Emerson Indy 250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emerson Indy 250?

When did the Gateway race become the Emerson Indy 250?
    Zoooooooooooom!

I guess Fittipaldi has buried his hatchet?

Comment

New this year. I believe they have at least a portion of their headquarters in the area - Emerson Electronics, EPT, etc.

I wonder if they purchased the TV package or just the on site sponsorship. If you catch a promo of the race on the mouse family of networks, listen to whether it is called the Gateway xxx or the Emerson 250.

I believe two years ago, the TV naming would have be $50k for billboards and naming, $100k would have bought the full deal w/spots. Could have bought the whole thing -- on site and tv -- for a relative song. Man, that brings back some painful memories...bartender!!!

Comment

Saw ESPN2's rpm2night promoing the Emerson Indy 250 this evening. Guess that answers that.
        "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

I believe that Emerson Fittipaldi negotiated a deal between the IRL, the track management, and the city of St. Louis to keep this great race on the schedule. In thanks, the management decided to name the race the Emerson Fittipaldi Indy 250. Unfortunately, the sign wasn't long enough, so it was shortened to just the Emerson Indy 250.
          We all owe a great debt of thanks to Emerson for taking the time to put away his orange juice and tackle this tough negotiations for our benifit.
          Thanks, Emo!
          P.S. Emo wants to know who Christian's driving for. He can't remember.
          "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

Emerson is a huge conglomerate based in St. Louis. They started in business around the turn of the century. Sales in 2002 were $13.8 billion. From their website:

Emerson (NYSE: EMR) brings technology and engineering together to provide innovative solutions to customers in industrial automation; process control; heating, ventilating and air conditioning; electronic and telecommunications; and appliance and tools.

http://www.gotoemerson.com/index.jsp

Comment

rrrr..you are exactly right. Emerson (specifically Emerson Electric) is a huge corporation in St. Louis and I am thrilled that they sponsored the race!!

Comment

They have a couple of 'plants' here in Indiana under the name of Emererson Power Transmissions (EPT). There are a couple of places here in Valpo and one near Monticello. Make parts for helicopter engines I believe.

From the "It's a Small World" file, one of their Valpo facilities is about a block from one of TWR's old garages. Used to park an old Bud Light sponsored Jag maybe?

Comment

Oh and by the way, Kudos to Emerson for stepping up for the whole package. Just looks/sounds a lot better to have tv and IRL calling the race the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by toonces2
                    Oh and by the way, Kudos to Emerson for stepping up for the whole package. Just looks/sounds a lot better to have tv and IRL calling the race the same thing.
                    And despite the opportunity for those that live for the chance to make this distinction....

This is the first race I recall in quite some time where the title sponsor has paid the television dough as well.

Nice stuff.

Comment

Firestone has been buying the whole package for the races they've sponsored.
                      We flipped our finger to the King of England
                      Stole our country from the Indians
                      With god on our side and guns in our hands
                      We took it for our own!

Comment

Originally posted by step33T
                        Firestone has been buying the whole package for the races they've sponsored.
                        Huh, guess I haven't been paying attention. I'm used to seeing Firestone commercials and so on, that detail passed me by...

Comment

Is this the same Emerson that used to sponsor Bignotti/Cotter and Roberto Guerrero? Or is the consumer electronics bunch a whole different outfit?

In either case, it's great to have them in the fold. I'm among the "keep Gateway" contingent, and I hope the local sponsorship helps.
                          You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

I recently bought a 27" flat screen television from Emerson for only $250. I like it!

For the Gateway race, wouldn't the logical sponsor choice be Gateway Computers.
                            If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

Comment

I could be mistaken, but I think the Emerson that makes consumer electronics used to be part of St. Louis Emerson, but was spun off and is now owned by either Sanyo or one of the Korean conglomerates.
                              "Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob." - Federalist 55
                              “My first reaction as a race car driver was to jump out of the car and use the Foyt technique of driver development - grab him and pound some sense into him.”
                              "Make way. I'm Reaganing."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X