Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whose helicopter at Gateway

Roger's or Tony's?

If you were there, you know the one I mean.

Tom Kelley
    SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
    " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Neither, it was Chris Pook's!
      My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

Comment

Bernie Eccelstone
        Center Grove Trojans
        2008 5A Football State Champs
        2015 6A Football State Champs
        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
        2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

That was an awesome looking site when it flew in. I thought maybe Mike Shannon came in on it?
          i WAKE UP FOR MAY!

Comment

N500TK

Comment

It was Tom Kelley’s helicopter; he was giving rides to people in it this past weekend. I know some of the team took a ride and they all had a fun time on it.

Comment

Pulling 4G in a 180° turn around the St Louis arch. Yeah, I'd say it was fun.

Comment

Was it black?
                  Have a very blessed day!

Comment

No pics?
                    Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

Originally posted by PHJIndy
                      Was it black?

nope.........marooooooooon............
                      SENسR MODERATOR......

" Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Re: Whose helicopter at Gateway

Originally posted by Cupfan
                        Roger's or Tony's?

If you were there, you know the one I mean.

Aloha All,,,, You Chopper Nuts or is that just,,, Chopped Nuts...

What kind of Chopper,,,, a brand new,,, Tommy Gun Chopper ? I am sure Tommy flys it too ??? Oh poor baby... Tommy he's a trip,,,, no shortage of ego there,,,, me thinks... Nor for that matter, no shortage of ego, for the poor fellow pounding on this keyboard, I just keep typing away...

With a lot of envy, and a touch of jealousy,,, I write....

When Tommy first showed up at the Reno Air Races, he had one of the first "Million Dollar Mustangs", on the Warbird scene... Most of us were still flying old surplus junkers or some "hand me downs", left over from the San Salvador Soccer Wars... At first I thought it was a "Caviler Mustang", just one, without the "H" model tail installed... It wasn't a Caviler, but what a beauty,,, just the same, all first class... I think some outfit in Indiana overhauled it, and what a great job they did... It was a complete IRAN overhaul...

Tommy showed up on the scene at Reno, all "decked' out in the latest "Warbird" Flying Garb... He looked like he just stepped out of one of them Clark Gable movies, or a Hollywood Playboy, starring in the movie,"Twelve O'Clock High"... I guess all "Warbird" nuts, wore a little something special at times, just to remind all the civilians , we weren't the average "Spam Can Drivers"... We Had the Right Stuff, alright... But a few of us, like me, had just misplaced it... By this time in my life, I had misplaced "The Right Stuff", years ago... But I kept looking for the misplaced stuff, just the same... Now, Tommy's equipment list, was all brand new, not US Surplus Issue, or junk left in the coner of some dusty hanger, or dug out of our Dad's, closet... But not Tommy, he looked like one of the original members of the AVG,,, the Flying Tigers... There was no doubt, he was a "player" from day one... The only guy that ever matched Tommy's costume, was Howie Keefe... We use to called him "Zowie Howie", he flew Race 11, Miss America, you might remember the airplane... He was a trip, and the nickname "Zowie Howie", was more than fitting....

Tom's Dad, wouldn't let him fly that Mustang, in the races.... I can't blame the "Old Man", not one bit... It was a "Million Dollar Bird", and I wouldn't want to dig my boy, and his Mustang, out of some smoking hole, in the desert either... In fact, I am not sure Tommy flew that airplane out from Indiana, that first couple of years... Old Man Kelly, sure loved that boy,,, just worshiped him, much like Anton Hulman,,, loved the "Boy Prince"....

In a year or two, Tommy finally talked the "Old Man" into, at least letting John Dilley, fly the airplane in the "Stocker Class" at Reno.... Dilley was a Duster Pilot also, out of the other Valley I think, or at least he was pushing a Duster at that time, I think, I might be wrong on that one... John's now, big in civilian warbird jets, but a real nice man, and a great talent to boot... In fact, Tommy's airplane might of been John's first ride at Reno, not sure now, it's been some time... John was a Great Mustang Shoe, not to sure what kind of a "Shoe" or "Stick and Rudder Man" Tommy was... But it's no biggie, a Mustang is quite easy to fly... Well at least, until you have someone shooting at you, or you get down in the dirt, or have some kind of a problem, and the "Fan" wants to quit turning,,, then they can be a handful.... Tom Woods from somewhere back in Indy country, had a beauty also... I might of flown his "Stang" once, not sure, if that was Tom Wood's airplane or not, but it was a nice one too.... I didn't fly Tommy's, I wanted to, but was never asked, nor would I ask... I see, where Tommy's Mustang, P-51,,, 51TK, was wadded up, on a takeoff accident, in the early nineties, I think.... In most airplanes the "landing" can be the, "thrill of thrills", but not in a Mustang... It was the takeoff that always got my attention... Tommy's old airplane has been rebuilt, since the accident and is flying again now... I think that happened after Tommy sold it... Tommy's airplane was all painted up in the 375th Fighter Squadron colors out of the 361st Air Group, Eight Air Force.... The real Lou IV was the personal P-51 flown by Colonel Tom Christian, who was the "361st Groups" C.O..... Unfortunately he didn't survive the war.... The airplane he was killed in, was originally named for his son, a boy he never got to see either... Also, Colonel Christian was also the great grand son, of the Civil War Hero, Stone Wall Jackson... Two American Heros in that family... God I use to know all this crap off the top of my head.... ( Here are some names from other Mustangs Colonel Christian flew,,, before he was killed... He was killed just before the war ended... I think they were forerunners, to Lou IV,,, not sure... "Chop Stick's Louie",,, "Louie the Lizzard",,, and "Last Chance Louie".... I have no warbird history books left here on Maui,, either burned them all for heat, or used them to set "signal fires",,, to fight off the Korean Chicken Brigade, that attacks each month, like clock work, scary bunch..)

