Atlas F1 IRL Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas F1 IRL Threads

This is the most Indy Car discussion I've seen there in several years, outside of the month of May.

In addition, it seems the rhetoric has turned a bit.

Still lots of anti-oval stuff, but it is an F1 site, after all. Some very impressive comments in these... keep in mind, English is a second third or fourth language for many members there.

Our good buddy manson is a much nicer person than their Manson is, though... But Don Capps is very reasonable

http://www.atlasf1.com/bb/showthread.php?threadid=59707

http://www.atlasf1.com/bb/showthread.php?threadid=59632

http://www.atlasf1.com/bb/showthread.php?threadid=59258
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Gee, I thought all of the internet experts were in our little world.... Have could I have been so naive??

Comment

I don't know, T13. In general, that crowd looks like the same snooty bunch of jerks that I found so nasty all those years.
      Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Originally posted by slinger
        I don't know, T13. In general, that crowd looks like the same snooty bunch of jerks that I found so nasty all those years.
        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I couldn't even read one thread to completion!:mad:

I am so sick of reading that stuff...I came here to get away from it but like a younger brother it keeps following me.

Comment

Unfortunately, the threads contained far too much c-wagon like taunting and stupidity, complete with bad grammar, spelling and illiteracy.

Perhaps the holier than thous could increase the viability of their complaints if they would simply grow up. If, however, that happened, the gush of newfound maturity would, of course, prevent them from making such fools of themselves in the first place.

Why not enjoy what you like and NOT bleat about what you don't or know very little about? What a concept.

Comment

Originally posted by slinger
              They aren't all bad. Sure you get alot of juvenile hatred of TG and the IRL from bitter CART fans, but taken as a whole I find Atlas to be one of the best internet BBS sites for racing around. No offence to my fellow TFers.

I defend the IRL there because IMO that's the best, most reasonable site for racing enthusiasts. There I believe I can make my case in a reasonable manner (with a chance of convincing people) and not be drowned by insults.

To put it another way.....Jesus did not try to save those who have already been saved. He did not preach to those who have already heard the Word. This is why I share my enthusiasm with those who are not fans and defend the series against those who despise and ridicule us in what may seem to be hostile territory.
              For the record, I never had a problem with CART in 1995. Its when they turned beligerant twards IMS and their fans for supporting the IRL that turned me off them.

Comment

You can defend the IRL to road racing fans all you want and I wouldn't ever try to talk you out of it. However, the people I see on that forum are typical of the fans I've experienced in more than 40 years of attending road races. It's true that there are some who are real racefans and who have an open mind. Many more are not. I've also seen sprint car fans who show contempt for road racing but in general, the majority always seemed more tolerant.

All of this points up what I've been saying all along. Road racing and oval racing are two different sports. You can like either or both but you can't demand of either what the other has as it's stengths. There are millions of people who are both baseball and football fans. They accept that they're different sports and they don't expect to see the same game in each. Why can't racing fans do the same thing?
                Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Good post for an old curmugeon.
                  Center Grove Trojans
                  2008 5A Football State Champs
                  2015 6A Football State Champs
                  2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                  2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Actually, I'm very pleasantly surprised by this post:

Originally posted by aportinga:
                    Folks if you want to open the floor for debate in regards to the talent of oval drivers compared to road racers then I would be prepared to provide specific examples of oval drivers who excelled on road racing.

This group is very small indeed when compared to the opposite. Proof enough too me that the skill set demanded for ovals is far less then that of road courses. Add to that the ease which road racers (Nigel Mansell for example), get up too speed on ovals and I'd say this only pushes this point even further.

Ovals IMO require more balls because of the close racing, multiple passing and what's left over to stop a car at 200mph in the case of an accident (concrete barrier as opposed to kittly litter). That deffinately takes some talent and a ton of balls.

But RR is by far more demanding based on diversity alone.
                    Isn't this guy one of the hysterical babblers on 7th Gear? He actually sounds pretty reasonable to me here. I guess if you don't hysterically babble on 7th Gear, you get booted...

I've felt this way for quite some time. I have absolutely no problem conceding that accomplished road racers have more pure driving skill than equally accomplished oval racers. It's the cojones factor that makes me an oval fan. Schumacher's answer to why he'd never race at Indy ("It's too dangerous.") sez it all, and makes me respect Hornish much more than I could ever respect Schuie with all his WDC's.
                    "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

RIP, Dan. You will always be one of my heroes.

Comment

I only visit the Nostalgia forum at AtlasF1.

Great forum and a fine group pf people.
                      "You people worry too much. Strive for change. Root for your favorites. Enjoy the racing. Drop the flag." rev-ed, 3/04

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X