IRL Ladder series solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRL Ladder series solution?

I had a chance to print out the thread on why they USAC guys like JJ Yelly don't have IRL rides, as well as a few other racing articles to read while on the road during our recent family vacation to Nebraska and after them, I had a lot of time to think about it while passing the miles.

The IPS is supposed to be the last rung on the ladder to the IRL right? But... How many USAC'ers have made the step up?

The only one I can think of is Aaron Fike.

From what I understand it costs something like $750K to run an IPS team for a season, so it's probably something like a $1 Million to run a top notch operation.

I'd like to see Tony George reach into his coffers and pay for a full season ride in an IPS car for each of the USAC national champions (Midget, Sprints and Silver Crown).

CART does this sort of thing with Barber Dodge and Toyota Atlantic, so why not the IRL?

Ok... It would cost TG and/or the IRL $3 Mil, to do it, but.... They would have an automatic fan base of USAC short track fans ready to follow their stars onto the next step.

Now while they are at it, they should negotiate a contract with ESPN or ESPN2 to run the IPS races in their entirety, before or after the IRL races (like Toyota Atlantic and the old Indy Lights)

With the USAC boys running, I'd bet it would give the TV ratings a boost.

And... Since USAC and the IRL already have so many connections, why not adjust the various schedules for the 3 USAC national series so they don't conflict with the IPS events.

That way these champions could still run the short track events or even the whole schedule, while competing in the IPS.

Also....

Any IRL team that wants to field a multi-car operation must also field at least one IPS team. Didn't Indy Lights have a similar rule?

Heck if it costs someone like Ganassi or Penski $20 Mil, to run a two car IRL effort, what's another $1 Mil to do an IPS team too? Peanuts that's what....

If the USAC boys do well enough in the IPS, one would assume that the better IRL teams would recruit them, and we'd get to see the Yelly's, Steels, Drakes and Hines of the future compete against the foreign and American road race guys!

If the USAC'ers wash out, then at least they had a chance to run rear engine, winged, formula cars during their career! And at least the IPS would have a boost in fan interest.

What do y'all think?
    Last edited by Jay J; 08-09-2003, 10:44 AM.

Why not...

Comment

I actually agree with both ideas there. Good thinking Jay. Some will call it welfare, and it is, but it could work.
      "Why do we do this? Because we love it, don't want to be anywhere else but a race car. We will keep your legacy my friend. Racers race."

Tony Kanaan

Comment

I think it's a great idea. TG should be able to get some of the leagues sponsors to pony up some extra money to be on those cars. Or maybe USAC could work it into the their series sponsorships. If a company wanted to sponsor USAC's Midget series, they should pay an extra $mil to sponsor thier series champion in the IPS.
        "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
        Vice President, Marketing
        IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

Well however they do it, the IRL needs to do something to help the IPS. It isn't going to make it the way things are going right now. Too many bad drivers who have no business in a car and not enough quality teams right now. There may only be 11 or 12 cars left to run the last few races of the season.

Taylor has done well, but he should. He is on, by a long way, the best team in the IPS. There are only a couple of talented enough drivers who are capable of challenging Taylor. There are way too many Gary Peterson's and Tom Wood's in the series who are too old or not nearly talented enough (or both) to have a future in the IRL.

Until some IRL owners step up and start fielding a Pro Series team (like Panther, Hemelgarn and Foyt) have done or Roger Bailey figures out a way to drastically lower the costs, the IPS will be dead in the water. Just like Indy Lights was a few years ago. (who, ironically, many of the same owners helped kill).
          IRL 2009: "Cars you can't see, driven by drivers you have never heard of, on a network you don't get"

"I'd hire your grandmother, if she brought a budget"- Bankrupt Indy Car team owner Tyler Tadevic, to Curt Cavin in December, on the tough standards he looks for when "hiring" driver talent.

Comment

Tom Wood has done very well lately...Qualified second for this race...The rest I cant completely disagree with..
            To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 11 posts.

Molon Labe!

Comment

Sounds good except for your cost estimate. IIRC, that price might be accurate to start a new IPS team where a complete car is included. Once you have purchased the car and assuming no complete cars destroyed then engine rebuilds, tires, travel and such would not cost that amount for a season.

Comment

Originally posted by vegasduo
                Sounds good except for your cost estimate. IIRC, that price might be accurate to start a new IPS team where a complete car is included. Once you have purchased the car and assuming no complete cars destroyed then engine rebuilds, tires, travel and such would not cost that amount for a season.
                Even more reason then, for the IPS to get a little help in the tallent department!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X