Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, was Trenton an oval or a road course?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, was Trenton an oval or a road course?

Right turn!

And better still, with all the new cookie cutter tracks being built, why doesn't somebody build one a little bit unique like that? I know it was due to a stubborn land-owner, but still, it'd be cool to have a few different configurations.

oval with a dog leg

Comment

It was an oval. The dogleg hardly mattered. What did matter was that turns one and two were utterly different than three and four. It was an excellent track and I saw nearly every race they ever ran on it. I'd be happy to see another one like it.
      Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

I used to love to watch Trenton. I think they showed it every year on Wide World of Sports. Remmber the Figure 8's at Islip, NY?

Comment

...a kidney-shaped oval.

Trenton

​a bad day at the race track beats a good day at work

Comment

Originally posted by slinger
            It was an oval. The dogleg hardly mattered. What did matter was that turns one and two were utterly different than three and four. It was an excellent track and I saw nearly every race they ever ran on it. I'd be happy to see another one like it.
            Roses are red..... Did "both" of you go?
            "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

Hey, Houston Superspeedway looks pretty cool... High banks, and unique turns and straights... Almost a modern Darlington.

Comment

Originally posted by $noopy
                Roses are red..... Did "both" of you go?

Absolutely. I was.......beside myself.
                Proud to be a complainer.

Comment

Originally posted by HendrikGerhardt
                  Hey, Houston Superspeedway looks pretty cool... High banks, and unique turns and straights... Almost a modern Darlington.
                  I was noticing that, too. It's hard to tell from the track map, but it doesn't look like there is a true "straightaway" anywhere. It looks like a true egg.

I like that, and the fact that it will have a unique length.

This may be a dumb question, but is there an oval anywhere that has a length of between 1.5 and 2.0 miles?

Comment

THAT is a right turn I could learn to love!
                    ...---...

Comment

Isn't this the race track where the drivers first started using he helmet restaining strap? If I'm not mistaken Wally Dallenbach was the first.

I agree in that this would be a refreshing twist for an oval track design. I would break my "no right turns" vow with a track like this.

Comment

It's a "roval" (with credits to Rick Mears, the person I forst heard use this term).

Comment

That track is as close to road racing as the IRL should get.

Very cool, too bad that it's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyMJH
                            Very cool, too bad that it's gone.
                            Some of these folks building all these cookie-cutter tracks ought to take a look at that photo. I for one am glad to have more race tracks, but I would like to see more variety in the layouts. For instance: sure, the stands shook in a gentle breeze, but the paperclip layout at Chicago (Sportsman's Park) is pretty neat. Phoenix is an unusual track and I would like to see another race there (bring back the REAL Copper Classic!) Resurface Texas World and Pocono and run there as well.
                            You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

man that brings back memories. If you can imagine a little bit, take the dogleg and move it out the same amount that it is moved in and then Trenton looks like Pocono with the tunnel turn.

Trenton was a place for brave men as was Langhorne.........
                              SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
                              " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X