World Wide Oval Racing Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Wide Oval Racing Series

I say run a world wide oval racing league. F1 is a worldwide roadcourse leage, why not run a worldwide oval league? Put some high banked oval across the ocean and show the world what good racing is. Nascar has the ovals locked up here in the US but not worldwide. Indycar could convert fans worldwide to oval racing. What do you guys think?
    It only matters if you think it matters. - Klicky

I sort of like the idea, but it may create higher costs and sponsorship issues.

My idea would be to call it the World RACING Championship, to differentiate it from F1, which has the World DRIVING Championship. F1 is about driving not racing. But then, I'm still bitter about the F1 drive at Indy last year.

Comment

Originally posted by ramdacf
      ...F1 is about driving not racing....
      Amazing.
      "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by ramdacf
        I sort of like the idea, but it may create higher costs and sponsorship issues.

My idea would be to call it the World RACING Championship, to differentiate it from F1, which has the World DRIVING Championship. F1 is about driving not racing. But then, I'm still bitter about the F1 drive at Indy last year.
        ....may create higher costs... You suppose?
        "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"

Comment

Better find more ticket buyers right here in the United States before you spread wings --- and find out you haven't learned how to fly.
          Dick Ralstin www.dickralstin.com

Satisfaction guaranteed or your Monkee returned

Comment

Interesting idea, but like Mr. R implied, the time is not right...to put it mildly.

Still, I think we'd have enough places to start: Motegi, Lausitz, Rockingham UK, the Charlotte-clone Thunderdome in AUS, and the fascinating (IMO) Fittipaldi speedway in Rio.
            You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

This idea is interesting.

How about the idea of countries sponsoring their own teams? Sort of like the olympics.

Maybe every four years the summer olympics could build a new oval in a new city too.

(The point being just because IRL may be huge in the US, running our teams in foreign countries is not automatically of interest to them).

I would not like it to become a manufacturers series like F1 where costs are unlimited. If revenues from the IndyWorld Championship grow, let it be used to increase purses and build new tracks.
              Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

The oval racing boom in Yurop is over. It came during the heyday of CART, in 1998/1999. At that point CART got so much attention that I, still a road racing fan to the bone, before I was slowly converted to ovals only, feared that it might challenge my beloved F1.

It would have about as much chance to be successful as a road racing series in the US.

I know, of course when it comes to Indy Cars on dirt tracks, my posts are less realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by HendrikGerhardt
                  The oval racing boom in Yurop is over. It came during the heyday of CART, in 1998/1999. At that point CART got so much attention that I, still a road racing fan to the bone, before I was slowly converted to ovals only, feared that it might challenge my beloved F1.

It would have about as much chance to be successful as a road racing series in the US.

I know, of course when it comes to Indy Cars on dirt tracks, my posts are less realistic.

Aloha HendrikGerhardt,,,

I wasn't aware that CART ever had a "Hay-Day",,, ANYWHERE,,,,

Or "Hey-Day,,, ANYWHERE ,,, let alone in E-Rope... I think they
                  are still sucking hind tit, on a poor broken down cow....

Most of the "Hay" I have seen from CART,,,, and Pookie,,,

Is about 12 hours, after the "Bull",,, ate the "Hay".... LOL
                  Yes,,, Yes,,, Tony,,,

Your Grandfather was a friend of Roger Penske,,,

Your Grandfather did business with Roger Penske,,, but

Your Grandfather never trusted Roger Penske,,,

Comment

The IRL should fill up the grandstands at is races now before trying to go international (yeah, Japan is the exception); if they try to do this too soon, the cost/benefit ratio we go way out of wack. Loosing teams would surely happen.
                    The transformation is complete. The Indy 500 is the only IndyCar race that matters.

Comment

No really, there was a time when CART was the cult series for road racing fans in Europe. Not for the average only-watch-F1-only-root-for-the-red car bunch, but those followed other series also. People loved CART because it was "so purely American" with breathtaking speeds, ovals, cool cars, and, yes, "cheap equipment".

Comment

Originally posted by autoracingfan2
                        The IRL should fill up the grandstands at is races now before trying to go international (yeah, Japan is the exception); if they try to do this too soon, the cost/benefit ratio we go way out of wack. Loosing teams would surely happen.
                        Japan is an exception but would have to be the model for any future overseas IndyCar oval races. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Japan race didn't cost the teams anymore than a domestic race.

I look at foreign IndyCar races much the same as I do IndyCar on road courses. A few, two or three at max, would be OK but absolutely no more than a few.

Comment

Motegi is the one track I wish the IRL would drop....go back to Loudon & Dover and let more American fans see the IRL...

Comment

I like the country idea. Have 3 cars from 11 countries with the driver being a native(born) from that country.

1. USA
                            2. Brazil
                            3. Japan
                            4. Mexico
                            5. Germany
                            6. UK
                            7. Canada
                            8. Italy
                            9. France
                            10. Australia
                            11. ?

This would be good for an Olympic event if not for a regular series.
                            Can't think of a good 11th country.
                            It only matters if you think it matters. - Klicky

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X