Indycars necessary on Roadcourse venues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indycars necessary on Roadcourse venues

Is it really necessary for the IRL to use their IndyCar division to race on road and street courses if CART closes shop?
    If the IRL is really intent on getting involved (preserving the venues or increasing market share) with those types of venues (should CART leave) could they not pick-up the venues and contract with another organization to supply the cars?
    carl s
    Indio, CA
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

What would be wrong with the current CART cars at least for 3 or 4 years. Personally, I would put a cheaper engine package in, but perhaps that wouldn't be needed.
    Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

How about an alignment with ALMS?

There is too much work to be done in the existing two IRL divisions to add a separate one, imo.
      Dave Steele Rocks!!!

Comment

Silver Crown
        "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

What would be wrong in leaving the whole road race problem to those who are willing to invest time and money in solving it? The IRL has enough to deal with now.
          Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Run Midgets or TQ's

IRL don't need no steenking Road courses!

Leave that to sports cars!
            May is now in session...

Can I get 500 posts by raceday?

Comment

Originally posted by slinger
              What would be wrong in leaving the whole road race problem to those who are willing to invest time and money in solving it? The IRL has enough to deal with now.
              That was my line of thinking. The only problem is the ones that want to solve it are currently in the IRL in the form of Drivers, Owners, and manufacturers.
              "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP
                That was my line of thinking. The only problem is the ones that want to solve it are currently in the IRL in the form of Drivers, Owners, and manufacturers.
                Then they can go solve it. The idea behind the IRL was to get the sport out from under the influence of those very people. Given a choice of staying where they are or losing their shirts trying to prop up road racing with their own money, I'd bet they'd stay where they are.
                Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Then they can go solve it. The idea behind the IRL was to get the sport out from under the influence of those very people. Given a choice of staying where they are or losing their shirts trying to prop up road racing with their own money, I'd bet they'd stay where they are.
                  They are solving it - by infiltrating the IRL and using Tony's money. It's the first rule of business - never spend your own money.
                  "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Ward wheels a Watson Midget around Sebring contesting the USGP Dec 12 1959.

Atlas F1
                    "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

AGR, TCGR, and Rahal/Letterman. Penske in his two years with the IRL hasn't really pressured the road racing issue other then suggesting street races in Canada. One of his drivers has certainly urged the IRL to go road racing. His other driver turned down racing in F1 because he's pretty content were he's at...

Comment

Well, here is a thought.

If CART goes away (looks doubtful now) and abandons the road courses, there will be some used chassis that will just be sitting around, or for sale. Would it save the IRL teams money if they were able to use the used Lolas and Reynards on the road courses, rather than maintain their existing chassis for roads and ovals?

Just a thought that I am sure will be shot down.
                        One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo7
                          His other driver turned down racing in F1 because he's pretty content were he's at...
                          It's not everyday that a new TF myth is born, you should be proud.

Comment

Originally posted by BADGER
                            It's not everyday that a new TF myth is born, you should be proud.
                            Not a myth. You probably missed the interview of Helio Castroneves with Dave Despain on Wind Tunnel. I'm sure you could catch a repeat tonight. Proud that Helio is very happy to be racing for Roger Penske in the Indy Racing League. No mention of CART, Formula 1, and road courses by Helio...and that is not a myth, pal. Go Helio!

Comment

Re: Indycars necessary on Roadcourse venues?

Originally posted by carl s
                              Is it really necessary for the IRL to use their IndyCar division to race on road and street courses if CART closes shop?
                              If the IRL is really intent on getting involved (preserving the venues or increasing market share) with those types of venues (should CART leave) could they not pick-up the venues and contract with another organization to supply the cars?
                              carl s
                              Indio, CA

Aloha Carl's Main Man,,,, In the Land of Mephistopheles

Hey,,,, How About the IPS,,, Car's ???

First:

At the rate of destruction, that has taken place in the IPS, with "Daddy's Little Protégé's, at the wheel, in the last couple of years, a new contract for cars will be needed soon... NO ?? Negotiate, for a smaller car, with a TON of bullet proof HP, super brakes, paddel shifters,,, and the whole enchilada costing no more than $19.95, with a full tank of fuel....

Make them Road Racing Cars, that can also run on an Oval, after you turn the Rev limiter down to half..... Spec everything, even the paint... Well not the color of the paint, but the brand....

But Don't Fool With the BIG CARS

Then use these NEW IPS cars in a dual-purpose role,,, run them at the Street Fairs, and Road Shows.... That's for the,,, TWO shows you run each YEAR.... Run them with the Big Name IRL Drivers,,, putting on an "Exhibition of Speed" on the roads and streets, of America, twice a year,,, maybe four times a year... It's a Great PR Move,,, if used correctly...

I can see it now:

"See YOUR,,, Big Time Indianapolis 500 Drivers at your Local Road Couse, or Street Fair, Next Sunday June XX....

Free Corn Dogs,,, Free Soda,, Kid's Free,,, Get a signed picture of you and your favorite driver, Signed By Him,,, FREE.... Free Merry Go Round Rides for the Kid,,, Free Mustache Rides by Ashely Juggs for Daddy,,,,

All at the local,,, ABC Road Course Show or Street Fair Show;;;

This Coming Weekend...

A guy by the name of "Aggie the Garbage Man", did somethig like this in the past,,, it worked great, for him, the drivers, and the Fans...

What a great PR move for Indy Cars, and the Speedway... We keep talking about promotion... Use these "Street Fairs", and "Gothic" Road Course venues, as a PR tool, to promote the IRL, the Speedway, and Oval Track Racing... Let the common mass's see an INDY Car Driver, at his worst...

But Make Sure,,, You Don't Use the BIG CARS, and make that well publicized...

