KY Speedway grinds down the bumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KY Speedway grinds down the bumps

Took me a while to find. Didn't get a lot of pub around here.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky...ts/6423826.htm

I have been to every event at the speedway. I have been one of the biggest critics of the parking situation. From what I have seen, they finally have it figured out. It was as easy (out) as any track I have ever visited after the truck race in June.

Check out the bottom of the article as well. Ticket sales are 10,000 ahead of last years pace.

Comment

Originally posted by Round_is_Funny
      Check out the bottom of the article as well. Ticket sales are 10,000 ahead of last years pace.

SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
      " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

How 'bout a little good news amid all the P&M'ing?

"You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Glad to see thet did something about the bumps. From the testing quotes this week (thanks TSO!) it was clear something was different.

I'm a bit confused by the ticket sales paragraph though... they say that ticket sales are 10,000 ahead of last year, but expect a crowd of 50,000...up from 49 and change last year. Sounds like they think everyone is just buying early.

Comment

After the first test, Cassis, in answer to the complaints said thet wouldn't repave and wouldn't grind down the bumps, perhaps he changed his mind.

Comment

Perhaps IMS/the IRL "convinced" him it would be good idea. A track that doesn't have a Cup date, and isn't likely to get one can't afford to throw away a race day crowd of 40-50,000 from the IndyCars.

Comment

You get a Mackie Bingo there akh, the track does well with BGN, truks are ok, but IndyCar is the main event, best race closest to Indy, it is a natural.

Comment

Akh I was a little confused about the ticket sales statement as well. The speedway always underestimates crowds before the event so they can say WOW look how many people we put in the stands. I have a feeling they are going to have a great raceday crowd this year. I'm taking 17 people that have never seen as much as a go cart race.

With the insider info I get from the track, which isn't much, I can say there was no mandate from IMS/IRL to fix the bumps.

Comment

Do any of you know squat about what happens on the track (Dog excepted)?

A major safety issue has been addressed, the track has been uprgaded so the racing will be better and so far this thread is again about attendance.

Another potentially good thread ruined by attendance stupidity.
                    "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

My butt will be one of those 50K. That's all I care about. I'm taking a die-hard cartisan to the race. His first IRL event. The fact that he's going is a major concession. The future is bright guys and gals.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
                        Another potentially good thread ruined by attendance stupidity.
                        Not at all, Doc. It's gonna be ruined by tire wear stupidity! Y'know, grinding makes the surface chew up tires like a wood chipper!

Just kidding, Doc. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Although there may not have been pressure from IMS/IRL to do something about the track surface issues, it wouldn't surprise me if the league didn't pick up part of the tab for the work. If so, a good use of IMS Corp. money, I'd say.

Although that track has produced some very good racing, it seems like the freeze/thaw cycles in that area have resulted in track surface issues almost every year. Anybody know if a total repave can be done in such a way as to permanently resolve these issues?
                        "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

I'm gonna tell you that in the Firestone years, I can only recall once where tire wear was an issue, it happened to Tomas some place last year and he crashed because of it, with another driver trying to warn him. In that same time frame, IndyCar has raced in some staggering track temperatures, even having the tires blister and still not fail at Kansas. I don't post this to suggest that sf-indy-fan is wrong, he did say "just kidding," I just think we can't say enough about how great the Firestone tires have been. Have you ever seen a 'stone IndyCar tire shed a donut like you see with the Goodyear's at NASCAR events, week after week, talk about being unsafe.

Comment

We're taking 3 folks that have been to an IRL event before, and 5 that have only been to stock car events at the track before. My Dad is a good salesman... he went to the BGN race there with them, and told them about how great the IRL racing was, so they started watching. I think they were impressed by the performances at Richmond and Nashville by a certain driver in a yellow car...
                            One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

Comment

I really, really, really wish I could go to this one. Can you make 'em delay the start for a couple of hours????
                              "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X