Helio lost his trademark - i.e. new Indy tradition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helio lost his trademark - i.e. new Indy tradition

After just missing seeing the race due to work, I did get a chance to see all the post race broadcasting. One thing I noticed was that the #29 Goodwrench crew climbed the fence after the race. Looks like if this continues, it'll be a new continuing tradition for both races. In some ways, I'm glad there's something new that was added, but I'm saddened because it won't be the same.

First Gil, then Kevin. Will it continue?

Any thoughts?
    He kani 'ano 'e loa kela. Ua 'ai nui anei 'oe ma ke kakahiaka?

I recall Jeff Burton did it after winning the 600 in 2001 and I also saw Frank Kimmel and his brave crew do it...

Comment

Elio needs to win so he can re-claim ownership.

Comment

It's everyone's now. I just hope the burnout doesn't become the norm, but that is just my feeling.
        "Freedom, just around the corner from you,
        With truth so far off what good would it do?"

Bob Dylan- "Jokerman"

Comment

Yeah climbing the fence seems to happen now whoever wins the Indy 500, Coca-Cola 600, or Brickyad 400.
          Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

Comment

I'm just waiting for the first "crew bubba", regardless of which series he's from, to climb half way up and fall right on his pitard. Someone, someday in their unbridled celebratory exhibition will end up getting hurt. Hopefully not badly. But you know they will end up on National T.V. (with either 4.6 million fans watching or 9.7 million fans watching ) and they will never live it down.

Here's to winner's celebrations. [raising of the glass]

jmart

Comment

I'd say stay off the fence and forget the burnouts. Nice way to tear up the car owner's investment. Blown motors and torn up bodies. Cover thew fans with so much tire smoke, they can't even see the track. At one time these were spontaneous acts. Now they are only done because everyone's doing it. They have become as stupid as the wave! Time to grow up. JMHO. Call me a spoil sport if you like.
              "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

I don't mind if the fence-climbing becomes a tradition at the Indy 500 only, other than when Helio wins at other tracks. I don't think Helio would mind it either. It would give the IRL a unique trademark happening that they can associate their name with. I don't care if the drivers at local tracks do it, but when NASCAR drivers do it, it kinda loses its charm.
                If I were Ed Carpenter and you were a lady...

Comment

And they claim we are trying to copy them.

Tj
                  Sam Hornish Jr. 2006 Indianapolis 500 and IRL Champion. :D

Comment

Yeah. I'm ticked at all these pretenders that have been spraying champagne all over the place any time they win a race.

Dan Gurney started that one at Le Mans.
                    "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

How about the Indy 500 crews also kissing the bricks? I don't think they do that. Will they start to copy what the NASCAR winners do?

And how about that NFL tradition of the ice dump on the coach? When is the team owner going to get one of these?
                      Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

I'm waiting for someone to do a smokeshow the whole 5/8 mile at IMS. I don't care whether you like burnouts or not, doing it from turn 4 to turn 1 would be a pretty impressive sight.
                        "I kill for the code to disarm this mess..."

Comment

Re: Helio lost his trademark - i.e. new Indy tradition

Originally posted by R_Mears_Fan
                          First Gil, then Kevin. Will it continue?
                          Gil did it with Helio's urging. I guess that is like his blessing.
                          One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery........
                            SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                            " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

I think Louie Meyer wanted a drink of milk and a few years later the "WILBER" cup tradition passed from view - It was mentioned in the replay of the 1955 race replay last May.

We just have to be thankful that the "Emerson" did not take root.
                              Witnessed Mario's "Miracle at Indy"...Watched 3 win their 4th Indy 500...Was there for Petty's 200th win...Saw the last Novi qualify

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X