Dave Despain Asks THE QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Despain Asks THE QUESTION

Was there actually an original IRL vision for helping to bring USAC drivers up through the ranks to the series?

- OR -

Was all that smoke n' mirrors while Tony took complete control of highest form of open wheel racing in America?

That is a great question...

One original IRL team owner told me in the pits Saturday that if there was that kind of "original IRL vision" it's long gone now.

I think that's unfortunate and bad leadership on TG's part if true. IMO, the IRL is very good now, but really could have been great.

After Gateway this past weekend, I have come to accept that if I am going to enjoy the IRL (which I definitely do and AM a fan of) I am going to have accept the IRL for what it is and what it will not be; which is a place for the likes of Tracy Hines and JJ Yeley to end up. There is no use in posting/whining about it...it is what it is and that's that.

By the way, for whatever its worth good luck to Jay Drake in his upcoming IRL test at Kentucky.
    "...American open-wheel racing is based around the most famous oval track in the world -- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So how in the world does it make sense to center the majority of the IndyCar Series on street courses, road courses and foreign events?..." Terry Blount, ESPN

"That is a great question..."

I respectfully disagree.
    "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

This is a question for Racewriter. He spend some time pulling up quotes.

Personally, I wouldn't say "smoke n' mirrors", but I think that the best that can be put forth is an 'opportunity' for USAC drivers was made.

The rest is up to them.
      "You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
      -John Morley

Comment

Re: Dave Despain Asks THE QUESTION

Originally posted by ghost
        There is no use in posting/whining about it...it is what it is and that's that.
        And likewise there's no use in spening hundreds of dollars to go to races to see anything less than what you really want to see.
        "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

st'rs need money to feed their families. team owners need money to feed their teams. it's NOT TG's fault IMO, he's doing what's best for the preservation of the whole!
          http://brianswish.trackforum.com/brianswish_main.htm/

Comment

Originally posted by trow
            st'rs need money to feed their families. team owners need money to feed their teams. it's NOT TG's fault IMO, he's doing what's best for the preservation of the whole!
            Exactly, vision is one thing .... the purpose for the creation of the league was to protect the Indy 500.
            "You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
            -John Morley

Comment

Re: Re: Dave Despain Asks THE QUESTION

Originally posted by MichaelP
              And likewise there's no use in spening hundreds of dollars to go to races to see anything less than what you really want to see.
              Which is why this open-wheel freak has been spending hundreds of dollars each year to see freaking taxicabs instead of IndyCars.

Watching Tracy Hines dominate the CTS event at IRP put the nail in the IRL coffin for me... I'll still spend at least 15 days in May at IMS, but I'm really beginning to doubt I'll go to another IRL race outside of that.

And to think I've ventured out of state to at least two events/season since that great day in Orlando that seems like so long ago.

Comment

Was there actually an original IRL vision for helping to bring USAC drivers up through the ranks to the series?

- OR -

Was all that smoke n' mirrors while Tony took complete control of highest form of open wheel racing in America?
                The whole 'question' ASSUMES there was at least some kind of stated vision. Further, the assumption includes the concocted notion that the 'vision' was there to help bring USAC drivers up through the ranks. Even further, the 'smoke and mirrors' question seems to be an arrogant taunt because the first assumption includes a 'yes' answer to a conconcted question.

For Christ's sake folks, can we stop living in 1996 already? Let's move on. c^rt is dead, and they killed themselves. If you want to continue such deceased equine abuse, have at it on c-wagon with all the childish idiots over there.

Did Tony say he would like to see Americans get more shots? Of course he did. Did he ever say that's why he set up the series? Nope.

I would dearly love to see J.J. Yeley get another shot in Indy Cars. He's a great race car driver. Perhaps if had not had a Sheckter-like propensity to destroy equipment the first time around, then maybe he could get another shot. I'm certain he has grown in his ability since then.

His current words are certainly not endearing him to IRL owners. He has to WANT to be in the league, and what he has been saying lately is 'I want to be in NASCAR.' Now that may be Ford or some other external thing talking, but I don't care.

