OT Star Mazda questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Star Mazda questions

I'm watching the Mazda series on Speed at Road Atlanta.
    1. They said there were 33 cars. Until there was a full course yellow, I never saw more than 5 cars in the same shot. Usually it was 3, but on some long shots, you could see 4th and 5th way back there.
    2. They showed the point leader. Said something about him having a good run, starting 10th and running all by himself in 11th. That's what they call a good run in road racing?
    3. It was Road Atlanta. Was this race a secret? I never saw more than 15 fans and they could have been all crew members because they were lined up ONE deep up on the fence.
    4. They kept talking about how great the racing was because they weren't bumping into each other. They weren't bumping into each other because except for the first three, they weren't close enough to each other to bump.
    5. I saw three cars lose it on their own and crash. Are these the guys that are on the road to Indy?

And I actually enjoyed the race, but I enjoy time trials too.
    Some people will do nearly anything in order to be able to not do anything.

Re: OT Star Mazda questions

Originally posted by Lucky161
    I'm watching the Mazda series on Speed at Road Atlanta.
    1. They said there were 33 cars. Until there was a full course yellow, I never saw more than 5 cars in the same shot. Usually it was 3, but on some long shots, you could see 4th and 5th way back there.
    2. They showed the point leader. Said something about him having a good run, starting 10th and running all by himself in 11th. That's what they call a good run in road racing?
    3. It was Road Atlanta. Was this race a secret? I never saw more than 15 fans and they could have been all crew members because they were lined up ONE deep up on the fence.
    4. They kept talking about how great the racing was because they weren't bumping into each other. They weren't bumping into each other because except for the first three, they weren't close enough to each other to bump.
    5. I saw three cars lose it on their own and crash. Are these the guys that are on the road to Indy?

And I actually enjoyed the race, but I enjoy time trials too.

Lucky,,, did you catch the start.... Holy Crap....

Edit: Lucky,,, 36 cars started...

Big crash here also.... IRP

Hines out,,,, Drake out,,,, and some one else just had a big hit, climbed one car and the wall...
    Last edited by BigWheelHawaii; 08-10-2003, 01:52 AM.
    Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

I missed the start of the Mazda race. I can only assume there were more cars on the screen at that time too.

Comment

I missed the Mazda race..
        The races are tape delayed..The announcers do the commentary at a later date..Not sure if they even watch the same race most of the time..Is Johnny O still doing the tv thing? Me thinks he should stick with driving
        To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 11 posts.

Molon Labe!

Comment

Yes yes,,, LUCKY,,,, a ton of them,,, maybe 30 of them...

Who is Edwards,,,,,

He's Roushs new truck driver,,, I guess I remember now.... He's hot right now... He looks older than he is, I think...

This is a good show too.... I wanted to go down the the Local Village and get one stinking cannibal hot dog, but I can't leave the TV... Even bodily functions are suffering,,,, I enjoyed the Mazda Series,,, big time... Great car control, these kids.... Side Ways, don't scare them....

Lucky did you get to catch the short clip of JJ at Bellville,,, wow.... ON the Gas, Big Time,,, to of courage, what a talent...

That is one scary place too,,, big time speed..... JJ won,,, the first night show... He was just fllying... They just had a short clip of him running on Speed News......

These Big Cars, (At IRP) are a pretty good show also.... Now,,, Leffler is out.... ugh,,,ugh,,, that's just ugly...
          Last edited by BigWheelHawaii; 08-10-2003, 01:59 AM.
          Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Comment

Originally posted by mec
            I missed the Mazda race..
            The races are tape delayed..The announcers do the commentary at a later date..Not sure if they even watch the same race most of the time..Is Johnny O still doing the tv thing? Me thinks he should stick with driving

Aloha Mec,,,,,,

Did Jonny O get hurt, while in the IRL,,,, or am I hallucinating again....

Maybe I am hallucinating about these Starr Cars too,,,, but they sure looked good to me,,,,,

The new cars, for next year, they are just so neat,,, me thinks.... Less than seventy thousand, ready to run... God,,, How I can I say,,, Only Seventy Thousand... I would think, the Roto Rooter Mazda Motor, should put out >>>???>>> What,,,,300 HP,,, More ???
            Last edited by BigWheelHawaii; 08-10-2003, 02:09 AM.
            Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Comment

Johnny flipped at Vegas in 96 or something..Skidded on his lid down the front straight....Kind of scary but he was fine...

Thats all I remember....
              To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 11 posts.

Molon Labe!

