Blatantly O.T.: Mechanics Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blatantly O.T.: Mechanics Please Help

(Rev, please leave this up a bit to see if anyone has a good idea for me to try.)

Swapped a reman A/C compressor onto the '65 Mustang this morning, the old York style. Remember those?

I CANNOT get the clutch off the old compressor. It's a keyed, tapered shaft mount.

I've tried using a longer bolt than the correct mounting bolt. (Everyone said, "Oh, just tighten another bolt about an inch or two longer and it will pop right off the shaft." NOT!)

So, I journeyed down to my local auto parts store to rent a puller.
    Hey, why not just pull it right there on the counter, right?
    After wrestling it like a greasy football, I busted the puller!
    (And I was only using a 1/2" rachet and socket!).

GREAT! Now I gotta pay for a puller and the clutch is still stuck on the shaft. Nice guys at the store said, "It's lifetime guaranteed. No charge."

So, what's the trick? I have no air compressor for my impact gun since someone stole my compressor from my garage week before last, so it's a handtool job now.

Anyone know the secret to removing a clutch from an old York style compressor?

Much appreciated. This old car hobby sure is fun!

"You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

my answer is ditch the AC, go with 2/55.

AC and power steering are for sissies

"I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor, insignificant preamble to somethin' else."

Comment

Oh, yeah, like anyone from Denver could handle 98 degrees and 100% humidity for four months outta the year!

"You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Re: Blatantly O.T.: Mechanics Please Help

Originally posted by KnockOff
        (Rev, please leave this up a bit to see if anyone has a good idea for me to try.)

Swapped a reman A/C compressor onto the '65 Mustang this morning, the old York style. Remember those?

I CANNOT get the clutch off the old compressor. It's a keyed, tapered shaft mount.

I've tried using a longer bolt than the correct mounting bolt. (Everyone said, "Oh, just tighten another bolt about an inch or two longer and it will pop right off the shaft." NOT!)

So, I journeyed down to my local auto parts store to rent a puller.
        Hey, why not just pull it right there on the counter, right?
        After wrestling it like a greasy football, I busted the puller!
        (And I was only using a 1/2" rachet and socket!).

GREAT! Now I gotta pay for a puller and the clutch is still stuck on the shaft. Nice guys at the store said, "It's lifetime guaranteed. No charge."

So, what's the trick? I have no air compressor for my impact gun since someone stole my compressor from my garage week before last, so it's a handtool job now.

Anyone know the secret to removing a clutch from an old York style compressor?

Much appreciated. This old car hobby sure is fun!

Gotta have an impact wrench, probably air. Electric impacts likely won't have enough power. You need the combination of impact and pull. Of course, a little heat will help if you can get to it.

Comment

Hey, stop helping him. He needs to figure this out for himself. You'll thank me for this someday, k/o.

Comment

again, Wilke to the rescue, good advice. One more bit of advise, use a "kwality" puller, did the one you broke have "Globe" on it, made in China out of pot metal? "You don't even know who made it or where it came from," AJ Foyt, circa 1990's.

Heat at the hub would help, don't ruin the clutch with it though

Comment

Re: Blatantly O.T.: Mechanics Please Help

Get a new clutch and put it on the new compressor. Drop the old one in the trash. How much is your time worth? And what does a new clutch cost?

Comment

Thanks.

Eagle, I can appreciate the "journey" and it's lessons of patience, prudence, and pizzed-off'ness.

Wilke, I'm seriously missing my impact at the moment.

Mackie, you're exactly right. The one I busted was Hong Kong pot metal. Bingo.

Bennett, I'm with you on the new clutch idea, but it's more expensive than the reman compressor and will take days to arrive. I still might order one and chunk the old one.

I was trying to save the expense of labor and have a friend of mine suction and recharge the system tomorrow morning.

Plan B is now simmering on the back burner.

Thanks again

Comment

Take the three eighths bolt out of the front pressure plate.
                  Find a five eights course thread bolt.
                  And just drive it into the front of the clutch assembly.
                  You can use an impact wrench.
                  It will not damage anything.
                  If you have to, place the old compressor back in place.
                  Tighten the belt, and energize the coil.
                  And use a box wrench to break it loose.
                  Kyle Prell,
                  Owner Prell Auto Air.
                  Pensacola Fl.
                  I have spent more time here than I did in school.

Comment

Thanks, prell.

I ran out of time this afternoon and just got back home.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and drive it over to a friend's shop in the morning. He was just planning on vac'ing and charging the system, but he'll determine the condition of the clutch. I may have fragged it today. If not, he'll remount it. If it's junk, I'll try and find a reman.

Since it's my daily driver I'm not counting on having it cool for a few days this week.

Thanks again to everyone.

rev, if you wanna move it.....so be it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X