If he wants to be in the IRL, then great. If he doesn't, great too. If J.J. does not get another shot in the IRL, it's not the end of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by JBaiza
                  Exactly, vision is one thing .... the purpose for the creation of the league was to protect the Indy 500.

yep, money talks bs walks. so terribly sad but so terribly true. oh, you gotta love this game! the trick to it is for those who wanna make 250 grand per year for 18 races (approx) need to figure out a way to get off their dead arses and learn how to race big boy racecars! if they choose to run 100 small tracks a year then maybe it'd be nice for them to explain to Indy fans why they dont make an effort to get in an IndyCar, rather than sit back idly and allow TG to take the heat for why they won't beat the pavement. please spare the "gotta provide for families bs" where there's a will there's a way. my brother has been trying to get his band off the ground for over 5 years while working split shifts swing shifts and anything shift he can work to see his dreams materialize (he watches his two children every day). I have never heard him or his wife complain because it's tough. he's miserable without his 6 string. I can't imagine it being any different with passionate racers from the Sprint ranks.

ok, back on topic. it's all about Indy, yepp!

Comment

Remember when the IRL was originally relying on the USAC crew to officiate the races - the tie was very close. There is still a tie but IMHO - it is not as tight as it used to be. Fortunately or unfortunately situations do change and it takes time and skill to refine the direction to the ultimate goal.

Remember NASA was trying to put a vehicle in orbit around Mars and did not make the needed adjustments and it "landed" instead - OOPS.

Time will tell whether the ultimate goal of something "useful" is accomplished or not.
                    Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

"His current words are certainly not endearing him to IRL owners. He has to WANT to be in the league, and what he has been saying lately is 'I want to be in NASCAR.' Now that may be Ford or some other external thing talking, but I don't care."

Of course he wants to be in NASCAR...they pay well...you need to get real Defender...until IRL owners are willing to pay these guys it will continue to be a minor league sport, ABC or no ABC...

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan
                        "His current words are certainly not endearing him to IRL owners. He has to WANT to be in the league, and what he has been saying lately is 'I want to be in NASCAR.' Now that may be Ford or some other external thing talking, but I don't care."

Of course he wants to be in NASCAR...they pay well...you need to get real Defender...until IRL owners are willing to pay these guys it will continue to be a minor league sport, ABC or no ABC...
                        dolan, do you really think Hemelgarn doesn't want to pay Lazier good money? He's got to have sponsorship. to get sponsorship it has to make sense to sponsors. the league is trying to fix the bigger picture so sponsorship says, "wow, check out what we can do with 5 Mil!" when they do get more sponsors to see that IndyCar is the best use of their money they'll dive in and guys like Hemelgarn and others such as Access, and SS Motorsports will get more responses to their offers. Everyone will be winners and IndyCar as a whole will have more teams who actively look for ST'r hotshoes!!!!!!!

Comment

Also true. About the pay.

Comment

There was a bit of both.

The USAC guys did make their splash when the league was formed and had an oppertunity to participate; however they did not grow with the league. They did not seek the sponsoship or could not get the backing of sponsors. They were not prepared to know how to do the leg work as drivers and as team owners. This is why as Tony's money dried up they drifted away, hated to see it but that is what happened. As the USAC driver, or any other feeder driver from America, learns to play the game then and only then will the gate be opened to them.

And yes Tony did want control and that was the means to the end.
                            "Remember, your kids can get student loans, but there's no such thing as a retirement loan."

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan
                              Dario Franchitti - $5 Million per yr WITHOUT having to drive. Now I'd say that's pretty good.

Helio & Gil - Salaries have NEVER been approached in public as far as I know, but I GUARANTEE you that it's at LEAST a couple Mil/yr.

Tony Kannan - at LEAST $2.5/yr

Sam Hornish - WILL be highest paid IRL driver before the end of August!

Al Unser Jr. - Everyone was bichin cuz "supposedly" Tony was paying his $5 Million salary.

Scott Dixon - WELL over $1.5/yr and C^RT PAID it last year! gotta love that don't ya!

Kenny Brack - You KNOW he's making money between Rahal, Pioneer, Miller Lite AND Honda.

Ya gotta walk before you can crawl Howard. Sometimes I feel that you think the IRL should've been paying salaries like that since 96!

It's coming Howard, especially when C^RT goes tits-up. Sponsorships WILL flow to the IRL. It's more economical, more exciting and they'll get more exposure.
                              But that's just my opinion!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X