Road racing in addition to, not in place of, ovals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road racing in addition to, not in place of, ovals

I'm not a huge fan of road and street courses, but it appears to me that the IRL is looking to run a few non-oval races in addition to the oval schedule, not in place of other ovals.

If I have a choice between 18 oval events or 18 ovals plus 4 road courses, I'll choose the one with more racing any day, as long as the oval races aren't compromised.

I'm saddened that some race "fans" are angry about more racing.
    No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Re: Road racing in addition to, not in place of, ovals

Originally posted by Ren Butler

It's because we know the road to Indy is a lie.

The only link to the short tracks right now is Sarah Fisher. You add 4 road races to the IRL and that door will be forever slammed shut to the short tracker.

At least that's my opinion.
    I would think by now that this administration would have a clue as to what it takes to get the job done. So, Get-er-done!!!!!

Comment

Re: Re: Road racing in addition to, not in place of, ovals

Originally posted by MicroRacer

The only link to the short tracks right now is Sarah Fisher. You add 4 road races to the IRL and that door will be forever slammed shut to the short tracker.

Excatly. And since "most of the driver and owners are in favor of road courses" how long will it be "only four RR's". :mad: Ovals Only!
      "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

We've seen this movie before, Ren.

The faces have changed, but the acting technique and plot line is the same.
        "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

Before you get all worked up over the IRL adding road/street courses to their schedule. Try answering the following while dealing in reality. Why will these proposed road/street courses become profitable under IRL sanctioning when they aren't under CART?
          I wish I knew - Dennis "Cutty" Wise

When its game time, it's pain time! - Terrible Terry Tate

Comment

Originally posted by don7031
            Before you get all worked up over the IRL adding road/street courses to their schedule. Try answering the following while dealing in reality. Why will these proposed road/street courses become profitable under IRL sanctioning when they aren't under CART?
            To be quite honest, I do believe that CART makes money at their race venues. It's just that CART is loosing money supporting their race teams since their race teams can't support themselves through sponsorship.
            I would think by now that this administration would have a clue as to what it takes to get the job done. So, Get-er-done!!!!!

Comment

Re: Re: Road racing in addition to, not in place of, ovals

Originally posted by MicroRacer

Yes, just like it was in NASCAR. They added road races, and now those USAC guys... you know, the ones the all-oval IRL aren't keeping "at home" now... just can't get a ride over there.
              One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Road racing in addition to, not in place of, ovals

Originally posted by BlueStang
                Yes, just like it was in NASCAR. They added road races, and now those USAC guys... you know, the ones the all-oval IRL aren't keeping "at home" now... just can't get a ride over there.
                In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the guys with the USAC background seem to do pretty well on the NASCAR RRs

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Road racing in addition to, not in place of, ovals

Originally posted by BlueStang
                  NASCAR owners look to USAC for the next Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman, but he IRL owners look everywhere but USAC to fill their seats.

Comment

We've seen this movie before, Ren.

The faces have changed, but the acting technique and plot line is the same.
                    Yep, RW it’s like a Twilight Zone episode.

If I told you back a few years ago that the leader of an open wheel series was complaining about having to go road & street racing because there aren’t enough oval tracks to run on and that same series featured factory sealed engines, big dollar leasing programs and fewer and fewer US drivers, you’d swear I was talking about CART circa 1994 & 95.

Comment

Short tracker, long tracker, left and right tracker. Get over it, either the driver has talent and ability or he doesn't.
                      Bottom line....... nobody "deserves a ride"
                      I've got sources. I used to know a T-Shirt vendor at the Phoenix track.

Comment

[
                        I'm saddened that some race "fans" are angry about more racing. [/B]

That is fine - you can be sad. I will
                        be very mad. The IRL has one tenet
                        of its original philosophy left - an
                        ALL OVAL RACING SERIES. When
                        that goes, this fan goes. Period.

Seriously folks, there are several of us
                        hoping that the Panther team adds a
                        second car and that one of those drivers
                        will be the likes of Dave Steele. When you
                        start adding RCs - even just 2 or 3 out
                        of an 18 - 19 race schedule, then you
                        can kiss ANY chance of a driver like
                        that ever getting another opportunity in
                        the IRL. Then we are exactly back where
                        we were when Jeff Gordon couldn't get
                        a ride. We are almost there again now.
                        Yeley will be off to the NASCAR ranks
                        next year (via the his FORD contract).
                        Who is next. As long as NASCAR keeps
                        getting the best American talent, you can
                        kiss the long-term growth of the IRL
                        goodbye, no matter how good the on
                        track performance is.

Comment

There's the "all oval" myth again. The IRL was formed to preserve the heritage of oval racing, and there's no doubt that has been accomplished.

There's no reason the USAC guys can't run the ovals only (including the BIG oval), and either tread water on the road courses or actually learn how to turn left a couple times per season.

You doomsayers sound no different than the people who predicted a quick demise for the IRL in 1996...
                          No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

“Typically, the road racing fan is different from the oval racing fan," said Bruggentheis. "Road America really enjoys a tremendous base of road racing fans because we have so much history. I haven’t thought about it. I’m not in negotiations with the IRL, and I don’t think the IRL is going road racing next year. Everything I’ve read says ’05 – they have a bit more development work to do on their gearbox. Certainly, if they become a major open-wheel road racing series, we’ll consider it. Whatever the fans want."

The word from the head of Road America. Note the "if they become a major open-wheel road racing series". Two or even four road races won't make the IRL a major road racing series. All it will do is insure that the IRL never sees another short tracker and pizz off a lot of fans without gaining any.
                            Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler
                              If the venue is Toronto, Detroit or Long beach then we aren't adding more racing.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X