TMS and marketing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMS and marketing...

Got our re-up notice for TMS today, we will of course...if we pay by a certain date in October, which we will, we will get two free tickets above the ones we have on our season ticket to the IRL race on Oct 12, 2003...

There are other incentives as well...good job Eddie Gossage...

Ok, I take it back, Howard CAN post something positive

And good news it is. a great example of Gossage paying attention and trying to get it "right".

By adding tickets for those who've already paid and shown they are good customers, he does a number of things:

- rewards his good customers

- gets good customers to bring/introduce more people to the race

- improves attendance and appearance on television

- increases concession sale

- helps build new fan base by introducing new customers to the race

And does this without in any way hurting or affecting the regular ticket sales like a late 2 for 1 type deal causes.

Another good job by Mr. Gossage - the IRL's # 1 supporter . . .

Now if only a few more promoters/tracks would just go to the Gossage School of Race Promotion . . .

Comment

This is a guy that is truly "backing the IRL horse", by his words and his actions.

I'm still a little cautious because of his CART play a couple of years ago, but I'm willing to accept that he's a 100% IRL guy now. How many other track GM's out there would champion the IRL over NASCAR, even when he's trying desperately to get a 2nd Cup date?

I wish ESPN/ABC, and Chevy marketing, would "spend to make" on the IRL like Gossage seems willing to do.
      "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

MattnDallas="I'm still a little cautious because of his CART play a couple of years ago, but I'm willing to accept that he's a 100% IRL guy now. How many other track GM's out there would champion the IRL over NASCAR, even when he's trying desperately to get a 2nd Cup date?"

I don't think Eddie is 'championing' IRL over NASCAR. Eddie is trying to make money for his track. Obviously he doesn't need to do this fot NASCAR. Same with CART fiasco. If that had worked he would have another financially succesful event at his track.
        I have attended every IRL event at TMS. I woudl be attending the CART events there if it had worked. ( I also attended the first 2 WC races at TMS. That was enough for me.)
        Not to be argumentative Matt, I just think it is a stretch to think Eddie is 100% anything other than Texas Motor Speedway. Did he get his training from Humpy Wheeler?

Comment

why doesnt the irl just hire him to be the marketing guru?
          Track Fifedom

Wheldon is a legend now. One of the immortal Gods of Speed.

Comment

I am starting to look at TMS as the new Mecca of IRL racing. (I know, its sacrilige, I've been to IMS many times, but would really love to go to TMS) If Dallas wasn't 800 miles from here, I'd go. (I might fly next year.)

Eddie is a true promoter. He was introduced at the Nashville race and plugged his TMS races. How many other track owners do that.

BTW - They frequently run some pretty good full back page ads for the IRL races at TMS on NSSN. The latest is calling it the "GREATEST RACE EVER". Pix of Sam, Helio, etc. I like to see that sort of stuff. If Eddie isn't enthusiastic about his product, who will be?

Comment

Originally posted by Tex:
              <STRONG>I don't think Eddie is 'championing' IRL over NASCAR. Eddie is trying to make money for his track. Obviously he doesn't need to do this fot NASCAR. </STRONG>
              I was referring to his quote in the DMN the other day regarding the IRL having the best "on track" product out there - this coming from a guy desperately trying to get a 2nd WC date. You won't hear ISC (or the MIS GM) releasing statements that the IRL races at MIS are superior to Cup. I believe Gossage is "ballsy" in this regard, and credit him for it.

The CART incident tempers my zest for Gossage slightly. I was miffed when that race was announced, and recognize that acts beyond Eddie's control caused it to fail. Had that race succeeded, IRL fans would probably have a slightly differnt view of Gossage, or at least I would. TMS was IRL country, and to me, Gossage was the Benedict Arnold opening the gates to the enemy. I'm glad it failed. Had it succeeded, there's no telling what sequence of events could have played out, including Tony's moving or reducing the IRL's dates at TMS.

As it played out, TMS and the IRL now look like loyal partners, and should be for a long while. I'm greatful for that, but realize that one of the partners "strayed" during the relationship - an unloyalty that could have adversely affected the IRL.

