Differences in feeder series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in feeder series?

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this, and it may end up somewhere else, but I get confused watching the various ladder series/formula and was wondering if anyone could clarify, or point to a resource that would clarify the differences between the following:

USF2000
    Toyota Atlantics
    Barber Dodge
    Indy Lights
    Star Mazda

Apart from the fact that none of them, like the IPS, is all-oval, what distinguishes them from one another, and what "ladder" are they a part of? I'm particularly intereted in how USF2000 fits in the scheme of things, as it has sent a number of good drivers to the IRL/IPS ranks, and seems to have run on more ovals that the other series.

USF2000-Is an open wheel series that run primarily run on road courses with American LaMans and also CART. It is sanctioned by SCCA Pro Racing Formula Ford 2000

Barbar Dodge and Toyota Atlantics are in the CART Ladder system. Barbar Dodge to Toyota Atlantic to CART. Toyota Atlantic Barbar Dodge

Indy Lights, IIRC is defunct and was shut down by CART to consolodate TA and Indy Lights into ine series

Mazda Star series is sanctioned by IMSA and runs with NASCAR, IMSA and CART.

Star Mazda
    "Remember, your kids can get student loans, but there's no such thing as a retirement loan."

Comment

Wasn't USF2000 sanctioned by USAC just a few years ago?
      If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

Comment

Originally posted by richie
        Wasn't USF2000 sanctioned by USAC just a few years ago?

They ran at IRP. Also on the ovals at Charlotte and Atlanta and WDW, and had an "Oval Crown championship" separate from the overall F2000 title. That's why I was curious. They seem to have some kind of tie-in to oval racing heritage in the US.

Comment

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...guide.html#IRL

This page tells a lot about various cars used, but is a little out of date, I'm afraid.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by stymie
            Indy Lights, IIRC is defunct and was shut down by CART to consolodate TA and Indy Lights into one series.
            Yes, Indy Lights were killed by Jargon Joe(Indy Lights won't die on my watch) Heitzler.

Comment

You might say that the Indy lights tradition is now in the IPS cars. Roger Bailey was the director of IL and now in charge of IPS.
              I've got sources. I used to know a T-Shirt vendor at the Phoenix track.

Comment

Originally posted by stymie

Barbar Dodge to Toyota Atlantic to CART.
                That ladder worked like a charm for Dismore...

Comment

It worked pretty good for DaMatta, Castroneves, Kannan, et al.

Comment

FF2000 is running two races at Mid Ohio this weekend.

Barber Dodge Pro and Formula Toyota Atlantics one each.

should be some great racing.

The last time I saw Star Mazda was down at Sebring a couple years ago, not bad racing. The spec chassis is somewhat outdated.

The last Indy Lights show I saw was at Fontana where they put on about the best pack-racing I have ever seen. I always wondered why so many of the fans of wheel to wheel racing never embraced that series.
                    "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by MoparsRule
                      That ladder worked like a charm for Dismore...
                      What was Dismore's age when he won it?

Tearing himself up at Indy in 1991 probably didn't help either.
                      http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Railbird
                        The last Indy Lights show I saw was at Fontana where they put on about the best pack-racing I have ever seen. I always wondered why so many of the fans of wheel to wheel racing never embraced that series.
                        I always made it a point to catch the Indy Lights on the tube when they ran on oval tracks. I felt they put on a better race than the CART cars on ovals. Tracks such as Fontana was some of the best and most enjoyable racing for the lights.

Joe made his now famous "Indy Lights won't die on my watch" statement then promptly killed the lights.

Comment

Re: Differences in feeder series?

Originally posted by Brent_the_Lazier_fan
                          I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this, and it may end up somewhere else, but I get confused watching the various ladder series/formula and was wondering if anyone could clarify, or point to a resource that would clarify the differences between the following:

USF2000
                          Toyota Atlantics
                          Barber Dodge
                          Indy Lights
                          Star Mazda

Apart from the fact that none of them, like the IPS, is all-oval, what distinguishes them from one another, and what "ladder" are they a part of? I'm particularly intereted in how USF2000 fits in the scheme of things, as it has sent a number of good drivers to the IRL/IPS ranks, and seems to have run on more ovals that the other series.

