What's wrong with you people???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with you people???

Some more exposure....baby step out the door....baby step down the hall...

Lack of interest in exciting IRL is a mystery

This comment....
    It may be that many NASCAR fans are not so much race fans as they are followers of the cool thing to do. NASCAR is hot. It has captured the interest of the average Joe.
    stands out as the key to NASCARs' popularity. Can't be the actual racing these days. Unfortunately in the USA it seems that people are somehow forced to choose in an either, or fashion. Eg; either you like hard rock music or you like country & western...can't like both.
    Before the NASCAR explosion I thought there were many closet NASCAR fans that wouldn't admit to watching fendered cars race. Now I sense a number of NASCAR fans that will admit they watch IRL....as long as none of their NASCAR buddies are around to chastise them for watching "furriners" race ground suckers.
    Jim Naden Atlanta, Indiana

Growing Old Is No Excuse For Growing Up.

"When people get used to preferential treatment, equal treatment seems like discrimination"
    Thomas Sowell

Comment

Article was a good read...thanks for posting

I don't get it either. Even with my complaints about the IRL not finding a way to get the future Ryan Newmans and Tony Stewarts to the IRL, still...the racing and action blows fenders off NASCAR.

I was talking with some big NASCAR fans at church the other day and they talked about the Pocono race was pretty much a snoozer. I asked them, "Hey, but did you send the end of the IRL race at Michigan?!" No.

Not a smart aleck no, just a no
      "...American open-wheel racing is based around the most famous oval track in the world -- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So how in the world does it make sense to center the majority of the IndyCar Series on street courses, road courses and foreign events?..." Terry Blount, ESPN

Comment

Well, let's see. Before even reading the article, I can give you some ideas:

*NASCAR is a **** of a lot better-marketed

*NASCAR fans are encouraged in all ways to know and relate to the drivers--their lives, their likes, their loves, etc.

*NASCAR hasn't yet fallen victim to an overblown political "split"

*NASCAR hasn't endured another racing series, its fans, and motorsports writers in their pockets screaming about how horrible and evil NASCAR is since day one of its existence (I know some of you think that debatable, but think about it before you respond, please)

*By the time NASCAR had to deal with Internet forums loaded with whiny, panties-in-a-wad "experts" on everything, it was already top dog and growling

*NASCAR's owners look for the best American talent first, anywhere they can find it

Okay, now I'll read the article and see how much it agrees...
        "I didn't hear a single comment about airboxes, "carbashians", or how terrible the car looked. I did see dozens and dozens of little kids in awe of the speed and how cool the cars looked. We should learn from our children."
        --Danny Noonan

Comment

What's wrong with you people???

Great column in today's Dallas Morning News . You'll have to register...

But here's the main page intro:

How in the world, columnist Terry Blount writes, can millions of NASCAR followers call themselves racing fans and not care one iota about watching the most competitive and most exciting racing in the country? In other words, why isn't there more of a following for the Indy Racing League.

If you don't like registering, click here .

I think an e-mail thanks to Terry Blount is in order.
          Griz In Indy

Comment

Makes alot of sense.
            Notice all the adds for tickets on the right of the col.?
            Yep...all NASCAR.
            ...---...

Comment

Sounds like what I've been saying for years.
              "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Good column.

As the writer acknowledges;
                “NASCAR has done a remarkable job of marketing its drivers and making them household names.”

That’s the bottom line, imho. Driver recognition and fan loyalty to them. Hypothetically speaking, if they could run one season with WC drivers running IRL cars and vice versa, my guess is that the IRL would see NASACAR size crowds.

Comment

You could probably ask the same question of cart fans, only they follow what's going on in the IRL, know the drivers, and know how good the racing is. Everyone that comes here and knocks the IRL watches enough to nit pick the races, so they certainly see enough to know how fierce the competition it is. What's wrong with those people?
                  "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Confessions from a new IRL race fan:

I'm hooked. I've been following most of the races this year on TV or radio, but not too religiously--just enough to not look stupid in my friend's IRL pool.

BUT, everything changed when I attended my first race this past weekend at MIS...I was literally blown away. Maybe it completely spoiled me to see such a great event in person, but I can't wait to see the next one and want to go to every race within a 5 hour drive (at least I can dream).

The reason I say this is because NASCAR really got me interested in racing in the first place. I started following it 3 or so years ago very casually, and eventually (mostly through the prodding of some friends) I started to watch the IRL. It was obvious to me how much more exciting the racing was...and the rest is (recent) history.

I say, let NASCAR bring the casual fan in...but give it some time and let those fans thirst for some better racing...and they will come. The IRL product on the track is too good to ignore.

Comment

Welcome to Track Forum, hangman. The place has a few subtleties like "H" and "tenderlions," "Bingos" and, errrrrr, my special award, but if you like the IRL you are smart enough to catch on quickly.

So, welcome. It sounds like you are goig to be a good fan.
                      "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by Hangman
                        Confessions from a new IRL race fan:

I'm hooked. I've been following most of the races this year on TV or radio, but not too religiously--just enough to not look stupid in my friend's IRL pool.

BUT, everything changed when I attended my first race this past weekend at MIS...I was literally blown away. Maybe it completely spoiled me to see such a great event in person, but I can't wait to see the next one and want to go to every race within a 5 hour drive (at least I can dream).

The reason I say this is because NASCAR really got me interested in racing in the first place. I started following it 3 or so years ago very casually, and eventually (mostly through the prodding of some friends) I started to watch the IRL. It was obvious to me how much more exciting the racing was...and the rest is (recent) history.

I say, let NASCAR bring the casual fan in...but give it some time and let those fans thirst for some better racing...and they will come. The IRL product on the track is too good to ignore.
                        And Hangman...

Did you give a rat's arse where Sam's engine came from?

Did you care that he beat the front row to the S'F line by milliseconds?

Did you care that he may have been speeding on pit lane?

Hangman is the "common fan". The fan the IRL needs to attract to succeed. Hangman's probably not interested in millisecond penalties, or political engine affiliation discussions. He likes the IRL because it's fast, dynamic, and exciting. He likes going to the race, seeing the action, smelling the meth and rubber, drinking a couple beers, eating a couple hot dogs, and having a good time cheering for his fantasy team.

Hangman understands that this is an entertaining racing series. It's a happy occasion. There's no need to bicker and argue about who cheated who.

Meanwhile, we all sit around her complaining about who's not in the series, in the stands, or watching on TV.

I dig Hangman. He gets it. And there's alot more of him out there than any of the self-proclaimed experts around here that are all knowing.
                        "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

Matt, execellent post, dude.

Comment

SUCCESS!!!

Okay Hangman, you are now our test subject.

Prepare to be poked, prodded, and tested so we can see what worked and what didn't so we can make more of you in the future.

Just relax, what you are about to feel may be a bit uncomfortable...

Comment

Originally posted by Grover
                              SUCCESS!!!

Okay Hangman, you are now our test subject.

Prepare to be poked, prodded, and tested so we can see what worked and what didn't so we can make more of you in the future.

Just relax, what you are about to feel may be a bit uncomfortable...
                              The first experiment will entail watching "OW expert" Robin Miller's RPM 2 nite segments via the method utilized in "A Clockwork Orange".

If you can watch open wheel racing again after that, without puking, someones hypothesis might be correct.
                              "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X