I also agree with you, although he supports the IRL, he is a TMS man first, no denying that. Hopefully he is sincere in his "CART event his mistake, sorry for unloyalty to IRL" comments.
              "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

In an article by Terry Blount of the Dallas Morning news yesterday, he wrote:

Barnstorming tour to promote TMS races

IRL drivers Greg Ray and Alex Barron, former Indy 500 winner Johnny Rutherford, NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series racer David Starr and Infiniti Pro Series driver Anthony Foyt will be part of a five-city tour next week to promote the upcoming races at Texas Motor Speedway.

TMS general manager Eddie Gossage will join the tour, which is being sponsored by Chevrolet as The Chevy 500 Road Trip. The tour starts Tuesday with stops in Tulsa and Oklahoma City and a side trip to Norman for an Oklahoma Sooners football practice.

The IRL drivers will present coach Bob Stoops with a signed racing helmet, and Stoops will give them a signed OU football helmet.

The trip continues Wednesday with stops in Austin and Houston, including another helmet exchange with Houston Texans coach Dom Capers. The tour goes to Wichita Falls and Tyler next Thursday before ending at Young Chevrolet in Dallas on Aug. 30.

Here's the link

Dalls Morning News - Motorsports Notebook from 8/22/02

Just goes to show that Gossage and TMS are indeed the IRL's best friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Heath Hamilton:
                  <STRONG>why doesnt the irl just hire him to be the marketing guru?</STRONG>
                  He has a great job with TMS, why leave?

Comment

Perhaps it's less about IRL/CART/NASCAR politics, and more about Eddie Gossage trying to produce a profit at his race track. He didn't "turn traitor" when he got CART, he simply tried to add another revenue stream to his facility. Same with ALMS, Havatampa, and every other event he's tried. Not everyone is fighting the "split."

And when he says that the IRL has put on the best races at his track, he's right. Nothing wrong with saying that. But you notice he doesn't say it a month prior to his NASCAR race.

OTOH, TMS has been a cornerstone of the IRL from almost the beginning. Without solid races and crowds at TMS, it's hard to imagine where the league would be right now. At least TMS shows other promoters that it's possible to draw large crowds with the IRL. For that reason, I sincerely hope all the rumors about Fontana getting the final race of the season never come to pass.
                    "It was actually fun, because you're back fully driving again in these trucks. Ninety percent of the tracks we go to in the IRL, you're flat-out. I was having to lift off the corners some here." - Buddy Rice

Comment

I believe Eddie's contract with IRL stipulates he gets the first date following Indy and the season closer. I'm aware that could change when the current contract expires. However CMS doesn't look very attractive right now. Maybe after CARTs contract at CMS expires after 2004(I think). There would have to be a major improvement in the crowd there.
                      I was there and loved the easy in and out and pick your seat. Don't think it was too profitable for the promoters and was a black eye for the series.
                      While the racing is maybe as exciting as TMS, idoubt you will see a season ending event taken away from Texas unless the schedule is expanded into Nov.

Comment

I gotta hand it to Mr. Gossage. He has put up with more grief from OW racing than anyone deserves, but he still sincerely champions it. I think the IRL should put both his races on network, plus make the end-of-season race a 500-mile blowout.
                        "Thank God for the fortune to be here, to be an American."--Alan Kulwicki, 11/15/92

Comment

Eddie is a GREAT promoter. And he does an excellent job of working the media center. If you have a question, they'll get Eddie to come and answer it for you.

And TMS seems to treat the fans well also. If you haven't been to TMS yet, GO!!. You won't be disappointed. Heck, Eddie is such a class guy the place even comes with paved parking.
                          We flipped our finger to the King of England
                          Stole our country from the Indians
                          With god on our side and guns in our hands
                          We took it for our own!

Comment

At the very least put it on the same level as Michigan-400 miles

Comment

When I add it all up, the free parking, fan conveniences like plenty of restrooms, they allow coolers, great pre race stuff, racy track...TMS is probably my favorite track.

Haven't been to Kentucky yet, but I sure hear a lot of good about it. Anyone been to both and can compare the two?
                              "...American open-wheel racing is based around the most famous oval track in the world -- the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. So how in the world does it make sense to center the majority of the IndyCar Series on street courses, road courses and foreign events?..." Terry Blount, ESPN

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X