Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walker/Fisher Confirmed for 2002

http://www.speedvision.com/pub/artic...L/020115b.html

At a press conference today talking about women racers Derrick confirmed that they will compete in the entire 2002 IRL season with Sarah Fisher. Sounds iffy for next year without some results and a sponsor but he said they are running the whole year in 2002.

Is it May yet ?

I guess that those posters around here that had Sarah and the Walker team dead and buried won't like to read this
    SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
    " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

"It comes down to two sides when you go in search of sponsors," Walker said. "There’s a popularity rating, which Sarah does very well in, and there’s a performance rating. People will buy what she produces in an image, but the sponsors look more at the performance side."
      I think Derrick is admitting their performance needs to improve. Hopefully this means some new chassis's on the way.

Glad to see Derrick and Sarah back for '02.

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: IRL FANatic ]

Comment

Originally posted by dog-ring:
        <STRONG>I guess that those posters around here that had Sarah and the Walker team dead and buried won't like to read this </STRONG>
        Maybe people will start listening to me now. Sorry but this one's "I told you so"

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: trevor83 ]

Comment

Yes, they need new chassis, but if Sarah tears THOSE up, it will be the same problem all over again.

Someone made the observation that Sarah always runs good when Walker is there, and she struggles when he is away at a CART race.

Well, come on, Derek. Make a committment. There is only going to be one league and you need to have your surviving program in order or you are going to be out of business altogether. You figure it out for yourself which league that is going to be and make your choice accordingly.

Doing both series was too big a nut to crack for even John Menard, who will never run out of money. Even Roger Penske had to make a choice. If Roger doesn't have the resources to do both series, what chance does Walker have?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't it better to do one thing well that to stink at everything?
          I'm dead now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Austin:
            <STRONG>Yes, they need new chassis, but if Sarah tears THOSE up, it will be the same problem all over again.

Someone made the observation that Sarah always runs good when Walker is there, and she struggles when he is away at a CART race.

Well, come on, Derek. Make a committment. There is only going to be one league and you need to have your surviving program in order or you are going to be out of business altogether. You figure it out for yourself which league that is going to be and make your choice accordingly.

Doing both series was too big a nut to crack for even John Menard, who will never run out of money. Even Roger Penske had to make a choice. If Roger doesn't have the resources to do both series, what chance does Walker have?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't it better to do one thing well that to stink at everything?</STRONG>
            Sarah has a heck of a lot more problems than just needing a new chassis. Running the IPS for more track time wouldn't be a bad idea IMO. Having a skilled, professional organization surrounding her wouldn't hurt either.

Penske could have operated both IRL and CART programs w/o serious problems. But when the government tells your sponsor to choose one or the other, that's what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Austin:
              <STRONG>Someone made the observation that Sarah always runs good when Walker is there, and she struggles when he is away at a CART race.
              </STRONG>
              I should point out that Walker was NOT there when Sarah finished 2nd at Homestead. I do agree though, if she suffered from cracked tub syndrome after Indy, she has to take responsibility for getting the tub in that shape in the first place. I hope they have new equipment for next year. Anybody know?

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: ZenMan ]
              "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

I am glad to get confirmation about 2002. I hope Walker gets lucky on one of the potential sponsors.

Part of the problem in 2001 was that Fisher lost confidence in both herself and the team, especially the engineer. She needs Rob Edwards back in IRL. In a post about 2 weeks ago, I wrote about an incident I witnessed at RIR that left me with a lot of doubts about the IRL crew.

Sarah also needs more seat time. Lack of practice is not going to help. RM quoted Walker as saying he was hoping to get Sarah experience in Toyota Atlantic. That, or IPS, would help.

I think Walker is right about the potential rewards of being the first team to have a woman driver win.

That may not come in IRL. Shawna Robinson finished 6th in ARCA points in 2001 despite not running a full schedule. For those not familiar with ARCA, the cars are basically old WC cars. Robinson qualified at approximately 185 at Daytona in ARCA.

Robinson has a much better car this year at BAM Racing. Ernie Elliot, one of the most respected engine builders in WC, builds her engines. Dodge will probably see that her team gets some help on set-up.

Robinson could surprise this year.

I hope Fisher gets a win before Robinson.

Since St. James was moderator, I wonder if Fisher and St. James have patched up their personal differences, or if they just tolerated each other.
                quote:
                "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Comment

Well, the IPS is going to solve big problems for everybody. I have always thought that the spridget drivers could use some rear engined experience before the barrell into turn one at 225+mph. and the IPS is going to give them that. We don't yet know how fast or how good the cars will be, but it will still be better than driving a RE car for the first time at ROP.

Sarah doesn't need the experience of going to the IPS, but she does need something to get her confidence back. Maybe walker will let her tear up the speedrome and winchester until the season starts. she really needs to get in the car and kick somebody's ***. The last time she was in an IRL car, she was parking it in the wall, and thinking about that for an entire long, cold winter is really hard on the psyche. That is a long time to think about how the horse threw you off.
                  I'm dead now.

Comment

Originally posted by nm:
                    <STRONG>She needs Rob Edwards back in IRL.</STRONG>
                    nm, you don't know how true that statement is. I like the way this guy(nm) thinks(or knows).

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: trevor83 ]

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X