IRL not pursuing road courses...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRL not pursuing road courses...

Every story I read about the IRL and road/street courses sound about the same.

As for speculation IRL will take CART's place on the Mid-Ohio schedule, Trueman Gajoch said she hasn't talked to IRL's Tony George and any other IRL official.

"I have no doubt they are going to go road racing. We have made no plans to go road racing with the IRL," she said.

Does she expect to get a phone call from Indianapolis next Monday?

"No, that's not his style," she said.
    This portion taken from the Mansfield News Journal.

So those who claim TG is out to undermine CART by securing some of its courses seem to be mistaken. It seems, and these promoters all sing the same song, that TG is just preparing to pick up a few of the choice pieces should CART cease or reduce its schedule (read the full article and others at that web site).
    Griz In Indy

Re: IRL not pursuing road courses...

Originally posted by Griz
    that TG is just preparing to pick up a few of the choice pieces should CART cease or reduce its schedule (read the full article and others at that web site).
    Absolutely...no question that's what may be occurring.

BUT...some are a bit disillusioned but the mere thought of street or road racing in the IRL. That's the big issue, I think, for most.

Comment

It should be ALMS picking up CART's slack, not IMS.
      "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP
        It should be ALMS picking up CART's slack, not IMS.
        Why?
        Why shouldn't the IRL encompass everything?
        ?
        Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by BSJracing
          Why?
          ?
          Because by trying to encompass everything you become excellent at nothing.
          By the time you finish reading this you realize that you have wasted 5 seconds of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by n-turbo
            Don't tell that to Honda
            Motorcycles, generators, cars, outboard boat motors, etc.

or Yamaha
            Motorcycles, audio components, musical instruments, outboard motors.
            I've got sources. I used to know a T-Shirt vendor at the Phoenix track.

Comment

"...some are a bit disillusioned but the mere thought of street or road racing in the IRL."

An understatement...

Comment

Tony is positioning himself, as a business man it's a good move to give himself options.
                A book fell on my head, and I only have my shelf to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by BSJracing
                  Why?
                  ?
                  Maybe they could add a drag race or two... and some BMX events... maybe a chili cook off, too.

Why MUST the IRL encompass everything?

I agree with Michael in that I'd like to see ALMS get a boost rather than see the IRL water down its oval identity. Personally, I'd just as soon see CART survive and thrive as a road course series.
                  Dave Steele Rocks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hdolan
                    "...some are a bit disillusioned but the mere thought of street or road racing in the IRL."

An understatement...

Aloha Howard,,,

You are funny,,, that was one of the Big Ones....

Bingo Award for Humor,,,,

Two words, but right to the heart.... LOL
                    Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

Aloha Turbo Man,,,,

And a Bingo for you too....

Makes sense to me,,,
                      Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

If IRL is going street racing, they should consider finding a market where CART hasn't touched such as NYC, Washington DC, streets of Los Angeles, or streets of San Francisco. Don't worry about racing at tracks where CART currently runs. It'll be a good way of picking up some new fans as well as distancing themselves from CART.

Comment

I really think the best way to build a strong OW foundation is:

1) Just one OW series. Two series splits media attention and sponsorship money. CART is in shambles - time to give it up.
                          2) Expand beyond ovals. Various courses is the single unique feature about CART. Road/Street courses can expand the base of fans - believe it or not, many are turned off by just ovals. (Not me, but I'd stomach a few.) Drivers and sponsors would agree. Also, there are a few potential non-oval financial gems.

We can shout "No Right Turns" all we want and flood IRL offices with junk e-mails saying the same thing, but the addition of a few right turns can only help struggling OW racing. I like to sound of 75% of the races being on ovals. We can deal with a few, can't we? Some day 20 ovals, five street/road? We'll live!

Is Mid-Ohio getting a call from TG? Probably not, unless Honda pushes it. From Central Ohio, one can attend Indy, Michigan, and Kentucky all within a three hour drive.

Comment

Originally posted by BigWheelHawaii
                            Aloha Turbo Man,,,,

And a Bingo for you too....

Makes sense to me,,,
                            Aloha BWH.

I was thinking N-Turbo should get bingoed for that sage advice.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X