Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone in the IRL please...

Put John Andretti in an Indy Car.

He topped all of NASCAR's best in Brickyard practice, in a new ride, no less.

AJ, he's the one you want.

(Of course there are several others that need full-time rides, too - Jaques, Billy, Jeff, Alex, et al.)
    If you do what you've always done...

you'll get what you've always gotten.

which car, there are only 21/22 of them

again, as with Barron or "insert name here," all seats are full, either by quality, added money or nepotism, qualified or not, again, all seats are full. I would suggest that you or others buy two chassis, a transporter, a shop, sign an engine deal, get a sponsor that will give you carte blanc, hire a crew and engineers and insert "drivers name here" in the seat, after you pour it. All it will take is about $25 million.

No offence meant, there are enough qualified drivers out there to support a 36-car field, it just isn't happenin' and the days of Georgefare are done, or greatly reduced.

Consider these "names," Gidley, John Andretti, Barron, Hearn, Hamilton, Kite, JJ, Ward and Hines, just to name a few. Add Dare, Salazar (I can't believe I wrote that), hey even Jaques Lazier, and several that will emerge from the ashes of CART and you have NASCAR numbers.

Comment

Yep.

All we need are teams... and sponsors.

There are enough quality drivers for 30 car fields.
      If you do what you've always done...

you'll get what you've always gotten.

Comment

Re: which car, there are only 21/22 of them

Originally posted by Mackie
        again, as with Barron or "insert name here," all seats are full, either by quality, added money or nepotism, qualified or not, again, all seats are full. I would suggest that you or others buy two chassis, a transporter, a shop, sign an engine deal, get a sponsor that will give you carte blanc, hire a crew and engineers and insert "drivers name here" in the seat, after you pour it. All it will take is about $25 million.

No offence meant, there are enough qualified drivers out there to support a 36-car field, it just isn't happenin' and the days of Georgefare are done, or greatly reduced.

Consider these "names," Gidley, John Andretti, Barron, Hearn, Hamilton, Kite, JJ, Ward and Hines, just to name a few. Add Dare, Salazar (I can't believe I wrote that), hey even Jaques Lazier, and several that will emerge from the ashes of CART and you have NASCAR numbers.
        Hey Mackie, I'd like your opinon on a pet theory of mine. With regards to car count. I've often been of the opinion since the infamous "split", that there really are only about 12-15 top level teams in OW (both IRL & CART). Whether some like it or not, the length of this war has really whittled down the top teams to about this number anyway. So even with multi-car ops, you're still looking at a driver pool of between 24-36 open slots. So, some of the guys often lamented may still find themselves on the sidelines in the best of times. Your thoughts...

Comment

Teams or cars, most teams are multi-cars, but for starters, let's look at IndyCar top teams.

Penske, 2 cars
          Ganassi, 2 cars
          Nunn, 2 cars, darn right at top team, won each season and Mo knows ovals.
          Menard, 1 car
          Panther, 1 car
          Andretti Green, 3 cars
          Kelley, 2 cars
          Cheever, 1 car, 2 if Eddie runs, this may be a stretch without Owen, but the Chevy hasn't been good enough to tell. Red Bull money makes them a top team.

D&R isn't any good at all, Hemelgarn has fallen on money woes, but they still have all the right people, given money, they are as good as the others. Foyt, with someone else's money and two good drivers, still can win.

Duel series operations,
          Fernandez, 1 car in each series, IndyCar with Honda's token, they could have done better with that.
          Rahal, 1 car in each, great in CART, missing something in IndyCar, Brack disappoints me, not the same Hondas as AGR.

CART

Newman/Haas, 2 cars
          Forsythe, 2 cars
          Patrick, 1 car
          Rocketsports, 1 car, Paul G is a top team in any series

Walker is a *****, he runs money, not racers, a 70%er, the rest have to get past the Pookfare class and prove they can run on their own before the can be considered. Biggest disappointment, PK racing, they should have done better.

In summation, 14 "top teams" with lets say 5 others "in waiting," 22/23 cars in "top teams." With NASCAR sucking up most of the available money, and there is trouble there too, it isn't a pretty picture. Even were the economy to improve, there is so much competition for the sponsorship dollars among the major sports that I think the best years are behind us. I don't see IndyCar picking up any new teams in 2004, unless CART fails, given that, I think Patrick, at his age, is gone.

This morning on rpm, I never have seen "the Miller" so pessimistic about CART's future, he usually will grasp at the thinnest straw, he didn't even foster the Motorock line.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackie
            Mo knows ovals.
            I feel an idea for an IRL commercial coming on...
            "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Mackie. It re-affirmed my thoughts that even with more multi-car ops, you're still talking about 14-15 really top notch OW racing programs. Everyone gets their panties in a bunch - "why can't we have 43 cars every race like NASCAR" - when we all know that there really are only about 15 NASCAR teams capable of winning at a given race. By my calcs, OW in total has the same number of capable teams as NASCAR - so there all you naysayers - we're even. And in fact, it suggests that OW depth and field quality is actually slightly better.

Comment

I do think there are possibilities for a few more teams and upgrades for the "weak sisters (no pun intended). First, Honda, if they are in it for the long haul, can't be outnumbered by Toyota nearly 2-1. In addition, they have to distribute engines equally, not send the best to Andretti Green. I will be doing an OWR column early this week with more on the Honda situation if I can clarify just what I can say and what I can't. Not only is Honda short on cars, but there quality of teams isn't up to Toyota, who only support one dog team. Honda has a gem in Access if they would only support them to the same extent as they do Fernandez, perhaps Greg should change his last name to Rayzuki or Rayzukawa..

Then there is Chevy, they know how to play the team game from years in NASCAR, unless the Chord wins every race after all the teams get there hands on it, they will be hard pressed to sign new teams. That means that Chevy will have to strengthen the teams they have, help with sponsorship or flat out fund them. They will have to make Panther a two-car operation, whether they keep Sam or not, I think they will. They will have to help D&R, PDM and Hemelgarn. It makes little sense for Chevy to invest in the Chord only to put it in the weakling teams they have now. They will also have to secure drivers like Barron, Ward and Hearn.

So, there is hope, if what I mentioned above turns out to be true, there could be 26 cars or more next year.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X