Comment

I was there. He slid the entire length of the main straight. The car came to a stop and it was very quiet. Then, after about 20 seconds, he crawled out from underneath and bowed to the crowd who gave him a huge cheer. Then he wiped his brow and walked across the grass infield to the pits.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                  I was there. He slid the entire length of the main straight. The car came to a stop and it was very quiet. Then, after about 20 seconds, he crawled out from underneath and bowed to the crowd who gave him a huge cheer. Then he wiped his brow and walked across the grass infield to the pits.

Thank You,,,

I thought he broke his leg somewhere, maybe I am getting him confused with ,,, Schumacher,,,,

I think Schumy broke his leg,,,, no...
                  Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Comment

I am still wondering if those guys are the future of the IRL?

Comment

If they ran those cars in an oval series they could be Lucky. The new cars are a good bit different than the tube frame cars they have run for years so running on ovals up to 1 mile is doable. they have some history at Phoenix and Pikes Peak I believe.

I think they'd make a good undercard myself. We've got to get the weekends to the point where all of the races are on the same day though. Running the Pro Series cars at Gateway on a Saturday is proof enough for me. Not only were the ticket buying fans who will come today shorted a race but the teams are just getting killed. How would you like to sell sponsors on those crowds with the TV package they have? I've talked to many of these owners and they would love nothing better than to be able to hire drivers but they cannot sell sponsors on the program as it stands.

Just one request though if they run these cars on ovals - someone please design some sidepods for them! They look like an hourglass right now with so little material in the sidepod areas.
                      Dan Schlosser
                      Go fast, turn left !
                      www.tracksideonline.com

"Count all your blessings, just don't keep score...."
                      Mark "Hoot" Marchetti

Comment

If they also do some combo shows with sprints and midgets on the 3/4 and 1/2 mile paved ovals it could easily be a step on the the "Road to Indy."

IIrc, they were on the 1/3 mile at Bakersfield's Mesa Marin a few years back.
                        "You have not converted a man because you have silenced him."
                        -John Morley

Comment

You guys need to keep in mind the Mazda Star series is for "low" skill level drivers. Those cars are way to slow to be a good feeder series for the IPS. The Star cars are delivered and prep'ed by the series. Most of the drivers are a bunch of Walter Mittys. But because the cars are as equal as they can get its easy to see the drivers with any real skill. They did run at LVMS on the same card with IndyCars and it was fun watching them on that 1.5 mile track but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them.

A series similar in HP and size to Toyota Atlantics would do a much better job of becoming an IndyCar feeder below the IPS. The only purpose of such a series would be to provide a means for young drivers to gain rear engine aero driving skill on the same ovals as the IPS and IndyCar racing. It would be a means of getting young American short track drivers on the road to IndyCar racing, to identify and retain the next young Jeff Gordon.

Comment

Dan, I think you might be right. At least they had 30 something cars, not 11. But as Vegasduo pointed out, they are a bit down on power. Of course, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to slap something in with some power.

And I've taken a lot of heat for supposedly NOT supporting the IPS series. But all I see is a LOT of wishful thinking on the part of a very few and LOTS more complaints about the things this series is lacking. There is virtually ZERO promotion for this series. Only us diehards know a thing about them. They have completed their first full year and they started 11 yesterday. If that's not enough to make you think they cost too much, what does it take?

The quality of the drivers is quesionable. First we've got AJIV. Dominant last year, moves up and so far has not made many favorable impressions. One of our road racing fans pointed out that Dave Steele, who nobody in their right mind and the least bit aware would disagree that he is not a VERY GOOD driver, has a less than stellar performance in an IPS car that had a reputation for not handling well and he is ready to mark him off the list. Never mind that Dave already has real IRL experience and did a good job at the time. On the other end we've got Brandon Irwin. He's local, so I am a fan. But I've seen him run locally. He's nothing more than a midpack sprint car driver on a local level. He couldn't carry Dave Steele's helmet bag, but I've seen several posts about how well he is doing in the IPS. Now, he's young and may someday be a great driver, but right now he is not even in the top 200, maybe even 500 as a sprint car driver. I don't know why, but I don't get the feeling that the IPS is doing much in the way of preparing the drivers of the future IRL.

And I asked this question the other day in another thread and didn't get an answer, so I'd like to ask it again. What does a series that only has 2/3 of a field in almost all of their races need with a feeder series to train drivers for the future. There are many already quallified IRL drivers looking for rides. The problem isn't a lack of qualified drivers! It's the lack of cars!

Vegas, if these drivers aren't good enough for the IPS, then what's that guy Moses doing in an IPS car?

Comment

Originally posted by vegasduo
                              The Star cars are delivered and prep'ed by the series.

That would be incorrect....

Molon Labe!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X