NO PIT STOPS,,, RUN THEM IN HEATS,,, and

NO BIG CARS,,, to be used in Promotional Street Fair Racing...

"If you want to see them racing, in the BIG CARS,,, with Wheel to Wheel Racing,,, at Death Defying Speeds,,,, you got to come next weekend to Texas Speedway",, to Kentucky Speedwha,,, Charloot Speedway... You get the point...

Just as it was used in the past... It worked good in the past, for CART... Right Up until the point that the super greedy car owners, and the CART monkey's, got to thinking the PR Road Shows, and PR Street Parades,,, WHERE the SHOW... They weren't,,, Indy was, and always was, and Alway's will be, for open wheel racing, in the good Old USA...

Then on "Duel Oval Weekends", the "Road Course" IPS cars, can be return to their current duty,,,, "Destruction Derby Cars",,,, for the "Brat Brigade" of the Rich and Imfamous"...

Driving 101 for the ""Daddy's Little Protégé's",,,, And from what I understand, they tried to charge folks to watch the "Brat Brigade' this last weekend... How did that work out ??? Who ever thought that up, ought to have his Kazoo inspected for extra holes... Give the paying fan a show,,, a NASCAR type Show, make it easy and fun for the fan,,, don't screw them...

The IPS Road Race SMALL OVAL Spec Race CAR,,, see how I slipped that SMALL OVAL in CARL... It will also be a great tool, to give the newbie rear engined ''Engineers" a chance to learn their trade... A lot of them, have zero talent, or have been hiding it quite well... I think it's the "Engineers" that need to learn, not the drivers with talent... That's what is Lacking in the IRL and IPS for that matter... IF you are going to use "Rear Engined Aero Slot Cars",,, you need great engineers,,, the drivers will take care of themselves, if you give them a great car to start with...

We talk about teaching,,, quote,,, quote,,, a Short Tracker With a Ton of Natural Talent,,, how to drive a Rear Engined Super Aero Sled Slot Car... How about Teaching the Engineers first, then get back to me.... Teach them how to give a Great car,,, to a Great Super Star Short Tracker with a Ton of Natural Talent.... Check Mate,,, Match Point...

In the Past, we have had the Donkey Pushing the CART,,, now just for fun, lets try having the Donkey ,,, Pull the IRL, into the Big Time.... Then watch out Gil, Elee0, and Sammy,,, just keep a watching your mirrors, and that "Flash" you see on the "Outside",,, may just be one of your local "Short Tracker" "sticking" one on you...

A couple of "Road Shows" would be great... A Rest,,,, a little BREAK,,, a little Pause,,, from the Pressure, of running high speed ovals... And a little break from putting on a Great Show... And who knows,,, you throw a little PR Show,,, and a Race might break out...

I just don't see how you can grow the number of "High Speed Oval Races",,,, much past 18 or 20... In fact that may be to many... The "Exposure" is just to great...

If you start running 150 or 200 hours a year at 230 MPH, racing wheel to wheel,,,, you better order more body casts, and body bags.... 30 to 60 hours, at that speed, wheel to wheel, is asking a lot, from a human being.. That's scary enough... Then add in all the testing.... wow

Or,,, just turn the whole thing into an "Extream Sport",,, so that "Daddy's Little Protégé's",,, can just get back at their Daddy's... By making Daddy just wet his pants, a couple of times a month, in public... Just by watching Jr. try to kill himself, that will be great pay back from Jr.... This is what "Daddy" get's, for trying to make a "Man" out of the little "Snot",,, in the first place....

Back to the Cars:

I wonder if they can up the HP in them, and get a bullet proof engine ?? Can they up the HP for the Road Shows ??? Then cut it, when the " Brat Brigade" drive on the Ovals ??? They would need a better transmission,,, paddle shifters, and at least 10 speeds foward and three back....

I know Tony has cut the "Brain Trust" by ten fold, by cut cutting out the small independent engine man, in some back alley garage.... That's Sad...

And yes,,, just to show you my Heart's" in the right place Carl's, I would rather see Tracy and Hinds, but until the COST is CONTROLLED.... I don't think you will see it...

But Don't You Ever Stop Pushing That Rope Up Hill,,, Carl's Main Man....

Maybe some day, again, after we get some good engineers, but for now, let "Our" great drivers go South... Less Exposure, More Money, More Talent, and More Fame... It's just that the racing an't as good, and we want open wheel cars, and for purer racing, the racing in the IRL, is going to be hard to bead, regardless who is driving......

My History Outline...

1950 Loved Lee Wallard,,,, Hated Bill France

1960 Loved Tony Bettenhausen,,,, Hated Fire Ball Roberts...

1970 Loved AJ Foyt,,,,, LIKED the silent one,,, PEARSON

1980 Loved AJ,,,Liked Mears,,,,Really Like Cale,,, Bobby,,, Donnie,,, Loved Dale,,, just loved him,,, Dale knew how to entertain the troops... What a Class Act...

1990 Still Loved AJ,,, Still Do,, But Hated the SHOW,,, Hated the Racing in CART.... Hated the ***** deal... But just Loved Cale, Bobby, Mark,,, Awsome Bill from Dawsonville,,, Allen,,, What a Kid,,, Dale,,,,,,

Now,,, I Just Love the IRL, not as much as I did the year the KING ran,,, but the racing is so much better now... Stil Love Nascar,,,, the racing sucks sometimes,,, but the talent, and drivers are just great... The Total Show,,, is just first Class... A NASCAR Show, just makes you feel good, that's the key, the connection...

But as far as the racing, the vote goes to the IRL, it is hard to beat right now... But NASCAR still is the Big Total Entertaiment Show...

IT IS JUST GREAT ENTERTAINMENT
                              Last edited by BigWheelHawaii; 08-14-2003, 08:32 PM.
                              Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X