Aloha Lazier Fan Man,,,

I am going to give you a Bingo Award for that question,,,,

I too am confused, but I never cared much before... Some call it myopic vision, tunnel vision, or what some might call a monochromatic mind... Kind of like my enjoyement of the Seven Pools, at this point in my life, no more Blue Eye'd Blondes for me... But some of those series, put on great shows... Granted not like Eldora, but good just the same...

I watched a show on Speed, "The New Rookies", or something like that.... Wow,,, there is a ton of young talent in CART right now,,, and I mean a ton.... Makes the IPS deal look like it should be located on Isle five, at the local "Kid R Us" store... Isle 5,,, that's the Isle, that the " Baby Strollers" are located on... These new guys are giving it, to Junkie and Paul, each weekend CART runs now... Some of these "Rookies" are giving them two, all they can handle... And most of them came up from one of these series, that you asked about...

That is, or will be one of the "crying shames",,, if CART folds... If you get a chance, watch them Mazda Starr Series,,, wow,,, great car control, on the gas, and just going for it, the full race, from the drop of the green, to the checkers....

A Big Bingo to Stymie,,, also,,, for all the information, you provided... Bingo Buddie...

I wish someone would post the engine size and wheel base... I am just to lazy, and dumb to look it all up, at this time...

The IPS should go road racing, not the IRL... Use all spec IPS cars, more HP, Paddle Shifters, better brakes, smaller, duel fuel, but all spec, especially the engine, and cheap too..

And then like the Busch Wackers, have the Big Time Drivers run on the Road Courses, but they can only cross over and drive the IPS cars, on the Road Courses... Maybe let the "new" IRL "Rookies" run the ovals, on the duel weekend shows, to get a little more experance...

But for the "most part" let the "Rookies" run on the ovals, especially on duel weekend shows... But have a time limit the IRL rated drivers can run on the ovals.... Like maybe two years max, after you have a full time IRL ride... Then leave it all for the rookies... But all spec, like CART is today, but only a lot smaller car, but more HP than the IPS cars have now, and one spec engine... Maybe even smaller tires, but for sure less down force, and speed than an IRL car... But cheap,,,

If you want to win at this game, you've got to get the cost down to less than two hundred thousand, and that's with a full tank of fuel, ready to run... That's the only way you are going to get the best talent, and not the best check book...

Tony should or could "Badge the Engine" ,,, call it,,,"The Indy IPS Spec Racing Engine"....

Some generic name... Some bullet proof engine, capbable of 600 HP+, and then run the cars with less down force....Or you could let each team "Badge the Indy Generic Spec Engine".... Call them Toyotas, Hondos, Chevies, Fords,,, Cozzie's,,, but just don't call the "Big Johnsons", leave that for the IRL cars... Who cares, it's the show, and talent that counts...

Edit: A Big Bingo, to Da Bird,,, Randy,,, Indy Motor Man, "The Gen 5 of Motor Men",,, Monkey Man,,, Cringi,,, and Mr. Vessco Man, all great info....
                          Last edited by BigWheelHawaii; 08-07-2003, 06:43 PM.
                          Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Railbird
                            The last time I saw Star Mazda was down at Sebring a couple years ago, not bad racing. The spec chassis is somewhat outdated.
                            Not for long...New Cars
                            Preserving America's oval track tradition:
                            1.New Hampshire, 2.Charlotte, 3.Dover, 4.Disney World, 5.Las Vegas, 6.Atlanta, 7.Gateway, 8.Nazereth, 9.Phoenix, 10.Fontana, 11.Pikes Peak, 12.Michigan.

Comment

Not for long

cool

thanks for the link cmjc80.
                              "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X