question for anyone who might know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for anyone who might know

This may have been brought up here before and if it has I am sorry. I just read the Falcon thread and was very disapointed to see that a couple of the engine manufacturers wouldn't even let their teams look at the Falcon. IMO this seems very wrong.

Anyway, my question is...

Would it be possible for the IRL to have engines that are not badged? Maybe something much cheaper that maybe lacks some of the bells and whistles while being much more affordable? Maybe something like a stock motor? All answers would be appreciated.
    Last edited by IndyIRLman; 08-14-2003, 06:54 AM.
    IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

I am not an expert on the rules, but I think the rules would have to be changed to allow this. I would doubt this would be done, as no engine manufacturer wants to risk being beaten by a no-name engine.
    One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

The IRL can do whatever it want's. I've heard people push the idea of true stock blocks and I've always been against it, but I'm starting to warm considerably to the idea.
      "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by BlueStang
        I am not an expert on the rules, but I think the rules would have to be changed to allow this. I would doubt this would be done, as no engine manufacturer wants to risk being beaten by a no-name engine.
        Well I meant in an attempt to keep the engine manufacturers from trying to dictate rules. My thoughts are what if Tony says "you do it this way or no way" and they decide to just leave. It isn't like anyone would be surprised to see the engine manufacturers just leave, right? This way they would have engines readily available. It was just a thought by a person upset about the Falcon deal.
        Last edited by IndyIRLman; 08-14-2003, 06:55 AM.
        IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

I wouldn't be the least bit hesitant to tell any manufacturer to get the h3|| out when they start playing those kind of disingenuous games. The IRL did fine with GM and Infiniti.

The dollars T & H spend are nice, but I'm not in favor of becoming a prostitute to earn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Defender
            I wouldn't be the least bit hesitant to tell any manufacturer to get the h3|| out when they start playing those kind of disingenuous games.

These are also my thoughts. I am really pi$$ed about that Falcon deal.
            Last edited by IndyIRLman; 08-14-2003, 06:56 AM.
            IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

Originally posted by IndyIRLman
              I am really pi$$ed about that Falcon deal.
              Can't repeat this enough. :mad:

Comment

"I wouldn't be the least bit hesitant to tell any manufacturer to get the h3|| out when they start playing those kind of disingenuous games. The IRL did fine with GM and Infiniti."

Hello...finally starting to see the light Defender...the IRL is gone, welcome to the son of CART...

Thank you Mr. Bennett
                Last edited by hdolan; 08-13-2003, 09:13 AM.

Comment

There's still hope. I'm waiting to see who's got the courage in the IRL to NOT become a total street wh0re on their behalf.

Comment

First, Scott said engine manufactures not just T and H. One can only assume that Chevy also told their teams they couldn't look at Falcon.

In defense of the manufacturers would you want your teams to take a risk on a chassis that Scott admitted was not finished at the November roll out?

Comment

No engine manufacturer should have the right to dictate any chassis selection. Period. Under ANY circumstance.

Comment

"There's still hope. I'm waiting to see who's got the courage in the IRL to NOT become a total street wh0re on their behalf."

Well, if it's going on at the top, you can rest assured it's throughout the house...
                        Last edited by hdolan; 08-13-2003, 10:13 AM.

Comment

What would be nice would be a rules platform that would allow more engine manufacturers and chassis builders to participate. Then one or two component vendors would not be able to adversely affect your other vendors.

The IRL almost had the magic formula figured out in 2001-2002. Stable engine & chassis package, 3rd party engine tuners to help with the "cottage" industry that they were trying to foster and put some creativity into a spec series, and this stable platform is what allowed other interlopers like AGR, Rahal, etc. to participate too. Which made for interesting competition.

If the IRL would not have capitulated on the lease issue, things might not be as bad. Now the manufacturers are calling the shots. And we know where that leads...

Comment

The rules state that an engine must be badged by a manufacturer, and that the manufacturer must commit to spending several million dollars marketing the series.

If those requirements were not in place, we'd see some TWR/MCT engines on the track.

Comment

There was a huge discussion here about engines. Some got moved to Tech Talk. Others stayed here I think. Here is one...

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...threadid=30391
                              Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X