Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Format for RPM2Nite

RPM2Nite to Use Sketch Artists

Bristol, Connecticut (Reuters) RPM2Nite will begin using sketch artists to depict scenes from NASCAR races. A small box with "artist's rendering" will appear in the lower right-hand corner of the screen so that viewers will not confuse the life-like sketches with the still photos that are currently used by RPM2Nite to cover NASCAR.

Highly places sources at ESPN confirmed the move, adding, "In many instances we are unable to obtain a photo of a specific event that occurred during a race. Sketch artists will help us to solve this problem and allow more compete coverage."
    When I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.
    - Jack Handey

I am unable to tell if this is a joke or not, but I hope it is!!

RPM tonite will soon look like Court TV.

Comment

LOL ........

I was hoping that they would use interpretive mimes, dressed of course in the colors of the cars they are depicting.
      Track Fifedom

Wheldon is a legend now. One of the immortal Gods of Speed.

Comment

They could use little hand puppets also. You know, maybe have a little puppet throwing a helmet or showing his backside to a cardboard cutout stock car. It's got possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Cant_hit_apex:
          <STRONG>They could use little hand puppets also. You know, maybe have a little puppet throwing a helmet or showing his backside to a cardboard cutout stock car. It's got possibilities.</STRONG>

Comment

Ha, ha, ha. Laugh all you want. It's easy to kick a dog while it's down. BTW, still photos from Nascar or not, there are still four times as many stock car fans that watch the show than open wheel. Of course you could say that about the race broadcasts too. Have a nice day!

Also, tonight's show will feature a story on AJ IV, with moving video.

Comment

Originally posted by bodellg:
              <STRONG>there are still four times as many stock car fans that watch the show than open wheel.</STRONG>
              I guess they couldn't figger out howta change the channel to SpeedTV

...sorry that was too wide open to ignore
              "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

c'mon bodellg - you have to admit the "hand puppet" comment was pretty funny

what's next . . .

"the following is a re-creation of the event depicted"

with simulated wrecks and driver "doubles"

Actually I think that is the perfect plan bodellg -- just "dumb down" the NASCAR depiction, reduce it to the ridiculous so to speak, to the point where NASCAR has to let you back in or risk looking even more foolish than they normally do . . .

Comment

I continue to advocate that ESPN begin a hard-hitting, award-winning series devoted to NASCAR personalities called 'Outside The Gates.'

They'd have to be sure to promote it in every other freaking break instead of promoting their actual broadcast partner, God forbid.

Comment

<STRONG>BTW, still photos from Nascar or not, there are still four times as many stock car fans that watch the show than open wheel. </STRONG>
                    At least you guys are doing all you can to reverse those fortunes.

We, as fans, know what you guys can do with a series if you put the effort in (NASCAR in the 80's). We appreciate that skill and effort. We just wish you would/could focus the same attention on developing the IRL. Your record and past performance shows you can.

That's what bums me out the most. ESPN has the ability to create a valuable entity for itself, but instead spends time worrying about the one that got away.
                    "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

Originally posted by mattndallas:
                      <STRONG>We, as fans, know what you guys can do with a series if you put the effort in (NASCAR in the 80's). We appreciate that skill and effort. We just wish you would/could focus the same attention on developing the IRL. Your record and past performance shows you can.</STRONG>
                      matt, what you aren't seeing is that in the early '80s when ESPN was just getting off the ground, it's didn't have much else to show which is why they pushed NASCAR so hard. Now that they have most of the major sports on board in some fashion, the lesser sports get less attention. Thus the motorsports coverage isn't close to what is was a decade ago on the network.

A good read on the evolution of ESPN from a joke nobody thought would work into the one of the most influential media concerns going is a book called "ESPN: The UNcensored History."

It has a good section on ESPN and their relationship with NASCAR in the early days. That type of thing probably won't be happening again any time soon.

Comment

<STRONG> It's easy to kick a dog while it's down. </STRONG>
                        Most dogs have enough sense to move after the first kick.
                        “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                        I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                        I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

That sounds like some good advice.

Comment

[qb]Ha, ha, ha. Laugh all you want. It's easy to kick a dog while it's down. BTW, still photos from Nascar or not, there are still four times as many stock car fans that watch the show than open wheel. Of course you could say that about the race broadcasts too. Have a nice day!
                            qb]
                            real professional there.

for a minute there i thought you were from a cable access show.

well, of course, the open wheel stuff only gets one night as opposed to the other 4 being geared towards nascar. so theres your 4 times.

in my opinion, your attitude and comeback on this whole topic stinks. if you cant admit that the idea of having sketch art represent actual racing coverage is funny (if not utterly stupid), then ESPN has some serious, serious problems.

you wanna talk about kicking dogs? how about the fact that RPM does stupid stuff like using sketches to cover NASCAR, rather than run with the Indy Cars, who are supposedly partners, and who would bend over backwards to work with you.

perhaps the reason that your indy car viewership is so low is because of your poor attitude (see above comment).

i may SEEM to have one, but after reading your statement, can you blame me?

it must be hard for espn to make any statements at all, with your face buried nose deep in nascar.

take a good look out the window, there's tony george holding a butter knife.

get a clue.

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: doitagain ]
                            Track Fifedom

Wheldon is a legend now. One of the immortal Gods of Speed.

Comment

<STRONG>Ha, ha, ha. Laugh all you want. It's easy to kick a dog while it's down. BTW, still photos from Nascar or not, there are still four times as many stock car fans that watch the show than open wheel. Of course you could say that about the race broadcasts too. Have a nice day!

Also, tonight's show will feature a story on AJ IV, with moving video.</STRONG>
                              Sorry bodellg, just having a little fun with your nascar situation. I realize nascar is the problem not you guys. Keep up the good work!

Now if I can just pull myself off the floor after reading some of the other posts...interpretive mimes...hand puppets...re-creation of the event depicted...'Outside The Gates...

I would really like to see Saturday Night Live tackle this topic.
                              When I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.
                              - Jack Handey

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X