IRL Drivers Outperform F1 Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRL Drivers Outperform F1 Drivers

During a weekend with Bernie, he had this to say about his F1 pilots, ""We have to stop taking and start to give back to the public," said Ecclestone. "Look at the people who sat in the grandstand in 95-degree heat. All they had to look at from F1 on the Sunday morning before the race was the drivers' parade. Twenty idiots on the truck chatting among themselves and not even acknowledging the crowd. They didn't bother to wave or anything. Well, if they don't in future, maybe we will have to fine them."

I know for a fact that IRL drivers are superior smilers and wavers.

(Tucking in my tee shirt and standing proud)
    "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Years ago at Indy, I remember some of the drivers waving during the parade laps.
    I'd like to see some of the same again, but with all the weaving and bedding of the brakes these days, they are probably too busy.
    ...---...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Chiszar
      Years ago at Indy, I remember some of the drivers waving during the parade laps.
      I'd like to see some of the same again, but with all the weaving and bedding of the brakes these days, they are probably too busy.
      Don't get too close to Dixon!

Comment

Alert the drivers to what is going to happen. Then the announcer as is done at a lot of short tracks, tells the fans to wave hats, programs, or what ever on the last parade lap. If the driver can, he will probably wave back.

Comment

As closed in as the driver is nowadays it's probably very difficult to wave.

At least in F1 they have the drivers parade around the track - why doesn't the IRL do it? Only a few people get to see them during driver intros.
          "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Chiszar
            Well, in this case, the parade lap BE is discussing is the one where they put all the F1 drivers on a big flatbed truck and drive them around the track so the fans can see them.
            "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Well,now that the USGP data has moved, this has made my following parade lap suggestion moot, but I will share it anyway.

Since the race is in the fall here in the Midwest, how about getting a nice John Deere to tow the flatbed? Put some hay on and let these F1 boys experience a little American tradition.

Schuey vs Juan in a hayfight. That would be entertainment.

Comment

At TMS they introduce the drivers individually after which they climb into the back of a ragtop or peekup and lap the track waving to the fans.

Scott Sharp always smiles, waves, and acts like a homecoming king in the hometown parade. (I hesitated to use the word "parade" for fear of getting the thread moved.)

"You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

IRL drivers can wave even at speed, saw Jaques Lazier, one time waving his fist at another driver at 220mph. That would indicate it could be done on a parade lap. But that truck deal with all of them in it together, I'm with Bernie, that really horrible. Fine them all Bernie!
                  sa

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MichaelP
                    [B]As closed in as the driver is nowadays it's probably very difficult to wave.

Yeah, but those guys dang sure get that arm up if they cross the finish line first!!
                    ...---...

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jeff Chiszar
                      [B]
                      Originally posted by MichaelP
                      As closed in as the driver is nowadays it's probably very difficult to wave.

Yeah, but those guys dang sure get that arm up if they cross the finish line first!!
                      At best they get a fist up. It's virtually impossible nowadays to get the whole fore-arm up to the elbow out, ala AJ Foyt in 1977.
                      "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X