Great Quote From: "Old Man Kelley"....

Yes yes,,, My Son Tommy, has an Indy Car Team, worth 25 Million Dollars, you are so right.... Only problem I see,,,, it cost me 50 Million Dollars to fund, and it an't made one dime yet, and I don't think it ever will"....

Classic, how do you make a million dollars in racing,,, start out with ten million.... Old Man Kelly,,, he must have a ton of dough lying around... I just wonder if Tommy has ever made a dime on his own, or worked one day in this life.... When I first met him, we were both just kids,,, and at that time, the "thought" of work or making money, had never crossed his mind, I am sure of that... But, I've got to admit, the thought never crossed my mind either, except I had developed one very nasty habit,,, eating... I have no idea, what the answer is, I know he exhibits a tremendous work ethic, with that race team, and the team shows it... Now it may need a new strategist or someone to help Tommy with fuel stops... Tommy use to be kind of a "Want to Be",,, around the Warbird Community, but I think he has arrived as a Big Time Car Owner, in Indy Cars.... And there is nothing wrong with that... It is kind of sad, that there is only one Roger Penske, one AJ Foyt, or one Chuck Yeager... All most of us can do, is live in their shadow, or at best, dream of their success...

Getting back to Tommy,,, I will say this... He was, and I am sure, he still is one find human being... Just an example... And not to drop to many names, but.... One year at Reno, Billy Whittington, threw a little party out at a horse ranch east of Reno... This "party" was planned for one Thursday, after all the action had concluded at Stead .... Dinner,,, open bar,,, live entertainment, all to be capped off with some kind of charity auction, featuring a ton of world class Filly's... Very well trained young Filly's, too I might add... LOL As I remember, they might of auctioned off a couple of brood mares also, it's been a couple of years, and my mind was a little foggy that night... This auction party, or maybe I should call it an "action party", ended up becoming a yealy event, well right up until Billy got a new job, with the Government, making small rocks, out of big rocks......

When I first asked Tommy if he was going to attend this star stud-ed gala,,, he shot an answer right back at me,,, no way buddy... But I heard that from a lot of people, "they would never attend", nor did they want anything to do with Billy, Don, or the Whittington money... Well being the slezze ball that I am, I had already volunteered to take charge of the "entertainment" committee... Now, in my defence, that was before I realized who the Whitington Brothers were, and where all that money was coming from.... Yea,,, sure,,, I've heard that story before....

On the planned day, of the big affair, I was at the ranch by mid afternoon,,, at least I hoped it was mid "afternoon", not sure now, could of been a day or two earlier... But I went right to work, like a good little groupie,,, checking and double checking all the entertaiment venues that were on the menue, for that coming evening... But by 3 AM the next morning,,, the "Party" had grown,,, beyond all expectations in size... Total success, I called it, and relaid that information to Billy... Like it was kind of busting out at the seams, at 3 AM... In attendence, were at least 99% of all the Ramp Rats,,, Plane Owners, Pilots, Crews, including a few of the Local Politicians, a few local Jon Dar'ms for good taste, and some North American Aviation,,, big shots... The, "Who's, Who, of the "Wild Blue Yonder", were all in attendance, me thinks... Most of, if not all, the same group, that had swore, they would never attend, were there, except Tommy... I was in no condition to remember much, at 3 AM, but I do remember, no Tommy... All the folks that promised, they wouldn't be caugh dead there,,, where there... But No Tommy,,,

I learned something about Tommy, that night... And to be honest, it kind of hit me like a ton of bricks, all at once... Granted, not at 3 AM, but later that same day, back out at Stead... He's a fine human being, with a set of morals, and standards, with a life style, that he was just not willing to compromise... Regardless of how many young Filly's were in the "Reatta"... Or how many "Big Shots" were there...

Am I jealous, of Tommy, somewhat,,, envious,,, oh he!! yes,,, I'd love to be doing what Tommy is doing... It's called having fun.... Big Time,,,, My life style,,,, has always been an example,,, of,,, Life Styels of the Poor and Infamous...
                        Last edited by BigWheelHawaii; 08-12-2003, 10:27 AM.
                        Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Nice read. I wasn't even there and it makes ME nostalgic! Yes, contrary to what some on here want to believe, TK is a great person to use as a role model.
                          Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

Yah know BWH, that rivals some of Docs fishin storys for fun entertainment value.........I think maybe we need a story telling forum for you guys. I really enjoy reading that stuff.
                            SENسR MODERATOR......

Comment

dog:
                              That stories forum idea is a darn good one. Everybodies got 'em, most don't offend anyone, and everybody loves 'em! Touche' dog with rings!
                              My major malfunction is...I want the people I love and respect to live forever...The problem is...Life don't work that way...

P.S. Questions, comments, death threats, invitations to a pigs bris, my number is still (317) 809-4483

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X