Saw John Barnes Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw John Barnes Sunday

-for those who don't know, Panther Racing owner.

He was WALKING (not trying to run over the masses with his golf cart) through the infield, with a lovely looking lady on his arm.

John seemed like a nice guy, a regular guy who was approachable. Sounded like he was just enjoying a day at the track like a race fan.

I really wish more IRL owners were like John Barnes, at least from my encounter.
    "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

John is a very big man that gives the impression that he is very hard to approach. The fact is that I have found him very helpful and willing to answer any question I have asked of him.

Comment

The drivers often get all the credit for being fan friendly, but I have always found John Barnes to always be fan friendly.

I believe it was the first Atlanta race, but after the race, John picked my five year old son up and sat him in Scott Goodyear's race car as he did for several children.

Comment

I think the first year the IRL ran at Gateway me and a couple of friends ran into John at a Mexican restaurant and he had mentioned how he hadn't seen us at the track that day. We just mentioned how we couldn't get in the garage/pit area because they weren't selling pit passes. He told us to stop by his motel the next morning and there were 3 credentials waiting on us at the front desk. He also asked about the Chicago race and my friend and I ended up picking up credentials at their race shop and even got a tour of the place from the receptionist. They went way above the call of duty.
        i WAKE UP FOR MAY!

Comment

Ever since I read A Month at the Brickyard (anybody remember that one?) I have been a John Barnes fan. All the guys in the Vatis team were extraordinary, of course, but he came off as a guy who you not only wanted to work on your car, you wanted to hang with him too. Ever since, whenever I've had a fantasy team he was always the crew chief. That he's now one of the owners of the two time and defending IRL champs is not only fitting, it's justice.
          You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Is that a book, or a news story?
            One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

All the Panther guys seem like a first class group from the little interaction I have had with them. They are a credit to the IRL.

Is it May yet ?

Comment

A Month at the Brickyard

Originally posted by BlueStang
                Is that a book, or a news story?
                It's a 1977 book by Sonny Kleinfield, who was a 26-year-old Wall Street Journal reporter at the time. ISBN 0-03-017711-1. There are two B/W shots of John with both Vatis cars.

Comment

Re: A Month at the Brickyard

Originally posted by theunions
                  It's a 1977 book by Sonny Kleinfield, who was a 26-year-old Wall Street Journal reporter at the time. ISBN 0-03-017711-1. There are two B/W shots of John with both Vatis cars.
                  Keep an eye out on ebay and you'll probably find a copy for a fairly resonable price.
                  "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

Does anyone remember the book "The Indy 500: Thirty Days In May"? Written by Hal Higdon?

Swear to God...that book was actually one of our assignments when I was in 6th grade. We had to read it and give a book report on it. It made SUCH an impression on me that I found one on e-bay and purchased it. It's in MINT CONDITION too and I paid more in shipping than I did for the book but at least I've got it in my library now.
                    But that's just my opinion!

Comment

Aloha 99 Man,,,

After reading the posts on John, or about John, and the contact people have had with John, that's what or how " Legends are Born"...... And the Speedway has had "Her" fair share of "Legends", drivers, owners, and even fans...

This is what it is going to take, to "grow" the league.... It's all about the people, "Entertainment", and what make us feel good... And it sounds like John made you feel good... And that is good...

Great Bunch of Posts,,,, and the story of the pit passes,,, that was just Great...

It's all about the "Connection"...
                      Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Anyone not had a good experience with Roger Penske or Dennis Reinbold? I've observed both of them being very friendly with the fans on numerous occasions. I've seen Reinbold let people have their pictures taken sitting in the car prior to gridding the cars.

Comment

I have never encountered Dennis Reinbold nor the Captain.

However, I have found the Captain's people to be extremely professional, almost corporate like in their dealings with fans. Always polite, but very mechanical in nature, and I can't say I felt a passion for the sport. Just a feeling of course. I think the Captain's people are the utmost professionals because that's what he demands, but I never thought of them as acting like regular people.

I get the impression that not only is John Barnes a good guy, but deep down, a racer as well.

The IRL needs more people like this.
                          "For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air, we all cherish our children's future, and we are all mortal".

John Kennedy at American University 1963

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

A. Lincoln

Comment

Only time I spoke to John Barnes he was a grumpy g*t

Comment

John always has the time to say Hello every time I see him, Dennis Reinbold is without the best owner in Racing bar none
                              If it weren't for the United States military,
                              there'd be NO United States of America.

Your son is depriving a village some where of an 'idiot'

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X