Railbird namedropped in NSSN....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railbird namedropped in NSSN....

I was reading the "Editor's Notebook" in the latest issue of National Speed Sport News, and was surprised to see Chris Economacki mention Railbird's name at the very end. I didn't know 'Bird used to write for NSSN. I guess you learn something new every 3 days or so....
    "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Is ol' Chris just trying to get in our good graces at TF??
    "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Maybe you're right, Rev. Perhaps this is Chris E's way to "lock up the TrackForum vote" as they say in political circles
      "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

I read that in NSSN as well but I didn't think it was our "Grand Poo Bah"
        SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
        " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

Would that be called a bird dropping?
          "IRL" ... what IS that anyway?

J. Michael Ringham
          Vice President, Marketing
          IndyCar® Series Indy Pro Series

www.jonescams.com yankeegoback.com

Comment

Originally posted by CamKing:
            <STRONG>Would that be called a bird dropping? </STRONG>
            There will be a " Bird dropping" this Thursday night at the Flag Room at around 6:00 PM

SENسR MODERATOR......

"Better To Be Judged By Twelve Than Carried By Six"
            " Only Those Who Will Risk Going Too Far....Can Possibly Find Out How Far One Can Go "...T.S. Elliot....

Comment

It was most definitely our Railbird. Considering the subject of the comment, I'm not surprised that 'Bird hasn't added anything to this thread.

Comment

Sorry to dissapoint, it ain't me.

That was about three seconds of amazement..A buddy of mine called me about it before I read Chris's column. The spelling of the last name is close also.

I believe the John Gahagan "Railbird" may have penned the classic "Railbird's Christmas" which still floats around to this day in a search engine near you. Classic stuff.

The John Gaughan "Railbird" has penned quite a few poorly spelled rants that unfortunately can be found floating around Track Forum.

While the term railbird has it's earliest connections to horseracing, it was commonly used by the old sportswriters here in Indy to describe the quasi experts (bullshooters), that spent way too much time hanging around the old speedplant during the month of May. That and the fact that the term is also used to describe an onlooking non-participant at a highstakes poker game pretty much described my place in racing.

After leaving SpeedNet as jrg-51 in winter of 97/98 and heading out into uncharted territories, the term popped to mind one night and I was suprised to find that it was unused in any motorsport site I could find, (there's another one on the underground dragracing sites nowdays but we don't cross paths very often) so I started using it.

Since then I've thought about dropping it and just using my name. I figure since I go out and meet people face to face anyway what's the point?

But what the hey?...part of the fun of the old tree house was the secret password.

EEEaaaKeeey (can any of you old [email protected] tell me where that came from?)

Now, is this me?

http://www.autoextremist.com/archive...05/page2.shtml

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: Railbird ]
                "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Well if that don't take the shine off the apple. . .

We still love ya' 'bird!
                  "If TF members were given solid gold cars, some would complain about the color." - stnkypete

Comment

Dang, 'Bird. I thought it was a misspell in the article. I couldn't believe that he would refer to a "Railbird" with a spelling THAT close to yours if it wasn't. Oh well, it's a coincidental world, I guess. And to think I was almost ready to respect your opinion! I guess the good news is this means you're not suffering from the rectal problems mentioned in the article.

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: ZenMan ]

Comment

the original Lassie TV show

E AW Key!

Comment

misbehavin nails the Lassie reference.
                        "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

I still use the term"Railbird",does that mean I'm old?
                          Is it May yet?
                          Take me back to a world gone away-James Pankow

Comment

I thought it was too when I saw it. But did you see that John Graham of daytona Speedway said there have been no IRL discussuions and he didn't see an IRL race there on the horizon. It ain't just talk when it's the guy that runs the track, the IRL isn't going to Daytona.
                            "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                            "They're criminals"
                            "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X