X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 33 cars at Texas Jack ?

Right. How bout naming them.

http://espn.go.com/rpm/2002/0822/1421597.html

Jack may be right in his latest column about the chassis being obsolete after the Texas race, but I surely don't see who is going to step up and add 7 - 8 cars to the line up.

Okay - Chip could field a couple more and Mo Nunn could throw one additional in the field.

I guess Rahal could do a one off , but do you really think Green is interested ?

The cars are their, but I don't see the pay off.

Does it really give anybody a leg up on next year ?

Would Fernadez try to lease a car so he can get a feel for the IRL.

And what about the championship. Would it be fair to Sam, Gil, Helio of Fellipe if they got taken out early in the race by a team just wanting to run a soon-to-be obsolete car ?

Brian needs to think this one over. I would rather see the count at 26 and see a tremendous race for the championship.
    I'm talking high banks man. Texas - 24 degrees. - Kenny Brack

Nothing to think about. If they are a former IRL or CART driver with a license and the entry is legit...

If you've got chassis that roll and motors that run, why NOT put one in the show? Foyt and Cheever and Kelley have been forced into it already, but Hemelgarn and other have a backup don't they?

I hope to see it.

What about Penske? Heck, he could start four without hurting his championship effort.

Comment

Jack: "Speaking of Texas, I expect more than 33 cars to make that race."

There's only one problem with that. The 1.5-mile ovals are limited to 30 qualifiers and 2 provisional starters.
      No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

The more the better. Make them earn the championship.

I do not think 33 will be their but we could be close to 30.
        Team KELLEY ROCKS! Get well soon Jason! Three in top ten at KY. Way to go Scott, Al, and Tony!

Comment

Like every cheerleader I knew in high school (and college), Jack might have fried his brain in the tanning bed....

This is just the latest in "dumb ideas" he has had.
          http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

30+ cars at Texas would be great for the IRL! Go get em Jack!
            "...American open-wheel racing is based around the most famous oval track in the world -- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So how in the world does it make sense to center the majority of the IndyCar Series on street courses, road courses and foreign events?..." Terry Blount, ESPN

Comment

I thought it had been posted at TF that Green had sold their IRL cars.
              quote:
              "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Comment

Originally posted by nm:
                <STRONG>I thought it had been posted at TF that Green had sold their IRL cars.</STRONG>
                I know they sold Mikey's to Panther but that's all I know about the Green team.

Comment

Can you imagine the Eddie Gossage Strut if 33 cars were to start at Texas?!?!
                  "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

:
                    <STRONG>
                    I thought it had been posted at TF that Green had sold their IRL cars.
                    I know they sold Mikey's to Panther but that's all I know about the Green team.</STRONG>
                    They had four cars - two for Mikey, and one each for the Kool/7-11 tiwns.
                    Not sure if they sold 1 or 2 to Panther. One went to Kelley - Tony Renna is driving Dario's car. They are currently having an 'everything must go' sale on the rest. It's all pretty worthless a few weeks from now. No interest in running any more IRL races this year.

Comment

The rest of that article is great, but the maximum field at Texas is 30. Predicting 33 for Texas is like predicting 36 to make the Indy field next year. Ain't possible.

-StatMan
                      Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

Comment

Green sold all but their "Indy 500 winning car."

As for Jack, he's always been one for talking first, and worrying about facts later. This is just another in a long line.

(Heck, when was the last time the first run of one of Jack's stories didn't have a single factual error? Even the "Priestly is a driver, not an actor" story had some factual errors. (Although was one of his better stories.)

The only difference between Jack's articles and postings here is where they are published.

Comment

33 cars? They wouldnt start em 3 wide; would they??!!

[ August 24, 2002: Message edited by: KevMcNJ ]
                          Live like Dave

Comment

"Predicting 33 for Texas is like predicting 36 to make the Indy field next year. Ain't possible."

35 in 1979...more and less in other years...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X