Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toronto on the IRL horizon?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Toronto on the IRL horizon?

    One article I don't care to see.....


    Toronto on the IRL horizon?

  • #2
    WDC95
    "Living well is the best revenge"

    George Herbert

    Comment


    • #3
      Toronto, LB, Vancouver, RA, Laguna Seca, Mid-Ohio, Mexico, worldwide, whatever!

      Few will deny that CART is at death's door (except at 7th denial), without a huge influx of money, either through buyout or further investment from within, CART will not answer the bell for 2004, you can only postpone the inevitable for so long. So the key word here is "plans," I don't want I-5 to break his arm patting himself on the back, thinking he is finally in the reach of an "I told you so" after telling us probably 50 times and setting his deadline back about 3 times, but why wouldn't IndyCar plan for a post CART era? By now, all the successful venues must have approached them, as they two look to life after an imminent CART demise.

      Making plans is being prepared, nothing more, on both sides of the issue. Who knows, Gerry Forsythe may decide to throw good money after bad in a last ditch effort to protect his investment, but if he does, I expect that he will do it on his own, he won't ask any friends to invest in such a risky effort.

      So let's not get our shorts in a knot before we have good reason. Two weeks ago Penske was reported as saying that IndyCar needed to be in Canada, doing street races, an oxymoron IMO. Then, as soon as the news is leaked that IndyCar has asked suppliers to be ready with road race kits for 2005, Penske shows up on screen saying it would be costly for the owners and teams and not that good an idea. Having said that, he also said road racing is one of the things his teams do and would be ready for. Foyt was on the show saying road racing is wrong for IndyCar, too costly and he wished they wouldn't do it. Foyt has the connections to, he has always been close to the "family," look who Ed Carpenter is running for in IPS, how many Foyt/Ziggy sprinters he has ran.

      Yes, I think IndyCar has to be ready, but I also think if there is another alternative in replacing CART, they will stay out of road racing. I also think that any alternative to CART will use IndyCar equipment and engines, so if G Force and Dallara build the kits, they won't be wasted.

      Comment


      • #4
        from dironstarr:
        One article I don't care to see.....
        Toronto on the IRL horizon?
        There are some interesting responses to the idea on the message board links at the bottom of the link. It doesn't look like the article is too well received.

        Comment


        • #5
          Cool...street racing. Was this part of the vision? Or was it a vision?

          Toronto and Long Beach.

          I can't stand it.....

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Taxpayer
            There are some interesting responses to the idea on the message board links at the bottom of the link. It doesn't look like the article is too well received.
            Yeah, just saw those. You are correct. Bad blood.
            One driver's "fuel strategy" is another driver's "speed up or we will park you!"

            Comment


            • #7
              Dear Toronto:

              Start building your oval now, and we will come.


              Sincerely,

              The IRL


              I mean, why not give our good neighbors some actual racing to watch?

              To me, everything that is right about the IRL can be summed up last Sunday, the great racing of MIS vs. the no passing borefast in Vancouver.

              The IRL running a parade in Toronto doesn't make any sense. Get Molson or Labatts to build an Oval. CASCAR can run it a few times a year, and maybe he trucks could head north for a date.

              Comment


              • #8
                I want to first state that as a kid growing up playing hockey, I've only had the utmost respect for Canada. My favorite musician, Neil Young, is Canadian. Toronto, in particular, has had it rough with the SARS stuff.

                However, those responses are the second thing in the last four hours to HONK me off about Canada.

                First, I don't need to see 500,000 Canadians rocking to the Rolling Stones with Dan Akroyd urging Americans to come north to the friendly Toronto area to spend our dollars. The Canadians, I recall, were none too supportive of the US after 9-11, nor have they been extremely friendly during the Iraq conflict. IMO, they believe that the US deserves what it's getting from terrorists. Well if that's true, then don't urge us to come there to spend money. I just don't need it.

                Second, to those Canadian CARTisans posting on the board that they'll never watch the IRL and hold TG as a villian: the IRL does not need you. I'm in favor of a couple of road courses. I don't mind having the foreign influence. Canada does not want the IRL. Well, I hope the IRL does not want Canada.

                Q. How do you spell Canada?
                A. C-eh, N-eh, D-eh.

                Q. What does a Canadian guy ask before agreeing to a blind date?
                A. Does she have her own jumper cables?

                So Canada, please be quiet and go back to protecting us from Greenland.
                You can't chase the American Dream in a hard-top!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Toronto, LB, Vancouver, RA, Laguna Seca, Mid-Ohio, Mexico, worldwide, whatever!

                  Originally posted by Mackie
                  Yes, I think IndyCar has to be ready, but I also think if there is another alternative in replacing CART, they will stay out of road racing. I also think that any alternative to CART will use IndyCar equipment and engines, so if G Force and Dallara build the kits, they won't be wasted.
                  When CART wanted to use IndyCar equipment and engines, it was squashed by IMS. Why would they want CART MK II to run their equipment?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mav-1


                    First, I don't need to see 500,000 Canadians rocking to the Rolling Stones with Dan Akroyd urging Americans to come north to the friendly Toronto area to spend our dollars. The Canadians, I recall, were none too supportive of the US after 9-11, nor have they been extremely friendly during the Iraq conflict. IMO, they believe that the US deserves what it's getting from terrorists. Well if that's true, then don't urge us to come there to spend money. I just don't need it.

                    Second, to those Canadian CARTisans posting on the board that they'll never watch the IRL and hold TG as a villian: the IRL does not need you. I'm in favor of a couple of road courses. I don't mind having the foreign influence. Canada does not want the IRL. Well, I hope the IRL does not want Canada.

                    You should pay more attention to the news.

                    Immediately after the 9/11 attacks all the airports in the US were shutdown. Hundreds of flights were diverted to Canada. Most of the overseas flights ended up in Newfoundland. There were not enough hotel rooms so the locals took in the Americans that were stuck until the airports opened.

                    Canada has had warships in the Persian Gulf tracking and searching ships for terrorists since Day 1.

                    Canadian soldiers have been in Afganistan since Day 1. A couple of cowboy American fighter pilots bombed Canadian troops by accident and killed 4 of them in April of 2002. Canadian snipers saved a lot of US soldiers lives in one incident that I heard about when Al-Quada fighters had the Americans pinned down. A Canadian sniper now owns the world-record for a long distance kill.

                    Here's a couple of links to enlighten you:

                    http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/operati...lo/index_e.htm

                    http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/operati...na/index_e.asp

                    Tell me again that Canada doesn't support the US in the war on terror.

                    And why does a concert in Canada bother you? How are you affected by it?[

                    Comment

                    Unconfigured Ad Widget

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X