Why didn't T.G.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't T.G.?

With those NASCAR fans waiting for the late starting BY 400 to get under way, why didn't TG fire up a couple of IRL cars and make a few laps to create some interest?
    http://www.ricklanemotorsportsphotography.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/thethirdturnsociety

you don't **** off a paying customer is why.

Comment

Even though it is his track, I'm sure Nascar has the final say on what can and can't be run over the course of the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by misbehavin
        you don't **** off a paying customer is why.

....huh?!
        ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by TM1511
          Even though it is his track, I'm sure Nascar has the final say on what can and can't be run over the course of the weekend.
          CORRECT! NASCAR had tight control over everything.
          Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Originally posted by PHJIndy
            CORRECT! NASCAR had tight control over everything.
            Yet, I recall NASCAR allowing IRL cars to do demo runs before.

This one's on Tony.
            "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

...yup, Tony's fault.

It's not like this was the 2nd biggest race of the NASCAR season and at Tony's track.

I'm sure he wasn't too busy with NASCAR people, the 10th anniversary of the Brickyard 400, the media surrounding the event in addition to everything on his plate with the IRL to think about parading a couple of IRL cars around the track. Especially seeing that it is Indy, and probably a good portion of the BY 400 crowd already attends the Indy 500 anyway.

Then there's the argument people have with trying to confuse the two events.

Sheeez, some people are just never happy.
              ​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by indyracefan
                ...yup, Tony's fault.

It's not like this was the 2nd biggest race of the NASCAR season and at Tony's track.

I'm sure he wasn't too busy with NASCAR people, the 10th anniversary of the Brickyard 400, the media surrounding the event in addition to everything on his plate with the IRL to think about parading a couple of IRL cars around the track. Especially seeing that it is Indy, and probably a good portion of the BY 400 crowd already attends the Indy 500 anyway.

Then there's the argument people have with trying to confuse the two events.

Sheeez, some people are just never happy.
                That wasn't my point. My point was this - the typical "NASCAR is evil" conspiracy theory was floated above. Yet, NASCAR has had IRL cars do demo runs at other, ISC-owned tracks, prior to Cup races. Therefore, given that TG owns both the IRL and IMS, and given that NASCAR (by their past actions) has no problems with demo runs, it's reasonable to conclude that the decision not to do a demo was primarily Tony George's. Or, Tony George never thought to do one in the first place.
                "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

I think the IRL demo's that were done (i can think of two) before Nascar races were on tracks like Richmond and maybe Nashville a few months before the IRL was racing there for the first time.

I heard the Richmond crowd was blown away, which may explain why that race is doing so well.

Comment

Interesting concept but I have to wonder. Are the people in the stands mostly people from Indy that also go to the 500 or is there enough "new blood" that having an exhibition would do some good?

In my group, we all live in Indy and go to the 500. But I also entertained 8 people from Minnesota and only one of them had been to the 500 before.

Comment

Demo before the NASCAR race? If you can teach the NASCAR guys not to block, put the IRL car out during the race to demo the speed difference. Then watch the pit stops begin for a change of underwear.
                      "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
                        That wasn't my point. My point was this - the typical "NASCAR is evil" conspiracy theory was floated above. Yet, NASCAR has had IRL cars do demo runs at other, ISC-owned tracks, prior to Cup races. Therefore, given that TG owns both the IRL and IMS, and given that NASCAR (by their past actions) has no problems with demo runs, it's reasonable to conclude that the decision not to do a demo was primarily Tony George's. Or, Tony George never thought to do one in the first place.
                        If you start using your other events at IMS to promote the Indy 500, you're admitting that you need help promoting the Indy 500 - which would be a sign of weakness. They're not good at admitting weakness at 16th & Georgetown.

Did they promote the F1 race?

They could have just replayed that clip of Jeff Gordon driving the FW24, and gushing over it... repeatedly....
                        http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch
                          If you start using your other events at IMS to promote the Indy 500, you're admitting that you need help promoting the Indy 500 - which would be a sign of weakness.
                          Then use it to promote, say, the Kentucky race...
                          No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Sadly, the IRL can't, or won't, adequately promote itself. That is the biggest waste of a great product I have ever seen in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Defender
                              Sadly, the IRL can't, or won't, adequately promote itself. That is the biggest waste of a great product I have ever seen in my life.
                              They don't know how.
                              Really...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X