Looks to me like Sam's outta here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks to me like Sam's outta here

Just watched the IRL pre-race show. After listening to Sam's comments, it looks to me like he's gone. Hope I'm wrong cause I want this guy in the IRL.
    You can't chase the American Dream in a hard-top!

what did he say?

Comment

Basically they talked with both Barnes and Sam.

Barnes's comments were to the effect that "Sam knows what we can bring to him, so we don't bug him about it.

Then they turned to Sam. He said, I'm paraphrasing here, "The decision comes down to a lot of things. Emotions play a part and then there are other factors. I know that I'm probably going to upset some people. I just hope they understand."

Certainly looked to me like he was setting us up for the big switcheroo.

Comment

Originally posted by SPM
        what did he say?
        Yea .... what did he say that led you to think that "he's gone"? Heck, I watched it too.
        "You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
        -John Morley

Comment

I had the same feeling. He seemed very uncomfortable talking about it.
          Center Grove Trojans
          2008 5A Football State Champs
          2015 6A Football State Champs
          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
          2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

OK I see what you mean, Mav-1. We'll all find out in the next 3 weeks that's for sure.
            "You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
            -John Morley

Comment

Just my opinion, but it looked to me like his demeanor on this thing has all changed. As a side note, Marlo reported that Sam is down to three offers from an original eight, and all three were for around the same amount of money. Maybe from his conversation we can assume that Panther is still in the running.

Additionally, man they are pushing the Chevy Gen IV engine.

Comment

Hope not. Would be a HUGE loss for OW.
                "Why do we do this? Because we love it, don't want to be anywhere else but a race car. We will keep your legacy my friend. Racers race."

Tony Kanaan

Comment

[wishful thinking]In retrospect he would have said the same things and had the same demeanor if he was just going to Penske, Ganassi, or another IRL team. [/wishful thinking]
                  Center Grove Trojans
                  2008 5A Football State Champs
                  2015 6A Football State Champs
                  2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                  2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Would be inexcusable and devastating. [Sam to NASCAR]

Comment

Ganassi is throwing a ton of money at Stewart. I would also suspect he's a little underwhelmed with Tomas. A possible scenario would be Dixon or Tomas and Sam in the IRL, Stewart with Dodge in NASCAR, all 3 at Indy and perhaps another tune-up or 2. I would think that Tony would be much happier getting setup and feedback from Sam than either the rookie Dixon or the inexperienced and volatile Tomas.

And Penske remains an option. Roger has said that his 2 drivers will be back but he could always change his mind, put Sam in the car full-time and have Gil run selected races.

As for who he'll be upsetting, well, Panther and Chevy.

Comment

I really hope I'm wrong, but I got "see ya" vibes too.

Came here to post but Mav beat me to it.

What would you do if someone offered you major fame and serious fortune to drive a car in another series?

The money aspect alone is a significant factor.

How much money over ten years do you think Sam could make in Cup cars in proportion to Indy cars?

The fame and exposure factor is impossible to calculate.
                        "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Are we beginning to see the "utility" in running IROC?
                          Sometimes a race is not just a race.
                          Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by KnockOff

What would you do if someone offered you major fame and serious fortune to drive a car in another series?

The money aspect alone is a significant factor.
                            Yep, to be able to be rich and race and have a life or to richer (have more money than you would ever use) and no life outside of racing.

I hope Sam follows his heart and not the money. It would be a serious blow to the IRL for Sam to go to NASCAR.
                            I would think by now that this administration would have a clue as to what it takes to get the job done. So, Get-er-done!!!!!

Comment

"upset some people" doesn't have to mean Panther, rpm says there are four in the mix, all have "wined and dined," " bent over backwards" to secure him, three of four may be "upset." How far does Chevy and Pennzoil whant to go, that is the question? With Penske's amazing success at Indy, why wouldn't Sam want to go there? Gannassi, they win a bunch of IndyCar events, but Penske/Indy is a heck of a "carrott." But Penske says no three-car, and boyh drivers are staying. I think one of the four options is NASCAR, Panther, Ganassi and Penske are the other three, regardless of what Roger said.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X