Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

reflecting on falcon: what was that about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reflecting on falcon: what was that about?

Was it MK's intension to sell cars without even building one? I am curious if one was really even completed and if not, why were they allowed in the IRL?

I just find it intresting that more has not bubbled up to the surface on why a car never hit the track. All they had to do is make one chassis and roll it out for a test.

Was Falcon simply a paper company created to grab a market without making the commitment of building an actual product for the sake of saving money? That mach up we saw last November was a seemingly a scam.
    Get your head out of your past!!!

Just another "victim" of big business.

IMO

jcr

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that they suffered from the same problem most start up businesses do. They didn't have enough capital to sustain them until their sales could support them.
      Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Comment

Come on. How could anyone believe you can start a racecar manufacturing business without enough capital to build at least one running car.

What were they thinking? Did they think they would get people to buy on faith? Even if they sold one car, would that have been enough money to actually get the thing deliverable?

And the brains behind this deal used to run ford's racing department?

What are the odds of a fully developed falcon ending up showing up in marlboro colors before long?

What was that whole abberition about? What could those people have possibly been thinking?

As you can see, there are alot more questions than answers.
        "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

They built a **** that no real racers had an interest in.

They had moral support from the top but couldn't pass the reality test.

Had Lola not been discouraged Gforce and Dalara would have some competition.

Of course considering the car counts one has to wonder why three chassis were considered in the first place.
          "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

I recall seeing a photo of the first car built during some show and tell. I also recall reading a letter from the executives describing why they were going out of business. I believe it was because no team was willing to sign up as a user (and probably put up some bucks). Anyone else remember the letter and the details?
            If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Comment

Here you go!

Look at www.falconcars.com
              If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.

Comment

The reality of building a new car is that you have to pay someone to prove you've got a chassis.

Doesn't help, though, when one or two engine manufactuers tell their teams not to touch your car with a 20 foot pole.
                http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Doesn't help, though, when one or two engine manufactuers tell their teams not to touch your car with a 20 foot pole.
                  Wrench nails it.

With T & H paying most of the bills for the former CART teams, Falcon was toast from the start. IIRC, they couldn't even get a engine for purposes of working out "fit" issues from our the IRL's new partners (which I believe they were required to provide.)

Heck, they could have given away a half dozen freebies to a Chevy teams and it wouldn't have made any difference as long as T & H were freezing them out, they were history.
                  Last edited by AdamM; 08-12-2003, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I am not trying to defend anyone and I certainly don't know the folks at Falcon, but I believe and cherish the American spirit of trying to build a dream. Success and failure are such a part of the American dream. Is Falcon so different than Strang?? I don't know...maybe I know what it is like to have everything on the line because of a "dream." I have been one of the lucky ones....so far, my dream is working.

I only know one person at Falcon who emailed me stating that they had bought some photos from us which represented why they were pursuing what they do. It was this photo:

I suppose before you throw stones, how many of you have started a business before?? It pains me to see how people are so easy to throw people under the bus without ever having participated and putting in real capital behind a vision. These guys risked (and now as history tells the story) lost their investment. Not small change even for big players, nobody invests without the full belief that they will make their investment + back tenfold.

Maybe the idea was a "****"...maybe it was the next Indy winning chassis without a chance due to economic times. The history is written...I just hope all of you think about the risk that several individuals took (and money too) to pursue an Indy dream....because they loved the sport.

Sorry about the soapbox statement, but sometimes I think it is easy to forget that these are real people who have banked their entire life savings on it working, not failing.

They are the people behind the history....actually, we all at some level. What a grand thing.

Comment

I don't know why it never made the track but I wishit did. it is an awsome looking car! I wonder if any company will try to buy the design and then try to build them for the 2004 season?
                      I hope so its an awsome looking car, oh wait I already said that!

lol

Comment

OT but relevent:
                        Some of you know this, some don't!
                        One of the guys that built IMS, also built another vision of the future. It was and is called Miami Beach,Fl.
                        My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

Comment

Originally posted by AdamM
                          Wrench nails it.

With T & H paying most of the bills for the former CART teams, Falcon was toast from the start. IIRC, they couldn't even get a engine for purposes of working out "fit" issues from our the IRL's new partners (which I believe they were required to provide.)

Heck, they could have given away a half dozen freebies to a Chevy teams and it wouldn't have made any difference as long as T & H were freezing them out, they were history.
                          Yep - See my post #2 in this thread. It was meant to be sarcastic.

jcr

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Harrington
                            OT but relevent:
                            Some of you know this, some don't!
                            One of the guys that built IMS, also built another vision of the future. It was and is called Miami Beach,Fl.
                            yeah Carl Fisher. I just saw that on the history channel about a week ago Jack. I think it's particularly interesting that Indianapolis, not Detroit, was the original motor city in the early days!!!
                            http://brianswish.trackforum.com/brianswish_main.htm/

Comment

my point exactly...these guys planned to make money on their investment, not lose it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X