...

Show me where I'm wrong...

Some well thought out ideas that could help the IRL. Most of us would probably not like to see #3 though. Drop the very last sentence and I think you may have something.
      IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

I thought they did number one at some events already, but I think all of them is a good idea.

Number two essentially means you'd have to let the parents in as well, and I'd think you'd have to be careful about parents not being able to watch more than one or two kids- no undersupervised little league teams with one "parent", please.

But again, sure, what could it hurt, even revenue-wise? Put a big Chevy, Toyota, or Honda logo on the Passes, too. Be sure they look nice, so kids can collect 'em, show their friends... put tyhe drivers and cars on 'em as well... make it a collectible set.

I don't know if you're right or wrong, hdolan. I just know in my opinion, I prefer the current qualifying format.

Now, how about my questions in this thread...
        Last edited by Turn13; 08-13-2003, 10:27 PM.
        "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
        ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Whoever started this thread posing as Howard Dolan, you have 24 hours to return him..........................

SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
          " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

I will say this ... For the past 5 years I've taken my son, Sammy (Now 11), to Indy. We've continued buying 4 tickets, and have sold the other two. This year the guys that have purchased our tickets had to back out at the last minute. Out where we live, it was too late to get new buyers, so I told Sammy to invite a couple of his friends (Rather than let the tickets go to waste). So there I am at Indy with three 11 year old boys - Two of whom had never seen an Indycar.

I've never had so much fun at a race in all my life !!!

I like the first two ideas. A lot!
            "I'm going to push the gas and try to beat you," Ray said. "That's what I do. If you pull up beside me and rev up your engine, I'm going to race you, even if I'm sitting on a tractor."

Comment

I'll add something to the list that you missed, Howard: Promote the drivers

If the series and the sponsors did more of that, more people would pay attention.
              He kani 'ano 'e loa kela. Ua 'ai nui anei 'oe ma ke kakahiaka?

Comment

I like all except #3. I like the idea of the pit passes but there might be some insurance problems. If that's the case, why not have a show car available and let the kids actually sit in the thing? Get 'em when they're young and they'll be fans for life.
                Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

I'll go ya one better Howard.

Make it the three day event it essentialy is already and make the first two days free.

Kickin' the gates open for a couple weeks has to cost more than the crowds are spending anyway and it would certainly add to the immediacy.
                  "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

I'm still seething from the trip my family took to Dover for the last IRL race there. What year was that? 1999? I think my kids were 5 & 3 and I had to pay $50/each for them to sit in the hottest sun you ever saw. My wife spent half the race under the bleachers with my son to keep him out of the heat.

What made it especially bad is that the place was at most 20-25% full.
                    Center Grove Trojans
                    2008 5A Football State Champs
                    2015 6A Football State Champs
                    2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                    2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

My only question on #3 is, in the past 20 to 30 years, has there ever been a time where 33 drivers qualified for the race on the first day? Anyone with a head for stats or a photographic memory, feel free to call me out. I just don't remember it happening, and it makes me wonder if one-day qualifying is possible without changing the format.

If it is, great--the Speedway could have it the Saturday of the traditional first weekend of qualifying, then the following week, let the IPS have the track for Freedom 100 practice, running the Freedom 100 the following Saturday. Give the Indycar teams the week off to be with their families and enjoy Indianapolis. And hey, here's a thought--use the week to have your driver make public appearances with his/her car, all over creation!

After the Freedom 100, open the track up for practice up to Carburation Day.

Hmmm...
                      "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
                      --Danny Noonan

Comment

Here's my idea to increase attendance at IMS:

Tear out the infield golf course and let people park there.

People don't want to park and ride trams.
                        http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch
                          Here's my idea to increase attendance at IMS:

Tear out the infield golf course and let people park there.

People don't want to park and ride trams.
                          Good point.

Comment

No can do. (at Indy)

Kids get in free to all events EXCEPT INDY
                            Finding seats together is tough enough. If you add free kids you probably boost the attendence 20%. Indy couldn't handle that.

I am a fan of the once and done qualifications like they do at TMS, but who am I to question tradition?
                            “I apologize unreservedly. I offer a complete and utter retraction.
                            The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice. And I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family.
                            And I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time, in the future.”

Comment

"Make it the three day event it essentialy is already and make the first two days free.

Kickin' the gates open for a couple weeks has to cost more than the crowds are spending anyway and it would certainly add to the immediacy."

No problem here...

Somebody asked if all 33 cars could be qualified in one day...although I don't recall it ever happening, I see no reason why it cannot be done...
                              Last edited by hdolan; 08-14-2003, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X