Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Alcon calliper for the Indy Racing League

Ex Cart teams getting all the brakes.
    Pardon the pun in th link, but this isn't fair. When is this going to end. Parts like this should be available to ALL participants. Especially something as important as brakes. :mad:
    jZink

Seems like a waste of money to me.

Comment

sounds like they would sell to anyone, but maybe I missed something?

Comment

Nothing was stopping the other teams from going forward with thier own innovation. If they are not looking for ways to make their cars better within the rules, I will not feel sorry for them or think it is unfair
        "Remember, your kids can get student loans, but there's no such thing as a retirement loan."

Comment

If the exclusivity clause has expired , I would think anyone who wanted to spend the money could get 'em .
          “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
          I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
          I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

And apparently anyone that wanted call a DIFFERENT brake system developer would be free to do so.
            We flipped our finger to the King of England
            Stole our country from the Indians
            With god on our side and guns in our hands
            We took it for our own!

Comment

What's unfair? Penske paid for the development and it is now available to teams who want to spend the money on it. I see that a front running Nascar team is using the technology as well as others. This system is available to those who wish to pay for it and I'm sure that Penske has gone on to other developments.

I guess the league should make a rule that only approved parts be used to control the cost.
              SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
              " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Just another way to add costs to a sport that is already way overpriced in the market. How many fans does spending extra money on brakes put in the seats for an OVAL race?

The brakes ought to be spec'ed by the IRL. I mean if Honda & Toyota (don't kid yourself, for the fromer CART teams that is where the money is coming from) have the cash to throw around on exotic brakes for oval tracks, maybe Barnhart ought to be looking at making cheaper engine leases available?
                Last edited by AdamM; 08-07-2003, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Reminds me of a parable I learned a long time ago: Be very careful of what you ask for, because you will get it.

The exodous from CART has brought with it increased manufacturer control of the series, engine leases, and high $$ teams that will spend their way to competitive anvantage leaving the little guys outside looking in.

What have we really won??

Comment

"The MPA3200 is typically five times the cost of a conventional bias bar. However, Alcon is looking at ways of taking out cost. Productionising it will enable the company to cast or forge the bar rather than machine it from billet. Already the concept is being used in the European Touring Car Championship, Champ Car and by a front running NASCAR team."

Y'all miss that part?

"You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Paying five times as much money for a piece that allows the driver to brake a little later pulling into his pit box, and probably gaining 1 second at most. That's the sort of attention to detail that has these teams kicking butt, and the Foyts, Hemelgarns and D&Rs of the world wondering what happened to the series they used to be able to win in.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBob
                        . That's the sort of attention to detail that has these teams kicking butt, and the Foyts, Hemelgarns and D&Rs of the world wondering what happened to the series they used to be able to win in.
                        Foyt can't even manage the attention to detail to make sure the correct set-up is on the car before sending his Grandson out to hit the wall at Indy...Remember AJ saying "Well it's our fault, we didn't check to make sure the wing was set at the same angle as the piece it replaced....." or something pretty close.

If they can't manage that, the second lost or gained in the pits isn't going to mean diddly.

But then again, with Road Racing on the horizon, give Penske props for planning ahead.
                        Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Comment

Alcon claims that with the new system typical hysteresis levels of 15 to 20% can be reduced to less than 3%.
                          Sounds like something we need around here, smething that reduces "hysteresis" levels . . .

Much ado about little.

Personally I'd prefer a "spec" part, however brakes are an open area. Many teams have gone with improved brakes of several types.

As far as availability - this is an open area - I do not believe team developed parts are required to be made available to other teams for these areas

Comment

Good brakes will pay dividends this weekend.

When the roadraces come into play they will a huge factor.

Go big or stay at home time.
                            "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by AdamM
                              Just another way to add costs to a sport that is already way overpriced in the market. How many fans does spending extra money on brakes put in the seats for an OVAL race?

The brakes ought to be spec'ed by the IRL. I mean if Honda & Toyota (don't kid yourself, for the fromer CART teams that is where the money is coming from) have the cash to throw around on exotic brakes for oval tracks, maybe Barnhart ought to be looking at making cheaper engine leases available?

Aloha Adam M,,,,

Bingo,,, Leave it to the Captain, he's a flocking genius, but always remember, just back out of the office door, if you ever have any meeting with him..

Never Turn You Back on the Ocean, or the Captain...

He is so smart, if there has ever been anything unfair, not even, in Indy Car Racing,,, it's the "Captain's Brilliance", and then on top of that, he has the uncanny ability to "Excute"...

What a Visionary, he is just unfair competition.... There's Penske, and then,,, no not the rest,,, they an't even on the same page, or in the same book...

There is Penske,,, and then there is JC, Buddha, and Allah...

The man is just, smart...
                              Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X