Latest I. N. Sider piece:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest I. N. Sider piece:

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I like the way this guy thinks:

Time is Right for Jeff Gordon at Indy

Interesting. I'd LOVE to see it happen, and see what Jeff can do. I doubt it will happen, but it never hurts to ask!

Comment

It would be great for the sport, especially if Robbie is in the race too.
      "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

I like it.

But it would just be a one-shot deal.

What the IRL needs is the NEXT Jeff Gordon.

Who is currently gunning for a record-setting 20th USAC win in a season.

Then they need the next one beyond that. You don't find those guys at a club race, or behind a briefcase full of cash.
        "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

To me, if Jeff never drives Indy, it will be one of the biggest crimes of the century.

I was there in 94 when he won the first Brickyard. Seeing him at Indy would be huge for him and the sport.

Comment

IN Sider wants GM to do all the heavy lifting.

How about the IRL and IMS doing something?

Announce that the first driver to win two out of the three major events at IMS - 500, 400, USGP - will win $20 million. The first to win all three will win $40 million.

That, or double the purse.
            http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Racewriter
              I like it.

But it would just be a one-shot deal.

What the IRL needs is the NEXT Jeff Gordon.

Who is currently gunning for a record-setting 20th USAC win in a season.

Then they need the next one beyond that. You don't find those guys at a club race, or behind a briefcase full of cash.
              No - you get those guys by having consistency in your driver lineup.

You need drivers like Rice and Fisher and Hornish in good equipment every week, for a long period of time.

The nationality isn't as important. Ask Sammy Sosa.

But look at it this way: the IRL would rather have Ed Carpenter in the IRL than JJ Yeley. How many USAC wins does Ed have this year, and how many does JJ?

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch

Announce that the first driver to win two out of the three major events at IMS - 500, 400, USGP - will win $20 million. The first to win all three will win $40 million.

That's a very interesting idea.....
                Life's too short to worry/Life's too long to wait
                Too short not to love everybody/Life's too long to hate

"There are a number of very knowledgeable and entertaining race fans here. There are also a number of morons. Your job is to figure out which is which." - Rev-Ed

Comment

Just what the world needs...$20 million more into the pockets of Jacques Villeneuve or Juan Pablo Montoya.

Comment

I believe J.J. is under contract with Ford.

There is no amount of money you can offer him to run in the IRL. He has to do what Ford tells him to do.
                    http://www.drivechicago.com

Comment

Originally posted by bigred
                      Just what the world needs...$20 million more into the pockets of Jacques Villeneuve or Juan Pablo Montoya.
                      Montoya maybe - but you really think Villeneuve could win in both an IRL car and a stock car? That F1 car he's in sure isn't going to cut it.

That said - sure would be fun to see Schumacher mixing it up out there with Jeff and Dale Jr...
                      I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Comment

Originally posted by bigred
                        Fine - double the purse for the Indy 500.

Make it 5 or 10 million to win.

Comment

No - you get those guys by having consistency in your driver lineup.

You need drivers like Rice and Fisher and Hornish in good equipment every week, for a long period of time.

The nationality isn't as important. Ask Sammy Sosa.

But look at it this way: the IRL would rather have Ed Carpenter in the IRL than JJ Yeley. How many USAC wins does Ed have this year, and how many does JJ?
                          Thought provoking as always, mnkywrch, especially in light of Carpenter's testing with PDM.

Whatever happened to the notion of "scholarship" drives? Used to be that part of the prize for winning the Late Model track championship at Oglethorpe Speedway Park (a short track near Savannah, GA) was that you got to use their Grand National (then Late Model Sportsman) car to try to qualify at Daytona. Our guy Hal McGraw actually made it in 1982. More recently there was the American Racing Series, which promised its champion a ride in the 500 with Patrick providing the car.
                          You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch Announce that the first driver to win two out of the three major events at IMS - 500, 400, USGP - will win $20 million. The first to win all three will win $40 million.
                            With that kind of money on the line schumacher would come over and after two races it would be over.
                            "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
                              With that kind of money on the line schumacher would come over and after two races it would be over.
                              And it's a marketing dream.

You're getting far, far more than $60 million in publicity.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X