Fading from view.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fading from view.........

...the IRL,that is.The lowered profile of the series is entirely the fault of TG/IMS.

Almost no promotion,almost no press releases,almost nothing newsworthy.As a consequence,any sort of public interest wanes.Look at CART.No real good news to report but they make the sports pages day after day,even if its just some meaningless quote or bit of PR spin from Pook.The point is they are staying in the public eye and the IRL is not.

Say what you want about taking the highroad,but the jabs and putdowns coming from CART get media play and this silence looks pathetic,like the IRL has no refutation.
    How about deMatta's comment on how the IRL doesn't care about safety?Where was the indignant response?Where was the statistical evidence to the contrary?

Once again we are in a critical period,when deals are done for next year.Perhaps TG is just very confident but I see this recent silence as a negative.We need something,throw us a bone,SOMETHING!

Personally,I would be more than happy if the IRL traded barbs and putdowns with CART on a daily basis.Heck,lots of ammunition to use,and it will generate PR,something sorely needed.

As I have said before,CART is in the process of putting their house in order and the IRL is sitting back,passively,thinking the great racing will promote itself.[which it cannot do,as this year has proved.]

The posters here that are so confident of CART's demise are going to be surprised by their resilience.They can time buy a good TV sched.,they can pay teams to run and they seem to have most of the media in their back pockets.

If so many people have a vested interest in the success of the IRL,how about showing it?Let's see some promtion[how about buying time and putting the nightraces on a network?How about making sure that all the races are network,while were at it? ]

CART has the PR machine,the IRL relies on product.The IRL product is vastly superior but the lack of a PR campaign keeps the fanbase stagnant.
    Look at CARTs season.I have watched CART since there has been a CART and this year must surely be the dullest,far and away.The IRL season is perhaps their best ever but put the 2 on at the same time and ratings are a wash.That tells me something.
    ...the spice must flow.....

I hear what you are saying, but I try to keep in mind that three years ago the CART only crowd, and the media, never thought the IRL would last, or that CART would falter.

If you had told us two years ago that:

1. CART in 2003 would have a single engine manufacturer and in all liklihood fight like hel# to get 20 cars to the grid.

2. Toyota and Honda were joining the IRL.

3. Penske would be going into his second year in the IRL.

4. ABC contract would be extended till 2007 for the IRL, and CART was buying time on CBS for some of the races.

5. A third chassis manufacturer coming on board to the IRL, and rumours of Lola in 2004.

these are just a few. But if you had told me the above 2 years ago, I would have never believed it.

I think TG is just letting the product talk, and has been stated here before, the silly season is going to be the silliest in the history of this sport.

Is there more the IRL could do? Of course, but I think the glass is more than half full at this time.

Comment

I'd say the IRL is relaxing on the deck sipping a Pina Colada, while CART is in the pool splashing around like a child trying to get someone to notice.......

Pretty soon the IRL is going to get into the water, and dunk CART for good.
      Track Fifedom

Wheldon is a legend now. One of the immortal Gods of Speed.

Comment

Having just watched in on HBO, the movie "Driven" can only continue to damage [email protected]'s reputation.

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: fatusone ]

Comment

For seven years Tony George has taken the high road and permitted Cart to bring about its own destruction.

This has proven to be the correct method.
          Center Grove Trojans
          2008 5A Football State Champs
          2015 6A Football State Champs
          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
          2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

A wise man once said "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." Shhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Cant_hit_apex:
              <STRONG>A wise man once said "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." Shhhhh.

</STRONG>
              Have a very blessed day!

Comment

The only noise CART is making is people guessing when or if it will die. I'm glad the IRL does not have the "daily news" that CART has.
                Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath Hamilton:
                  <STRONG>I'd say the IRL is relaxing on the deck sipping a Pina Colada, while CART is in the pool splashing around like a child trying to get someone to notice.......

Pretty soon the IRL is going to get into the water, and dunk CART for good.</STRONG>
                  Excellent analysis.

No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

"'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

I'd say CART is doing a reasonable job of removing doubt.

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: Fueler ]

Comment

That seems to be the problem,too many assume that CART is dead and that TG will pick up the pieces and have things all his own way.

That's a fallicy and the truth is CART will hang in there.Too many people stand to loose too much to let the thing go.If we accept that perhaps we can move forward with a better plan than waitng for CART to die...
                      ...the spice must flow.....

Comment

The IRL needs to kick their marketing into high gear.

They should be planning some kind of coordinated marketing campaign, along with big sponsors (like Chevy/Toyota/Honda and Firestone and Red Bull and Marlboro and ABC), for 2003.

Instead, I'm sure they'll deliver the same garbage they always have, and they'll hem & haw as to why the stands are so empty and the ratings are so blah.
                        http://motorsportsblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

h
                          -Kaaveh
                          http://www.humansofracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by mnkywrch:
                            <STRONG>The IRL needs to kick their marketing into high gear.

They should be planning some kind of coordinated marketing campaign, along with big sponsors (like Chevy/Toyota/Honda and Firestone and Red Bull and Marlboro and ABC), for 2003.</STRONG>
                            Personally, I feel this will all happen in spades next year. I may be out in left field on this, but I'm beginning to believe that 2002 is sort of a "lay low" year for TG and the IRL. I don't know if it was planned to be this way in the beginning or whether early season circumstances lead that direction.

I have no trouble envisioning the wealth of promotional opportunities that will be leveraged in 2003. There are almost too many to think about.
                            "IRL is better at everything except selling themselves." -- Jennifer Floyd Engel, ESPN/103.3 FM

Comment

I don't know, the "high road" was finally sucessful in a ballot recount in Florida a couple of years back.

But considering some of the late CART driver "news"..............

Would seeing J.P. laying on a therapy table and having acupuncture..........be good press?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X