• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Las Vegas Speedway Off 2004 IRL Schedule

well, maybe they can add Loudon now?

Las Vegas Speedway Off 2004 IRL Schedule

Another column here:

LAS VEGAS LEFT BEHIND: LVMS not getting IRL event
    Last edited by dironstarr; 07-31-2003, 04:11 AM.

There is just no date that will work, early in July I flew into Vegas at nearly midnight, it was still over 100 degrees. Besides, only NASCAR could draw in Vegas at night, ant the 'cinos would veto a WC night race. The West Coast Spring dance card is full and after football starts, any Vegas "player" is sitting in a sports book, winning or looking to recover with second half action. There will never be a good Vegas IndyCar date other then part of the NASCAR weekend, now if NASCAR gets a second Vegas date, then look for IndyCar as the Saturday event, in the fall.

Comment

The IRL did have a race at the magic mile, it was either 1998 or 1999 if my memory serves me correctly. I didn't make it, but it only drew about 30,000 people, which were mostly from season ticket holders. I was at the CART race there in 1992, my graduation gift, and the track was at capacity, which I think was about 60,000 at the time.
      The thing about Loudon is it's not a good track for the IRL cars, or NASCAR for that matter. It's a 1 mile track with sharp corners and only one groove. Compared to current tracks like Texas, Michigan, or even Pikes Peak, it is not conducive to tight racing that is the calling card of the IRL. Granted, if they ever came back my butt would be in the seats, but Mr. Bahre, who's done a lot for New England Race fans, just couldn't make a go of it, and with the last round of expansion, couldn't redesign the oval to make it more conducive for more exciting racing.

Comment

I should have said "return" to Loudon....

Loudon is my "home" track as well (really Stafford is), but I missed the IRL running here as well (in the army).

I think with the recent "re-Configuration" and repaving the IRL would do really well there. The NASCAR race (which ususally really suck there) actually had some racing this time and it is one of the Mods best races of the season.

If the IRL and tracks aren't concerned with getting 30,000 at PPIR and Nashville then 30,000 at Loudon should be ok.

Although I don't think there were 30,000 there in '98. I just watched this race this week while converting to VCD and it seems there under 10,000 there.

Also, I just taped the '92 race for someone, let me know if you want a copy.

Racing Video List

Comment

Las Vegas Left Behind eh?................sounds like a series on the move up to me.................

Your mileage may vary.............
          SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
          " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

I'm bummed we won't be going to Vegas next year, but I believe this is a good call.

Vegas had its foot in the door, but lack of promotion, partnership with the city, whatever, killed it.

With Houston having another warm weather track that may be ready for 2005, the chances of Vegas getting back in seem slimmer and slimmer.

BTW, which of the SMI tracks pulled more in attendance?

Vegas
            Atlanta
            Charlotte

One of the three should be added, but which one?
            "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

Originally posted by mattndallas
              I'm bummed we won't be going to Vegas next year, but I believe this is a good call.

Vegas had its foot in the door, but lack of promotion, partnership with the city, whatever, killed it.

With Houston having another warm weather track that may be ready for 2005, the chances of Vegas getting back in seem slimmer and slimmer.

BTW, which of the SMI tracks pulled more in attendance?

Vegas
              Atlanta
              Charlotte

One of the three should be added, but which one?
              I would have to go with Charlotte. IMO it produced better racing than the other 2. Since both the IRL and the track addressed the issue of parts into the stands and Hummpy probably about to loose one of his WC events he just might be willing to bring'm back.
              By the time you finish reading this you realize that you have wasted 5 seconds of your life.

Comment

Charlotte always produced great races and decent crowds, but I've been to the beautiful Vegas track (which my father helped design), and would love to go back.

Charlotte? Vegas? It's a toss-up...
                No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Crap!

Although i would have to believe the 2004 schedule will be written in pencil mostly to watch what happens to c*rt over the off season.

How about Dover?
                  Have attended: Indy 500 (34), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (4), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

That's the way I see it dog. Vegas not getting an IRL date and Vegas left behind could lead people to believe that the IRL is the worlds fastest growing form of autoracing.

I hate to see Gateway dropped though. Now we have 1 new track and the same amount of races as this year. Would like to see Gateway stay. I guess they are trying to keep the races to 16 so that they can add 4 RR in 05!
                    16th and Georgetown, the greatest place on EARTH!!!

Comment

Too bad. Gambling, chicks, booze and racing is what life's about. It would have been nirvana (or hedonism) for me
                      "If you go, you can either win or not win. If you don't go for it, you definitely won't win." Jens Voigt

Comment

What I don't understand is why they couldn't have an 18 race schedule...keeping Gateway, a great driver's track, plus adding Milwaukee and Las Vegas? To me, its silly, especially when it is an all-oval series (still) for 2004. Thoughts?
                        RIP Dan Wheldon :(

"Anybody who says the IndyCar Series is not the best championship in the world is a complete idiot in my book." ~Dan Wheldon

"It's a discussion board, not a society ball." ~Skypigeon

Comment

Originally posted by damilt
                          How about Dover?
                          Them's fightin' words to a lot of folks roaming the garages. . .
                          "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Originally posted by n-turbo
                            I would have to go with Charlotte. IMO it produced better racing than the other 2. Since both the IRL and the track addressed the issue of parts into the stands and Hummpy probably about to loose one of his WC events he just might be willing to bring'm back.
                            here we go again, there is an oft mentioned rumor that part of the settlement of lawsuits regarding the tire/wheel/suspension assembly going into the stands is that CMS will never run another IRL event. I have no way of knowing if this is true, but it is mentioned often enough to make me wonder.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X