X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childres teaming up with Panther?

Link to the Indy Star

Childress eyes IRL

NASCAR team owner Richard Childress confirmed Sunday that he is seriously considering being part of a new IRL entry for 2004.

Reached in Watkins Glen, N.Y., Childress told The Star he has spoken with more than one open-wheel team about fielding a car next season. One apparently is the IRL's Panther Racing, which employs engineer Andy Brown, with whom Childress is impressed.

"It would be a little of our (stock car) technology and a little of theirs," said Childress, who has been involved in a pair of Indianapolis 500s in minor partnerships with A.J. Foyt and John Menard. "I think it would help our Winston Cup teams."

Childress' involvement could help Panther retain two-time series champion Sam Hornish Jr., who also would like to run the Daytona 500 next year.

I've always thought that Hornish and Robby Gordon (500 only) would be great teammates that would compliment each other. Of course, they would have to hire a full-time driver err...Alex Barron OR Paul Tracy...
    "I love Indianapolis. I love the people. I love everything about it....the tradition, the history." - Dan Wheldon

Comment

This could be the direct link for Sam Hornish to compete in selected Nextel Cup events for 2004 and beyond.
      If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

Comment

Richard has been looking in doing that since last season. My mom talked to Robby at Union Jacks during May in 2002 (right before Carb day I think). He said that Richard really likes the IRL and that he might end up having an IRL team someday. He also noted that is why Richard was part of the Menard deal last year.

Comment

camel

nose

tent

Hornish

Connect the dots.
          "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Originally posted by KnockOff
            camel

nose

tent

Hornish

Connect the dots.
            For those of us that are a little slow why don't you walk us through it.

Comment

I would rather see RCR with their own team, but would welcome them anyway. A full time team would be better than the past "Indy only" ones. If this involement leads to their own team the following year it would be even mor of a plus.
              "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

camel

nose

tent

Hornish

Connect the dots.

I don't see any dots. All I get are question marks ??????????????????????????
                I'm talking high banks man. Texas - 24 degrees. - Kenny Brack

Comment

I would love to see RCR in the IRL. I don't even see how it could be considered a bad thing. We need teams in the IRL. His team would likely become a very good one.
                  IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

Originally posted by IndyIRLman
                    I would love to see RCR in the IRL. I don't even see how it could be considered a bad thing. We need teams in the IRL. His team would likely become a very good one.
                    And more than likely what MOST of us have clamored for....ANOTHER American Driver. No one here honestly thinks that Richard Childress would put someone like Tora Takagi in his car do you?
                    But that's just my opinion!

Comment

I would think Richard would want to keep Robby Gordon in the #31 Cup car. He did win yesterday, you know. . .

Plenty of good drivers to choose from. Some have already been spoken to, I'd suppose. . .
                      "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

I'm leery of Childress getting Sam under any contract.

Here are the "dots" to connect:

Camel = Childress

Nose = IRL/NASCAR driver contract

Tent = IRL

Hornish = Childress property

After a year of running both IRL and "selected" Cup events, Childress could have Sam running selected IRL events.

A year later Sam's totally committed to Cup racing and no IRL events.

That's how I'd do it if I was Childress.

:mad:
                        "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

I'm leery of Childress getting Sam under any contract.

Here are the "dots" to connect:

Camel = Childress

Nose = IRL/NASCAR driver contract

Tent = IRL

Hornish = Childress property

After a year of running both IRL and "selected" Cup events, Childress could have Sam running selected IRL events.

A year later Sam's totally committed to Cup racing and no IRL events.

That's how I'd do it if I was Childress.

:mad:
                          Geez KO. Good thing you connected the dots for us.

All I could come up with is:

camel = water
                          nose = running like a faucet
                          tent = waterproof
                          Hornish = likes to drink water?
                          IRL, Champcar and F1 fan

Comment

All this subterfuge and machinations over a driver who as never driver a cup car.
                            is this a realistic scenario?

*pardon my floweryness*
                            ...the spice must flow.....

Comment

I would also imagine that RCR involvement in the IRL might help sell a few more tickets and have a few more folks wathching on TV.

Anyone think we might see a GM Goodwrench car in the IRL?
                              If the league is not going to shift their stance on the fees I would imagine all of the ovals would start being replaced by "chamber of commerce financially supported" TV infomercials dressed up like a car race for different city centers across the USA.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X